Hi all,

During a discussion under another thread about auto-suggested email addresses, I realized I don't understand all of the sync setting in my Gmail account, which is synched to my Q10.

So can anyone explain some of this to me in layman's terms?

First - I have both POP Download and IMAP Access enabled under Gmail settings. Are these both necessary? Are they redundant? Any opinions?

I should note: I have "use push if supported" enabled on my phone, and I don't use Outlook or Thunderbird or any email clients of any kind. Just Gmail on the laptop and in my Q10 Hub.
    09-01-14 01:11 PM
    Skip the POP access. IMAP is far better. These links should give you a good start.

How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device
    For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account. Use the standard email setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well.
    Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.

How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP
    Skip the POP access. IMAP is far better. These links should give you a good start.

How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device
    For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account. Use the standard email setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well.
    Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.

How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP
    09-01-14 01:24 PM
    Thank you!
    09-01-14 01:37 PM
    No problemo. If you have any follow-up questions, ask them here.
    09-01-14 01:40 PM
    Ok, only one follow-up: is the "Delete on Handheld/Server" setting in the Hub unrelated to IMAP? Just curious what that setting is affecting.
    Last edited by mhg0157; 09-01-14 at 02:34 PM.
    09-01-14 01:59 PM
    The "Delete on Handheld/Server" is a particular setting that was popular in the Legacy BBOS days when the devices had very limited storage. There was a great hue and cry by many users when it wasn't available on the BB10 launch OS's, so it was added back in a 10.2.1 OS. I personally consider it redundant on a BB10 device, as there's a lot more storage on board.

Mine is set to delete on both handheld and server. If I want to delete an email message, it's because I'm done with it and want it gone from device and server. I always want my devices email to match the server as much as possible. If I want to save a message, I file it to a sub-folder and it's out of the Hub but available if I need it. FYI -- A label in Gmail becomes a sub folder on your BB 10 device when you're using the IMAP setup.
    09-01-14 05:12 PM
    It's important to note when "deleting" a Gmail message from your BlackBerry, it isn't actually deleting it in your Gmail. Instead, it's archiving your message in gmail. There is no way to literally delete gmail messages from BlackBerry. You must go to your Gmail account via mobile Web or on the intent.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:34 PM
    It's important to note when "deleting" a Gmail message from your BlackBerry, it isn't actually deleting it in your Gmail. Instead, it's archiving your message in gmail. There is no way to literally delete gmail messages from BlackBerry. You must go to your Gmail account via mobile Web or on the intent.

Posted via CB10
    That's incorrect. How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP
    I've been using this setup for over a year. When I delete an email on my device it goes to the Gmail Trash folder.
    09-01-14 10:40 PM
    Elessar - many thanks for the in-depth info/explanation, much appreciated! Cleared up all my issues.
    09-01-14 10:58 PM
    Elessar - many thanks for the in-depth info/explanation, much appreciated! Cleared up all my issues.
    You're very welcome. That's what we're here for.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    09-01-14 11:00 PM