How do you check that programs are closed and not running? How do you check for background processes?

Or are only BB native applications allowed to run without showing up on the screen? So any third party downloaded app, once closed is closed? I heard twitter or skype is not the case even?
    07-12-13 11:45 PM
    Are you talking about "Apps Manager" on Legacy devices? Because they don't have one out yet, but I think 10.2.0.663 will address this. Currently only a few native apps ie. BBM and a few android ports ie. Skype can run in the background.
    07-12-13 11:50 PM
    I dont know. I guess I'm using a windows analogy of task manager where I can tell all things running in the background. Just in case. I downloaded some games that didnt work and the author looked shady so wana make sure I dont have some malware thing.

So there is no way to check background processes? Or something native to the BB OS that allows you to see whats running?

The fact even skype, a third party software, is allowed to run in the background while not showing up on the dash like BeBuzz does, is a little disconcerting. I dont mind native BB apps running in the background but I wana make sure no third party is unless I let it.
    07-12-13 11:53 PM
    Right now nothing can run "headless" or in the background. OS10.2 will address this

Posted via CB10
    Dave XII likes this.
    07-13-13 12:10 AM
    Thanks Im reading up on this now.

However I also read one developer said something about push being able to effectively control the program. So you can have your program closed not in active frame, and receive push command, it will open, do whatever and close back. They say thats how twitter and skype gets to keep working even while closed. So why cant someone making a malware take advantage of this?

I really hope they put a thing in place where you clearly see everything running in the background if they allow background processes. BB always pride themselves on security. Letting background processes run seems dangerous to me. Afterall its surposed to be a step up from android and iOS.

But regardless, there is no way to see what is actively running? So how do you even know after you uninstall something, or even if a malware program is left installed (but yo udont know its malware), how do you know they are not running int he background?
    07-13-13 12:25 AM
    Thanks Im reading up on this now.

However I also read one developer said something about push being able to effectively control the program. So you can have your program closed not in active frame, and receive push command, it will open, do whatever and close back. They say thats how twitter and skype gets to keep working even while closed. So why cant someone making a malware take advantage of this?

I really hope they put a thing in place where you clearly see everything running in the background if they allow background processes. BB always pride themselves on security. Letting background processes run seems dangerous to me. Afterall its surposed to be a step up from android and iOS.

But regardless, there is no way to see what is actively running? So how do you even know after you uninstall something, or even if a malware program is left installed (but yo udont know its malware), how do you know they are not running int he background?
    Push notifications have to be registered through the BlackBerry NOC server, that's why malware won't get through. BlackBerry has to approve your app, than they send you a NOC key to run.

10.2 will be bringing an app manager and resource monitor as well
    How do you check for all background processes and programs running?-img_00000009.png

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 12:37 AM
    Push notifications have to be registered through the BlackBerry NOC server, that's why malware won't get through. BlackBerry has to approve your app, than they send you a NOC key to run.

10.2 will be bringing an app manager and resource monitor as well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000009.png 
Views:	1041 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	182085

Posted via CB10
    Oh great thanks.

So basically, for 10.1, once a program is closed thats it for most of them. There are some that can get closed and still run. Like twitter and skype. But these were specifically approved by BB to allow push commands. And we can trust twitter and skype (implied).

As for 10.2, everybody gets to do background processes (Im not convinced this is actually a good thing though). But now, there is a resource monitor screen for you to check whats running?
    07-13-13 12:41 AM
    Another thing I dont understand about this OS compared to OS6.

In OS6 you can clearly define very specifically what each and every program can do. Including whether they can access the internet, wifi etc.

Now it seems everything is dumbed down. And infact, most can access the interenet or wifi whether you approve or not. For example, I have the poker game, and it can play multiplayer, and I cant even not stop them from having online access. How is such an implimentation supposed to be high security?

Im also wondering, why so many apps want to have access to your shared files etc? Most of these are just stupid games. Clearly they are data mining right?
    07-13-13 12:44 AM
    Im also wondering, why so many apps want to have access to your shared files etc? Most of these are just stupid games. Clearly they are data mining right?
    Read my reply on your other thread. BlackBerry uses Trend Micro to find "data miners" in App World. When the started using this technolgy they found a couple, deleted them from App World, notified all the users who installed them.

By the way, I think your trust in skype is missplaced. Microsoft has made significant changes to the skype protocol that makes it less secure.
    07-13-13 10:37 AM
    Download TaskManager from app world. Its free and allows you to "kill" apps running in background.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:34 PM
    People also tend not to understand what the permissions actually mean. By requesting access to "shared files" the application is basically asking for read/write access to the shared portion of memory which lies outside its sandbox. This can include file access to, say, ScoreLoop files for logging and saving trophies and accomplishments. If a games cannot "share" this file, how do you expect ScoreLoop to share what it's supposed to? Not all requests are evil...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful and think about access before you grant it, but also think about how development works. Do you freak out when a Windows program wants to read/write something from your "My Documents" folder?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-17-13 10:44 PM