I've got a few 15ft Micro HDMI Cables that work well with my z10 and PlayBook. Never an issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 02:13 AM
    I've got a 15 footer that works well.
    So YOU say...

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 02:53 AM
    Oh.. one more thing to suggest to OP. Sometimes (especially with a case on) you really have to press the cable fully into the socket of the z10. Although it is in, it isn't really connected until it is all the way in. My micro connection is easily lost if a jostle the phone even a little bit.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:21 AM
    Seriously doubt that there's any significant difference in output levels between the laptop and BlackBerry.. Reason? HDMI is a "standard", and the output levels are defined by that standard... The difference may be the cable: when you're dealing with high speed digital signals, you are not looking at the cable just as simple a set of wires that carry a voltage like a power cord, but as a transmission line with frequency-dependent impedances, etc.. I believe an HDMI cable is supposed to look like a 100 ohm load to the device, but if it doesn't, what makes it to the other end of the cable may be attenuated or distorted to such an extent that the TV or monitor cannot make any sense of it.. Why would it work with the laptop vs. the mobile then? Again, no difference in output levels as this is governed by the standard, but the laptop video card may have an output stage that is better able to handle cable impedance mismatch, whereas the BlackBerry's output may be a more highly tuned signal that requires a more precise impedance match. In other words, both devices comply with HDMI, which requires a certain signal level into a 50 Ohm cable, but if your *cable* is way out, then things may not work.. The laptop's output circuit may be able to tolerate more of a mismatch, but that doesn't change the fact that it's likely the *cable* that has a problem, and in fact, continuing to operate the laptop with such a substandard cable may end up causing damage to the laptop video card in the long run as mismatches cause components to draw more current and heat up.. Decent HDMI cables are not that expensive- go and get another one and I'd bet your problems are solved. I run a 15 ft "cheapy" cable that cost $5.99 and it works perfectly on a couple of different PlayBooks, a couple of Dev Alphas, a Z10 and a Z30..
    Last edited by f_d; 01-06-14 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Looked up the spec- HDMI is 100 Ohm vs. 50 Ohm
    01-06-14 11:51 AM
    Oh.. one more thing to suggest to OP. Sometimes (especially with a case on) you really have to press the cable fully into the socket of the z10. Although it is in, it isn't really connected until it is all the way in. My micro connection is easily lost if a jostle the phone even a little bit.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's all the way in. The TV even "sees" the device. Just gets no signal from it.
    01-06-14 01:23 PM
    Seriously doubt that there's any significant difference in output levels between the laptop and BlackBerry.. Reason? HDMI is a "standard", and the output levels are defined by that standard... The difference may be the cable: when you're dealing with high speed digital signals, you are not looking at the cable just as simple a set of wires that carry a voltage like a power cord, but as a transmission line with frequency-dependent impedances, etc.. I believe an HDMI cable is supposed to look like a 100 ohm load to the device, but if it doesn't, what makes it to the other end of the cable may be attenuated or distorted to such an extent that the TV or monitor cannot make any sense of it.. Why would it work with the laptop vs. the mobile then? Again, no difference in output levels as this is governed by the standard, but the laptop video card may have an output stage that is better able to handle cable impedance mismatch, whereas the BlackBerry's output may be a more highly tuned signal that requires a more precise impedance match. In other words, both devices comply with HDMI, which requires a certain signal level into a 50 Ohm cable, but if your *cable* is way out, then things may not work.. The laptop's output circuit may be able to tolerate more of a mismatch, but that doesn't change the fact that it's likely the *cable* that has a problem, and in fact, continuing to operate the laptop with such a substandard cable may end up causing damage to the laptop video card in the long run as mismatches cause components to draw more current and heat up.. Decent HDMI cables are not that expensive- go and get another one and I'd bet your problems are solved. I run a 15 ft "cheapy" cable that cost $5.99 and it works perfectly on a couple of different PlayBooks, a couple of Dev Alphas, a Z10 and a Z30..
    Very helpful. Thanks.
    01-06-14 01:24 PM
    Just FYI. Both my Q and Z work fine with 6 foot HDMI cable, but not a 12 foot one. I know the 12 foot one is good, because it works with my laptop. Seems the "output" from the BB10 devices is not strong enough to make it through the 12 foot cable. Not sure of tech stuff.

Something to keep in mind.
    My PlayBook and Z30 both work with an extremely long run - more than 20' (through walls, over a beam or two, into the wiring closet).
    I've got them connected via a wall plate in one room to a Denon amplifier in another room - the Denon does the switching to a projector.
    01-06-14 01:29 PM
    Try changing resolution in display setting of your phone. My older TV didn't recognize the z10 until I changed the resolution.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 09:10 PM
33 12