Okay so I read al lot of people rejoicing when their carriers (finally) rolls out a certain update.

But I bought my phone (the most excellent Q5 btw) simlock free and use a sim-only subscription.

Who rolls out MY updates? My carrier, who maybe doesn't even know what phone I use? Or my regional BlackBerry office? Or BlackBerry in Waterloo, CA?

Posted on the awesome Blackberry Q5
    03-02-14 10:08 AM
    Your carrier rolls the updates out unless you use sachesi to load an os or BlackBerry link. But ultimately it's the carrier that rolls out the updates. BlackBerry doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:51 PM
    I also have questions about this. With the legacy devices, it was always the carriers who rolled out updates, or a user could use the autoloader to load an update from another carrier. This was regardless of whether one owned a locked device from the carrier or an unlocked device that the carrier didn't even carry.

Now, it seems that some people who have unlocked devices have gotten updates pushed to their devices without the carrier releasing the update. I know several AT&T BB10 users who have unlocked devices that they purchased elsewhere and they received the OTA 10.2.1 update. AT&T hasn't released the update...

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:56 PM
    Your carrier rolls the updates out unless you use sachesi to load an os or BlackBerry link. But ultimately it's the carrier that rolls out the updates. BlackBerry doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    That seems strange as I don't even have a dataplan... I update through wi-fi.

Blackberry Q5 / Asus Memopad HD7
    03-02-14 01:15 PM
    I had a blackberry purchased z10 on att. When the sim was in, the updates came from what att decided the phone should have. If I removed the sim, updates came from blackberry. When sim was in, I tried update and it showed current os 10.1. With sim out about two weeks ago, showed current os 10.2.1.537.
    03-02-14 03:23 PM