So while there has been no formal app that is headless on bb10, at least not that I know of, I was pleasantly surprised to find this little gem. I side loaded the android version of Tunein radio because while it is available via BlackBerry World, it is not nearly as sophisticated or as mature as the one for android. When I was done listening to mark levin, I closed the app and what what I got was a surprise. The program still kept playing after I was done listening and then It even showed up in the hub as a notification which could then be opened. I had to reopen the app in order to close it. I am running 10.2.1.200 and it is a rather nice surprise because while I knew that 10.2 had headless app capabilities, I had no idea that android were able to effectively implement them. Try them out your self and also please leave a comment pertaining to any other apps you have found that could run headless.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:33 PM
    Since day one, bro!

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-26-13 10:33 PM
    Even Skype is headless.

The real addition is headless native apps.
    09-26-13 10:41 PM
    I guess I'm late to the party then but still I would like to see developers unveil more headless apps

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:46 PM
    Technically they are not headless. The app is designed to run in the background of a real android device so since pressing the "X" on the active frame mimics pressing the home button on an android device(so does swiping up in a way) the app will behave the way it's meant on a real android device. That's why Skype and ebay are such battery hogs they run in the background all the time. It's a side effect of being so advanced that you could run an entire operating system inside another really.
    09-26-13 10:56 PM
    Yeah I figured as much but still it's nice to see that the capability is there and whole for me headless apps were never a deal breaker, having just another feature never hurts. I love bb10 and my z10 and I really hope this company keeps making these great phones there is just so much unexplored potential with this os.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 11:04 PM
    BB finally fixed the issue from the previous leaks too where when you closed the android app through the menu, it would continue to run in the background anyway. My songza never would close. Would pop up every 5 or 10 sec with like .05 percent usage. It seems to be fixed in 10.2.0.1725 though.
    09-26-13 11:05 PM
    BB finally fixed the issue from the previous leaks too where when you closed the android app through the menu, it would continue to run in the background anyway. My songza never would close. Would pop up every 5 or 10 sec with like .05 percent usage. It seems to be fixed in 10.2.0.1725 though.
    Yeah with each subsequent release they seem to be fixing everything that plagued them initially. I'm excited to see what the gold version of 10.2 entails plus of course the z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 11:12 PM
    Thets the ironic android port can run headless but native apps like wallpaper hd by Shao cant run headless

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 11:51 PM
    Yeah with each subsequent release they seem to be fixing everything that plagued them initially. I'm excited to see what the gold version of 10.2 entails plus of course the z30.

Posted via CB10
    with the fork in 10.2, my brother and I were talking about this and we are starting to wonder if 10.2.0 will be a bunch of fixes and the Z30 will launch 10.2.1.
    09-26-13 11:53 PM
    with the fork in 10.2, my brother and I were talking about this and we are starting to wonder if 10.2.0 will be a bunch of fixes and the Z30 will launch 10.2.1.
    The z30 launch sold in dubai come with 10.2.0.1521 os

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 11:58 PM
    Beacon has worked headless.
    09-27-13 12:01 AM
    Ok, here's the misconception: Android apps run headless
    Yes, they run headless IF they are given the correct permissions. This has been available since 10.1
    It's the same reason why if you sideload android FB, it will NOT give you alerts
    I will not post what the permissions are, because people will mess things up, and complain about apps not working, or having insane battery drain.
    Skype from BB World has special permissions given to it so it can run in the background
    I have emulated this on other android social apps, and have gotten it working, like LINE, though integration isn't 100% with the new runtime, but that's expected
    Notifications work, though sometimes pop-up windows are buggy
    I can do the same for android FB, and it will send notifications
    I can promise you that if you convert Skype 4.0 and sideload it, it WILL NOT run headless
    Same for any other app you try, if you don't edit permissions
    09-27-13 12:12 AM
    Thets the ironic android port can run headless but native apps like wallpaper hd by Shao cant run headless

Posted via CB10
    Actually he has to rewrite the app and submit it to BB to be able to become headless. It isn't a great way to go about it but BB wants to put strict control on headless apps since they can quickly become a plague which we see on BBOS and on Android. Not every crappy app will be accepted but perhaps if shao is still willing he will rewrite it for BB. If not then that would be really too bad. Whatever the case native apps will be under scrutiny to be given the chance to run headless. BB does not want apps to run amock on the system and the only reason they let Android ports do that initially was to add apps to their small app catalogue. I don't have android ports that run and drain battery anymore. Skype is probably the only exception but in the beginning it was one of those apps that people asked for like Instagram and Netflix. The only other I have is the ebay app which has since been updated and fixed.
    09-27-13 12:15 AM
    Actually he has to rewrite the app and submit it to BB to be able to become headless. It isn't a great way to go about it but BB wants to put strict control on headless apps since they can quickly become a plague which we see on BBOS and on Android. Not every crappy app will be accepted but perhaps if shao is still willing he will rewrite it for BB. If not then that would be really too bad. Whatever the case native apps will be under scrutiny to be given the chance to run headless. BB does not want apps to run amock on the system and the only reason they let Android ports do that initially was to add apps to their small app catalogue. I don't have android ports that run and drain battery anymore. Skype is probably the only exception but in the beginning it was one of those apps that people asked for like Instagram and Netflix. The only other I have is the ebay app which has since been updated and fixed.
    Yup I know I read his article about headless app hopefully BlackBerry would listen to dev

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:22 AM
    I've side loaded the SiriusXM Canada app on an early leak (I assume a 10.1) and it worked the same way. Close it and will still run in the background. Even shows hub notifications of what song is playing. Allowed me to do background downloads of favourite shows, etc...

All with no active frame showing. Didn't seem to kill the battery too badly either.
    09-27-13 12:22 AM
    I've side loaded the SiriusXM Canada app on an early leak (I assume a 10.1) and it worked the same way. Close it and will still run in the background. Even shows hub notifications of what song is playing. Allowed me to do background downloads of favourite shows, etc...

All with no active frame showing. Didn't seem to kill the battery too badly either.
    This is no longer the case with 10.2 or 10.1 MR
    Once you close it, the process is closed, unless you have specific permissions in your bar file
    BB got too many complaints about battery drain. Integration wasn't working in earlier 10.2 builds. It wasn't until 10.2.0.13xx that integration, especially sound alters from android apps in the background started working
    09-27-13 12:24 AM
    Yeah, It is very ironic that native apps aren't running headless.

My side loaded Call Recorder works headless and records all calls automatically (and it can only be seen in app manager few seconds after a call, then it shuts down so it's being triggered nicely by calls and is not a long running headless app).
    09-27-13 01:04 AM
    09-27-13 01:22 AM
    My side loaded Call Recorder works headless and records all calls automatically
    What's the dev of the call recorder you use?
    09-29-13 08:58 AM
    I have not seen the headless operation yet (unless the FB client has a headless part). I hope it is always possible to stop these headless apps. I just helped my friend install Task Killer on his Android phone, to speed it up by killing unneeded processes. What a mess. But at least you can kill them, it would be worse to be stuck with those processes. Can anyone confirm that headless apps will always be killable ?
    09-30-13 01:42 PM
    I have not seen the headless operation yet (unless the FB client has a headless part). I hope it is always possible to stop these headless apps. I just helped my friend install Task Killer on his Android phone, to speed it up by killing unneeded processes. What a mess. But at least you can kill them, it would be worse to be stuck with those processes. Can anyone confirm that headless apps will always be killable ?
    There is a default app monitor under settings.
    You can sort by cpu or memory usage and kill most processes except core ones such as hub, phone, calendar, system.

Don't think BlackBerry will ever let a dev "lock" their app like that, OS should keep full control.

I don't think the picture I added with this app works.. il let somebody else upload a screenshot

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:03 PM