So I ordered my Z10. I am really excited about the OS and where it can go. I may end up a Q10 guy and thought I was going to wait on the Z10, but my tech addiction got the best of me. Does anyone know if there is a quasi-functional version of Google voice I can run. I have seen the question asked, but havent seen any real solutions that I can find. I do not need full seamless integration. As long as it can ring when a call comes in at the GV number and can receive texts I can make it work. If it doesn't have a seamless dialer/contacts integration it can still be functional enough for my needs.

I guess the questions are does a side-loaded GV work or is there a 3rd party app that can handle this. Thanks in advance for any input.
    03-15-13 09:38 AM
    A side load Google voice does indeed work. There's a bar file in the Android side loading forum. I'm using it and it works almost perfectly
    Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    mush10 likes this.
    03-15-13 10:28 AM
    It does not ring however if someone calls the gv #

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 10:29 AM
    Also, Google recently advised they are pulling (or have pulled) support for the app on the BB platform and have referred BB clients to their HTML5 website. Don't know how this decision will affect the sideloaded app.

As an aside, that the app only works in USA is so not cool.
    03-15-13 10:50 AM
    It does not ring however if someone calls the gv #
    Yes it will. Just like on Android, you have to link your phone number online through gvoice settings, and it will ring your phone when someone calls your gvoice number
    mush10 likes this.
    03-15-13 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the info. The side load sounds like the solution I am looking for.
    03-15-13 11:17 AM
    Also, Google recently advised they are pulling (or have pulled) support for the app on the BB platform and have referred BB clients to their HTML5 website. Don't know how this decision will affect the sideloaded app.

As an aside, that the app only works in USA is so not cool.
    I saw that, but that is really the old Blackberry GV app, so I am not concerned about that anymore. The webapp probably works well for outgoing texts, calls, but I can't imagine there is a good notification solution without checking it manually. I could be wrong. I lean towards websites, not apps for most things so if there are notification options that could work. I am hoping that concept is the future and believe BB is in a great position with QNX based BB10
    03-15-13 11:21 AM
    As far as ringing through it might be true but I use a Canadian phone and it won't, more the limitation of Google not the app.

And yes Google is deactivating the legacy bb7 and earlier app. Not the android version that we can port in that were discussing here

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 12:18 PM
    I sideloaded the GV app and, unless I'm missing something, it's pretty limited. Here are the 2 biggest limitations I found:

1) Can't make outbound calls. the Android app integrates with the native dialer on Android phones. This does not seem to be possible with the BB10 Android emulator

2) No integration with native contacts. So, you can't search for a contact to use for a text

The 2 issues above have made the GV just about useless for me. The HTML5 app works fairly well with the following limitations:

1) Can't search for contacts. Have to scroll down long list of contacts

2) You only have access to Gmail contacts via HTML5 app. For me, this means I can't search my corporate GAL

Lots of things I really like about the Z10, but the lack of GV support as compared to every other platform is going to make it tough to keep
    04-01-13 07:36 AM
    I sideloaded the GV app and, unless I'm missing something, it's pretty limited. Here are the 2 biggest limitations I found:

1) Can't make outbound calls. the Android app integrates with the native dialer on Android phones. This does not seem to be possible with the BB10 Android emulator

2) No integration with native contacts. So, you can't search for a contact to use for a text

The 2 issues above have made the GV just about useless for me. The HTML5 app works fairly well with the following limitations:

1) Can't search for contacts. Have to scroll down long list of contacts

2) You only have access to Gmail contacts via HTML5 app. For me, this means I can't search my corporate GAL

Lots of things I really like about the Z10, but the lack of GV support as compared to every other platform is going to make it tough to keep
    I've been using the html5 webapp, it does the job but poor at it. I hope the updated android runtime can fix the current google voice sideloaded app issues.
    05-19-13 03:43 PM
    do you get notifications in the hub is there is a voice mail message or do you have to physically open the app to get your voicemails and notification of voice mails. Asking about the side loaded android app
    05-19-13 06:00 PM
    You have to physically open the app for notifications.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 07:22 PM
    You need to open the app at least once to get it to start showing notifications. Since it is an Android app, it will still run in the background after closing it (until you restart your phone).

It won't redirect calls, since it is only tied to the Android player. In essence, the app acts like it is installed on a tablet. You have to use the website to initiate calls.

There is also an app called Spare Phone, which will do VOIP over wifi using your GV number. I haven't tried it over my data connection, but that might work. Interesting enough, it is an Android port.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 08:30 AM
    I ported an Android app called Google Voice Locations that has a call back dialer for Google Voice. It is clearly not as good as a dialing directly, but it cheaper if you don't have a long distance plan as the html5 version of GV will use long distance minutes. I have used voxox.com to forward calls from GV to my Canadian phone number for free, and that does work with the app.

An issue I did discover is that you will be changed long distance if you use the app outside your local calling area, which defeats the purpose of it. Another issue is that you do need an American number of some type to set up GV outside the US.

The ported version of app is call Geovoice. The app is free and is in Blackberry World. I am still looking for a full dialing app something like Talkatone, which would be much better than this app or the html5 version of GV. I also am wondering if there are any other open source GV apps that could be fairly easily ported to BB10 as I did with this one. I have found some open source desktop applications, but it would probably be very difficult to port to a phone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...st-app-802456/
    05-25-13 06:56 PM
    Greetings!

I am not sure if this if this is any help as of now, but here goes.

I have had this same issue and problems with Google Voice and took a long time searching.
    It worked for awhile but then I forgot how I figured it out.

And so went looking again this evening and came across your post...did more digging and found
    the answer that I had found before.

You do not have to give up Google Voice. It does still work on BB10 products, as just attested
    by me trying on my Q10 before making this post and finding the solution.

I found it on a Google Product forum page. You will have to access via your browser, but you can
    always save it as a bookmark page.

Here is the solution:

"...For Blackberry users who want to continue using Google Voice, we recommend they use our HTML5 app, which is more secure and easier for us to keep up to date. Our HTML5 site is compatible with users with Blackberry version 6 and newer..."

https://www.google.com/voice/m?uipref=1

Once in your browser, you hit enter on that link it will take you to your Gmail sign in account. Once you sign in it will take you directly to you GVoice account in all its glory.

Once I got all of that to work, I have a folder on my homescreen for 'communication' where I have my Google Talk/Skype/BBM/ and now the GV updated. I'd saved the website link to my 'homescreen' then added into folder...additionally also as bookmark.

So one can set up however, at least it does still work just not with a direct app link.

A slight work around but hope it helps. I know that I am glad it does !

cheers!

also here is the original link where I found the information : Google Groups
    11-17-13 11:27 PM
    Bump

I would like to see screenshoots of someone using the android app on the phone...
    11-19-13 05:05 PM