I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day. He mentioned something that I have heard over and over. Business users are not productive on touch screen devices. The employees of the company were given Z10's. He said that instead of responding to emails that are lengthy on the device that he waits until he gets back to the office.

Any Z10, Z30 business users out there? Do you have the same issue? Are IOS and Android business users eventually going to work their way back to Blackberry for this very reason?
    08-20-14 01:18 PM
    Yes they are the ones on the street corners looking for hand outs so they can get another BB or a cold Beer!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-20-14 01:20 PM
    There's likely some truth to that and I don't think it's a BlackBerry vs. every other touch screen thing. Often I find I won't reply to an email, especially one that needs to be longer, from a touch screen device. I'll wait till I get back to a computer and do it. Though it also really depends on my mood lol.
    08-20-14 01:23 PM
    There's likely some truth to that and I don't think it's a BlackBerry vs. every other touch screen thing. Often I find I won't reply to an email, especially one that needs to be longer, from a touch screen device. I'll wait till I get back to a computer and do it. Though it also really depends on my mood lol.
    Could it also be sometimes people feel it's 'too fast'? Like sometimes they might just wait for no reason just so it's not instantaneous

Check Out TechCraze
    08-20-14 01:27 PM
    I don't see how a smaller screen, qwerty device would be better for replying to lenghty emails.

Only if it descourages people from surfing the net and so they have time to do their job.
    08-20-14 01:38 PM
    I sometimes wait until I'm back at my desk to reply to work emails and I have a Q10.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-20-14 01:46 PM
    The only issue I have when replying to emails on the road is when I need to copy information from other email content on my phone. For example if I need to copy a response from a supplier into an email to a customer you would either have to copy it before responding to your customer or if you have already started the email you would need to save draft go to copy content then come back to edit the message to paste. I believe there is a feature that will be added in an upcoming OS to address this (heck the playbook allowed you to have multiple reply's open). I am a hyper connected user with over 20 weeks per year on the road. The post was mostly in relation to the need to just bang things out on a physical keyboard vs. a touch screen. I haven't had a touch screen phone since the old iphone 3G. It was all I knew at the time. Since then I haven't tried going back to touch.

Just to add something interesting I saw on a plane recently. There was a guy in front of me on the isle over with a full sized keyboard bluetoothed to his iphone. I will post the photo.
    08-20-14 02:11 PM
    Keyboard paired to an iPhone - Getting it done
    Have ex blackberry users become unproductive away from the office?-img_20140623_154818.jpg
    08-20-14 02:15 PM
    Could it also be sometimes people feel it's 'too fast'? Like sometimes they might just wait for no reason just so it's not instantaneous

Check Out TechCraze
    Yeah, I do that at times as well.
    08-20-14 02:30 PM
    What they need is a commercial of business users sitting around in the airport. Blackberry users pounding out emails (showing the hub features). Then show emails coming in on an iOS and android device and the user closing the email. Next frame show the blackberry user enjoying time with there family when they arrive home after the flight and the iOS and android users in a room working while their kids are playing by themselves.

Similar in insult to the Android wall huggers commercial
    08-20-14 04:06 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    That's actually good business practice too, although I'll start replies in my phone and finish on the computer, or on the phone later if it isn't an emergency. You never know when a better idea is going to come up.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:34 PM
    The only issue I have when replying to emails on the road is when I need to copy information from other email content on my phone. For example if I need to copy a response from a supplier into an email to a customer you would either have to copy it before responding to your customer or if you have already started the email you would need to save draft go to copy content then come back to edit the message to paste. I believe there is a feature that will be added in an upcoming OS to address this (heck the playbook allowed you to have multiple reply's open). I am a hyper connected user with over 20 weeks per year on the road. The post was mostly in relation to the need to just bang things out on a physical keyboard vs. a touch screen. I haven't had a touch screen phone since the old iphone 3G. It was all I knew at the time. Since then I haven't tried going back to touch.

Just to add something interesting I saw on a plane recently. There was a guy in front of me on the isle over with a full sized keyboard bluetoothed to his iphone. I will post the photo.
    Share the message that you are referring to with remember. The you can switch between the hub and remember to copy and paste.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:35 PM
    I will remember that.

Share the message that you are referring to with remember. The you can switch between the hub and remember to copy and paste.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:20 PM
    You guys are weird, I reply from my Z30 anytime, anywhere. But I find the BlackBerry virtual keyboard absolutely perfect thou.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-20-14 05:25 PM
    Yeah, I do that at times as well.

I agree. If you respond too quickly it proves that you have nothing to do but sit around waiting for emails to come in.
    08-20-14 05:34 PM
    I definitely put off writing lengthy emails on my Z30. Too many errors. I remember on my bold I would type without even looking at the keyboard. Now I make errors when I look down. Usually hit the letter next to the one I'm aiming for and hit "b" instead of space. I can't cut/copy/ paste on a touch screen device.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the classic as a second device when it comes out to be more productive and keep my z30 for entertainment. I had the q10 but didn't like how apps looked on it and wasn't very helpful entertaining my 3 year old when we went out.

Posted using my VZW BlackBerry Z30
    08-20-14 05:46 PM
    How do you manage the device switch? Is it only the BBID you need to change when you power up after SIM switch?

I definitely put off writing lengthy emails on my Z30. Too many errors. I remember on my bold I would type without even looking at the keyboard. Now I make errors when I look down. Usually hit the letter next to the one I'm aiming for and hit "b" instead of space. I can't cut/copy/ paste on a touch screen device.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the classic as a second device when it comes out to be more productive and keep my z30 for entertainment. I had the q10 but didn't like how apps looked on it and wasn't very helpful entertaining my 3 year old when we went out.

08-20-14 05:51 PM
    I think I just entered my BBID.

I had a Z10 before. Didn't like it. Switched to q10 and didn't like it either. Some apps didn't work due to screen and missed the screen rotation on Z10. Had the same issue with cut and paste as on a touch screen.

Decided to go with two devices now. One for productivity and one for entertainment.

08-20-14 06:17 PM
    My Q10.... I can create emails that look like I'm at a PC. Touch screens, I tend to not worry about formatting and I become frustrated with mixed character documentation like serial numbers....

I used to do the waiting thing until I realized it's that much more impressive to reply instantly AND complete the work it seems you're not doing because you can always respond.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:35 PM
    Today I was using my Z10 and G3 side by side. I think about this with my iPhone as well but I find that I am more productive with smartphones other than a Blackberry. While we all know that nothing compares to the Blackberry keyboard. On other smartphones, there are apps that increase my productivity. Accessing files on Google Drive, Asana, Wunderlist, and a few others sometimes seem impossible to live without. There are certain functions that these apps bring to make me productive that BB cannot replicate.
    08-20-14 07:04 PM
    Don't people ever get out of the office to just... be out of the office?

I keep my email set to not be pushed to my phone. I prefer the opposite. Get? Fetch? Manual get? If I'm going to be away all day, I'll check in and get my email once or twice, and even then I'll only read the subject lines. I'd only actually open a mail if it looked important. And if it was important enough, I might even reply from the phone. Otherwise it can wait till I'm back at the office.

In other words, I'm less productive out of the office by choice, not due to any sort of technological limitations.

(FWIW I have a Q5 and an iPhone 5s, I find typing more than one or two lines on either of them to be equally frustrating. However, in terms of productivity, connectivity, etc. the iPhone works better for me.)
    08-20-14 08:28 PM
    i normally reply from PC if is going to be long. I dont mind typing them out on my phone if its urgent but if its not I will wait until I am able to do it on a PC and also not be distracted by other things around me as much
    21stNow likes this.
    08-20-14 08:50 PM
    I'm using my Z10 more like a computer all the time and I do virtually all emails on it. It handles attachments perfectly and I find the various filters handy (especially Priority Hub with Pinch-to-Zoom). I'm getting more and more used to the keyboard, which I think is brilliant, and in particular getting used to how many letters of a word need to be typed before flicking.

I use ClipMan a lot for cutting and pasting. You can cut many different sections and they're stacked over in the ClipMan app (there's a very helpful flash of the LED to indicate a successful cut/copy). From there you can select any number of those cuttings and paste them into your email in one shot. You could also edit them in the app and paste the final version. It's one of the very few apps that are always running on my device. Between that, the file attachments, the cursor control, the keyboard prediction and shortcuts I'm able to do a lot of heavy lifting.

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    08-20-14 09:54 PM
    Im a qwerty guy.

I use my Z30 and iphone 5 to consume media almost exclusively.

For email and messaging its my Q10 all the way. The passport will hopefully mean I dont have to carry 2 devices wherever I go.

Differentiate or Die
    08-20-14 10:36 PM
    I find that I reply to emails on my Z10 that I would have never bothered to on my android or windows phone.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find myself composing long emails on my Z. Definitely more productive.

And yes sometimes I do hold off on replies so some people don't come to expect my rapid responses.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    08-20-14 10:50 PM
29 12