New BB user here. I have a few questions about the interface on my Z10. Hopefully someone can point out a way to do the things i want. At the very least they can tell me it's not possible and i can stop searching for a way Z10, version 10.2.0.429, Blackberry flip top case.

Question 1 : Getting to that new notification in minimal steps.
    - I send a text to someone. I then swipe up to get back to my apps list. Later i close the top of my flip case.
    - BB bings. I got a text message.
    - Open case which automatically activates the screen and i'm back at the screen i was before closing the case. I see no popup notification on the top.
    -I half swipe up and see that i have received an email... i finish the swipe to the right to quick access the hub. But i end up in the last text message that i had sent earlier.
    - I tap the back button which takes me to the text messages main screen.
    - i tap the 'text message' button which shows the hub list
    - i tap gmail (or hub or priority hub... doesn't matter)
    - i tap the new email.

So that took one fancy swipe and 4 taps to read that new message. And it would have been an additional swipe/click if it was sitting on my desk with flip case already open. Is there a better way?

Question 2: Offline Synchronization
    This one is a bit weird. I have a Z10 with no data plan. Data radio is always turned off. Gmail mail, Gmail contacts and Gmail calendar are synchronized to the phone when on Wifi.
    - When wifi is currently on: If i add a new contact or edit a contact on the phone it synchronizes right away. If i check on my PC, I can see the update.
    - When wifi is currently off : If i add a new contact or edit a contact on the phone it changes on the phone. Maybe hours later i connect the phone to Wifi. I find that 50% of the time the change gets pushed up into my gmail contact and 50% of the time it does not. Granted i've only tried 4 times. So it's a small sample size.

I understand that the phone will only pull down contacts changes periodically. But i thought it would push immediately upon connection. One of those times i was sure i left it connected online for over and hour and still the contact did not show up in my gmail cloud.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    CallMeEric likes this.
    01-23-14 02:58 PM
    New BB user here. I have a few questions about the interface on my Z10. Hopefully someone can point out a way to do the things i want. At the very least they can tell me it's not possible and i can stop searching for a way Z10, version 10.2.0.429, Blackberry flip top case.

Question 1 : Getting to that new notification in minimal steps.
    - I send a text to someone. I then swipe up to get back to my apps list. Later i close the top of my flip case.
    - BB bings. I got a text message.
    - Open case which automatically activates the screen and i'm back at the screen i was before closing the case. I see no popup notification on the top.
    -I half swipe up and see that i have received an email... i finish the swipe to the right to quick access the hub. But i end up in the last text message that i had sent earlier.
    - I tap the back button which takes me to the text messages main screen.
    - i tap the 'text message' button which shows the hub list
    - i tap gmail (or hub or priority hub... doesn't matter)
    - i tap the new email.

So that took one fancy swipe and 4 taps to read that new message. And it would have been an additional swipe/click if it was sitting on my desk with flip case already open. Is there a better way?
    Absolutely. Don't drill down into individual accounts. Stay in the Hub, or Priority Hub. All your new messages are there, and you can compose messages or texts from there to. The Hub stays where you left it. That is part of flow. You can go to some other application and come back to continue where you left off. If you want it to be in the Hub all the time then go back from your BBM, Texts or email before you leave the Hub. Takes some time to get used to but I think you will find it a very natural way to work.

Question 2: Offline Synchronization
    This one is a bit weird. I have a Z10 with no data plan. Data radio is always turned off. Gmail mail, Gmail contacts and Gmail calendar are synchronized to the phone when on Wifi.
    - When wifi is currently on: If i add a new contact or edit a contact on the phone it synchronizes right away. If i check on my PC, I can see the update.
    - When wifi is currently off : If i add a new contact or edit a contact on the phone it changes on the phone. Maybe hours later i connect the phone to Wifi. I find that 50% of the time the change gets pushed up into my gmail contact and 50% of the time it does not. Granted i've only tried 4 times. So it's a small sample size.
    What is your polling time set to. If it can't sync right away it will only try again on the polling interval.

I understand that the phone will only pull down contacts changes periodically. But i thought it would push immediately upon connection. One of those times i was sure i left it connected online for over and hour and still the contact did not show up in my gmail cloud.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Spifffers likes this.
    01-23-14 05:38 PM
    Q1. Simply tap the hub icon and it'll go to main hub regardless of where you left it before.

Q2. It should sync up no problem when on WiFi. I don't have experience as I've got a data plan but I've got pics and vids set to upload automatically to Box when on WiFi and that works well.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-24-14 01:32 AM
    Help me use my Z10 better-img_20140118_135327.png hub icon

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-24-14 01:34 AM
    Where is the hub icon? I don't have that.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-24-14 01:51 AM
    If you open text message icon and write a text then swipe up to close, you will always go back to where you left off with a swipe up+right gesture, in this case, the last text message you sent.

I always keep my hub in hub instead of Gmail, or text message etc, that way all I need to do is swipe up+right then another right swipe to get back to the hub. It makes it a bit quicker to access the last unread item. I wish they would add a feature to turn on "default to hub" after I swipe up to close it.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 02:03 AM
    I personally just always return to the hub from any of my messages so that when I do the hub swipe (or peek), I am able to see the entire message list.

I'm generally in more of a rush when checking messages than when I'm writing one, so this makes sense to me.

And I really never sort by individual message type unless I am looking for something in particular.
    01-24-14 02:31 AM
    When in a message in the hub just hold down on the back arrow and slide it to the right. You will have all the icons for each account in your his that you can tap to open. That will reduce the number of taps and swipes.

Posted via CB10
    Spifffers likes this.
    01-24-14 07:26 AM
    Thanks for the help guys.

I didn't realize you could compose text/bbm/email directly from the hub. I see now that there's a 'compose' button at the bottom. i would swipe right and go down into the respective category (text/email/bbm/etc) before composing there. You're right that composing directly from the hub gets rid of most of those swipes/taps i was complaining about.

Also thanks to the guy who mentioned holding down the back arrow and sliding it to the right to get instant access to all the icons for each account. That will be handy when i'm in that kind of situation too.
    01-24-14 10:36 AM