So, I have a mid 30's client that cracked his iPhone once again. He finally agreed to try a Z10 and give it a chance. Everyone else in the office uses a Z10, except for one guy that I just upgraded to a Z30.

I spent over an hour transferring his music, pictures and SMS to the Z10. I tried to teach him as much as I could about BB10, but I'm not sure how much he learned. There is a lot to learn and it was the end of the work day and he had to leave before I was done training him.

The very next day, he got hit by the Apple iMessage lock-in with some ongoing group chats. The next night he told me over BBM that he was going back to the iPhone. He said he was having too many problems with texting iPhone contacts and BB10 was too hard. I told him how to sign into his Apple account and unregister his phone and told him the group SMS chats had to be restarted.

I said that trying it for one day and giving up isn't fair or reasonable, it takes time to learn any new system.

He kept going back to how the iPhone is so simple to use and how frustrated he was over the SMS problem. I wrote, "so Apple screws you over by punishing you for leaving the cult and you want to reward them by going back to them?"
    Keep in mind, he will have to get a new iPhone or get the glass replaced.

That was Friday night. Tonight he BBM'd me and said he did like some things and would give it another week (he's on vacation at a lake and figured he would have time to learn it without work pressure).

I asked him to give it a fair chance and if he really does not like it, I won't argue about going back to the iPhone.

The last time a few months ago, he agreed to try the Z10 when the battery was terrible and the screen was cracked on his last iPhone. Then he changed his mind and got a new IPhone instead.

The thing is, I think his work could benefit from the BlackBerry flexibility, but he is stuck on Simple and doing things the hard way because of limitations of iOS regarding file management.

So, since I won't see him to teach him more stuff and he's not a very technical type person, I need help teaching him.

My last iPhone convert took to BB10 fairly easily and he is not very technical either.

Are there any other previous iPhone users that have tips or can point me to tutorial or videos that I can send to him?

Posted using CB10 on my Verizon Z10
    07-01-14 05:08 AM
    I've never been an iPhone user. But, some find it very difficult to separate themselves from the herd, and more importantly, the iShepard.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and singhvikas101 like this.
    07-01-14 05:43 AM
    There is a great PDF that I have called the "BLACKBERRY Z30 REVIEWER?S GUIDE" which has a great feature overview that I think night be a quick overview for a non-BB user.

In searching for that I found that BlackBerry has some video tutorials online among some documentation here:
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...BlackBerry+Z10
    It may be worth having the user got through some of the tutorials and how to demos.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-01-14 06:28 AM
    There is a great PDF that I have called the "BLACKBERRY Z30 REVIEWER?S GUIDE" which has a great feature overview that I think night be a quick overview for a non-BB user.

In searching for that I found that BlackBerry has some video tutorials online among some documentation here:
    BlackBerry Z10 - Manuals and Guides
    It may be worth having the user got through some of the tutorials and how to demos.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    Yeah, I did find these demo's and sent to him last night. Thanks!

I'm hoping maybe there is some sort of concept re-training for iPhone users that might help him with the different approaches.

For example, "on the iPhone, you do X, but on BB10, you do Y".
    gokulesh likes this.
    07-01-14 01:14 PM

For example, "on the iPhone, you do X, but on BB10, you do Y".
    I'm not sure if a video or document like that exists but if it doesn't somebody should really make one. I bet it would go a long way in helping people transition.

Posted via CB10. Over my carrier's data connection due to "Limited WiFi"
    07-01-14 01:23 PM
    Bets on whether the Z10 will find itself at the bottom of the lake?

The main thing that the Z10 can't do, that the iPhone does with ease, is fail. I have to deal with ignorant clients who refuse to understand how iMessage works. Apple uses your phone number like an instant messaging username, and if your username is not found online, the sender is told that the message failed to send as an iMessage, and to attempt SMS/MMS or email as the fallback. Nope, I'm wrong. It's the phone company's fault that they can't receive messages from people who use iPhones. It's like not being able to tell their reflection from an actual person. They're like birds.
    Shadowyugi and lsf222 like this.
    07-01-14 01:38 PM
    Most people have a problem with swiping up to exist apps, what I'd suggest is imagine the bottom of the screen is just like the home Button on the iPhone, instead of pressing swipe up, hence the concept of home button is transferred to BB10.
    jhanks64 likes this.
    07-02-14 02:55 AM
    Most people are used to a certain system but it isn't hard to teach them if they're really interested.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-02-14 03:14 AM
    You can show him j_calpy 's videos

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:43 AM
    I think BB10 is 1000 times better than iphone...

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-02-14 03:58 AM
    You can show him j_calpy 's videos

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean the I Hate Blackberry guy? ItsmeJC?
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-02-14 05:51 AM
    Most people have a problem with swiping up to exist apps, what I'd suggest is imagine the bottom of the screen is just like the home Button on the iPhone, instead of pressing swipe up, hence the concept of home button is transferred to BB10.
    Good idea, thanks!
    07-02-14 05:51 AM
    Tbh, BlackBerry ? is so simple to use I don't understand why someone would think it is hard! I actually don't remember there being any learning curve at all! *or am I a genius hahahaha*

Just, all messages on the left, active frame in the middle and apps to the right !

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:05 AM
    yes, the ihatebb guy

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:27 AM
    Send him an email with different types of attachments and tell him how to save them to the file manager.

Tell him to practice composing a new email to you and attach a jpg, a .doc and a pdf from his file manager.

Ask him how he does these things on his iPhone. He needs to understand that BlackBerry 10 is a mini computer compared to the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 09:30 AM
    Maybe when it comes down to it, and having thought about it properly, he just prefers the iPhone. It's not a crime.
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-02-14 09:43 AM
    Yeah former iPhone user here.

Basically iMessage is like a trap you need to get out of. If his friends' iPhones still list him as having an iPhone in their address book then all their friends need to change from "iPhone" to "Mobile" in their contacts on your colleagues phone. To be safe, That is one solution.

I personally don't have any problems as I text frequently between my family who are iPhone users and me the lone BlackBerry user.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:41 PM
    He came back on Monday and still wanted to switch back to the iPhone. It turns out that he accidentally left his iPhone in his boat at the lake, a few hours drive from home.

So, he has the Z10 for a few more days. I was able to sit down with him and try to understand his concerns and provide a little more training.

He said he loves the replaceable battery, the HDMI Out port and said he prefers the Facebook app and the Android Netflix app over the iOS version.

This is how he was typing

Help for previous iPhone user-typing-index-finger-.jpg

I said, no wonder the typing experience is bad, it's not like an iPhone. He said he has to use the iPhone like that because it's so small. I showed him thumb typing and he was like "wow, that's a huge improvement".

The second big issue he had was texting to iPhone users that still had him listed as iPhone and he is frustrated with having to explain to them how to change the contact setting to Mobile. His contacts are also messed up and some text conversations didn't show a name.

I told him, yes, contacts can be a pain to clean up, but it?s worth it in the end, but does suck.

He had people entered multiple times in different contacts accounts with different info and duplicate info entered different ways, some with names and some without. He agreed to do some clean up.

His carrier is AT&T. He was very impressed with how great calls sounded and had almost no dropped calls. He said he is constantly dropping calls on his iPhone 5.

I then showed him things like attaching PDF's, pictures and other file all in one email and he like that. He was trying to copy/paste pictures one at a time like he has to do in the iPhone. I showed him how to make a folder and save multiple pictures into it and then easily copy the folder to Box or Dropbox or Zip and email them.

He told me that he understands how much more powerful BlackBerry is and how he could do much more without having to come into the office. He said how incredibly stupid it is, but he thinks that Apple has dumbed it down so that even idiots like him can use it. Even if that means less efficiency and doing things in a poorer way, but he has the dumb way mastered.

So, he's going to use BlackBerry a few more days and with the additional tutoring, he feels better about using BlackBerry.

Posted using CB10 on my Verizon Z10
    Last edited by jhanks64; 07-09-14 at 09:48 PM.
    07-09-14 09:33 PM
    The second big issue he had was texting to iPhone users that still had him listed as iPhone and he is frustrated with having to explain to them how to change the contact setting to Mobile. His contacts are also messed up and some text conversations didn't show a name.

I told him, yes, contacts can be a pain to clean up, but it?s worth it in the end, but does suck.

He had people entered multiple times in different contacts accounts with different info and duplicate info entered different ways, some with names and some without. He agreed to do some clean up.
    Your colleague can also start using BBM and ask his friends and co-workers to install BBM (maybe with you to start with), so that communication between people is less of a hassle. A plus factor is that he knows if the other end has read his BBM messages, and he can use Glympse to direct people to certain locations for a given amount of time for meetings etc. Also file sending over BBM is also great.

I own a Z10 as well since day one and never going back to iPhone.
    07-11-14 02:25 AM
    The JC tutorials:
    http://m.youtube.com/user/phlypboy

Fun. Entertaining. And educational. With comparisons to iPhone.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.710
    07-11-14 07:53 AM
    Just be patient with the guy. I never had an iphone but I did have an extremely hard time transitioning from my LG to blackberry. After a week of use, I was still on the verge of returning my Style and going back where I came from. I'm also not incredibly tech-savvy, and it wasn't a matter of being "ignorant" or "stubborn" or being "trapped in a cult." I use my phone a lot for work and any new operating system is a HUGE learning curve (especially for those of us who don't quite seem to grasp tech things as intuitively as others). It was a matter of having to completely retrain myself do do things that I had been doing one way for years. Even simple things like answering calls became frustrating because it required a conscious effort to hit the right button that I wasn't used to. Now that i've been using blackberry for several years I can't imagine going back, and the OS makes sense to me now, but it sure as heck did not at first. I think that many of us here forget what it's like to make a change like that. Not being able to quickly do business-related tasks almost killed me so I get where he is coming from. Took me a couple weeks of solid use before I really got comfortable with it. Just advise the guy to hang in and acknowledge that it's a major change. (if you keep telling him how easy BlackBerry is and he's still struggling, he's going to feel like he's stupid and go back to his iphone comfort zone for sure.)

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed and Banco like this.
    07-11-14 08:30 AM
    Forgot to add, tell him about crackberry. I learned so much about how things work, and got the step-by-step directions I needed to figure things out by searching the site.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-11-14 08:34 AM
    Lots of great resources here, I really don't understand how hard it is to switch. I've always had iPhone from the early days and switching to the z30 was easy. The only complicated thing should be the hub and all the different layers it has. Other than that though the main home screens are the same as iPhone, move apps into folders etc.

Iphones quick settings is swipe up and BlackBerry is swipe down

Visual differences are suttle aside from the hub, it's apps like file manager and all the extra setting options that set the z30 apart for me. The integrations with box, SD cards.

So I guess show him why it's better, file transferring to computers, you don't have to open 4 different social apps and 5 email accounts, you can just go right to the hub.
    The time shift feature on the camera, the number lock screen, password keeper, calculator/converter, how much better reminder app is than iphones notes app.

These are some of the things I much preferred with BlackBerry when I compared

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 01:05 PM
    Forgot to add, tell him about crackberry. I learned so much about how things work, and got the step-by-step directions I needed to figure things out by searching the site.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. We are the "Genius Bar" without the snark. Well most of the time anyway.
    07-13-14 01:28 PM
    I really have nothing of iportance to add to this thread, other than the to the comment of "separating from the herd." Some of us BlackBerry users are exactly the same. I am one of those. You may remember reading my posts of being on the fence with my Nexus 5 and SG4 and Z10. Changing SIM card almost hourly, never really feeling at home while NOT using the Z10. I can certainly understand how someone can feel "lost" when using something different than used to. As you all mentioned, takes time, BUT the only way to learn the OS is to use it. You can sith there for a day or 2 and try and teach me the ins and outs, but until I use it the only thing I get out of the instructions is "blah blah blah blah.

I am fairly certain your customer will be gleaming and praising the Z30 when he gets home from vacation.
    07-13-14 01:59 PM
29 12