I am a small business owner, frequent reader of the forums but I'm not nearly as smart as most of you so I don't post much.

Anyway, I am in the market to upgrade and replace technology and I cannot keep up with the amount of change going on and the many tools available. Up until my last phone, I had carried Blackberry for many years. Then I bought a Motorola Razr Maxx HD. I never thought an inanimate object could generate strong emotions, however, I hate it. Hate it and all things Android. Phone lags, it doesn't sync well with Exchange, Skype doesn't work, etc.

I do not own any sort of tablet. My computers are all XP. I have a server running Exchange 2003 and Small Business Server. I am a tax attorney, so confidentiality and security are paramount. I am starting a new business which will involve some travel and making frequent presentations.

I have decided to return to Blackberry. I left it because I was frustrated with no new devices and fell in love with the specs of the Motorola. I expect my z10 to be delivered in a day or so. I thought I could ask this group for some advice on other technology that might benefit me in my travels and with my new business. I believe I will have to obtain a new server running Exchange 2010 at least, in order to run BES. What else should I be looking at? I thought about an iPad mini for entertainment and to take credit card payments. I prefer Windows and Adobe programs, need to be able to access things from the road, would like to be able to have client sign my tablet or other device for contracts and disclosures. Laptops are so heavy and slow (at least the ones I have are that way- Dell Inspiron). I am very suspicious of putting things in the cloud, especially with the NSA mess and the IRS mess-- I deal with the IRS daily.

I appreciate any advice you can provide. I am trying to figure out a streamline way to do things on the road with as few devices as possible. Thanks in advance.
    07-15-13 02:22 PM
    I am a small business owner, frequent reader of the forums but I'm not nearly as smart as most of you so I don't post much.

Anyway, I am in the market to upgrade and replace technology and I cannot keep up with the amount of change going on and the many tools available. Up until my last phone, I had carried Blackberry for many years. Then I bought a Motorola Razr Maxx HD. I never thought an inanimate object could generate strong emotions, however, I hate it. Hate it and all things Android. Phone lags, it doesn't sync well with Exchange, Skype doesn't work, etc.

I do not own any sort of tablet. My computers are all XP. I have a server running Exchange 2003 and Small Business Server. I am a tax attorney, so confidentiality and security are paramount. I am starting a new business which will involve some travel and making frequent presentations.

I have decided to return to Blackberry. I left it because I was frustrated with no new devices and fell in love with the specs of the Motorola. I expect my z10 to be delivered in a day or so. I thought I could ask this group for some advice on other technology that might benefit me in my travels and with my new business. I believe I will have to obtain a new server running Exchange 2010 at least, in order to run BES. What else should I be looking at? I thought about an iPad mini for entertainment and to take credit card payments. I prefer Windows and Adobe programs, need to be able to access things from the road, would like to be able to have client sign my tablet or other device for contracts and disclosures. Laptops are so heavy and slow (at least the ones I have are that way- Dell Inspiron). I am very suspicious of putting things in the cloud, especially with the NSA mess and the IRS mess-- I deal with the IRS daily.

I appreciate any advice you can provide. I am trying to figure out a streamline way to do things on the road with as few devices as possible. Thanks in advance.
    I assume you are going to get a new server, if you are currently only running Exchange 2003 and another one for BES10. Are you doing this yourself or do you have an IT company or person you deal with? You might want to talk with them about technology upgrades - that way you don't buy something that they aren't familiar with.

If your budget allows all of this, it is the best way to go... gives you all of the control.

If you prefer Windows product look at some of their new tablets - they can be more expensive, but they can give you a more Widows like environment. There are some that run Windows 8 (not Windows RT) would allow you to use any current program that runs on Windows 8 Desktops.

As for Laptops... if you can afford a couple of servers with Widows Server, Exchange and BES10 you should be able to afford a very lightweight and powerful laptop that will run much better than any Windows XP machine you currently have - and many laptops now have touchscreens and are less than 5LB.

As for the CLOUD... I can see being cautious. But our company uses Outlook Online for Exchange hosting. Carbonite for backing up our servers to provide off site data protection (in case of fire / thief / hurricane). And we use Dropbox quite a bit to send large files to clients. NSA made a deal with Microsoft years ago -
    07-15-13 02:57 PM
    I do want to get one new server with a BES compatible exchange server. Do I need two separate ones? I will only have 3-4 devices in the server. Thanks again for any help and suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using CB Forums mobile app
    07-15-13 09:00 PM