I am sure I will be skewered by the faithful, but take a look at some of my thoughts on the future of Blackberry. Looking for constructive feedback, not abuse. Thanks in advance.

Blackberry platform future | JSquaredZ.com

Please post a comment on my blog to let me know what you think.
    Last edited by jsquaredz; 06-12-15 at 12:37 PM.
    06-12-15 07:56 AM
    There is a problem with Android though. While it's open source advantage sound appealing, we still need to consider the fact that hardening Android is just too hard, if not impossible which would cause BlackBerry to waste more money. As their only advantage is security and productivity so I doubt they would submit their changes to mainline so the "open source advantage" doesn't really shine here.

Android is also a fast-moving OS which would cost BlackBerry a lot of money just to keep up with the mainline.

Android's design is not focused on security nor performance. Fixing a broken design would cost more than making a new design.

Also, many apps are depending on Google Play Services and I doubt that BlackBerry will agree with OHA and they could fall like Amazon.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    06-12-15 08:19 AM
    There is a problem with Android though. While it's open source advantage sound appealing, we still need to consider the fact that hardening Android is just too hard, if not impossible which would cause BlackBerry to waste more money. As their only advantage is security and productivity so I doubt they would submit their changes to mainline so the "open source advantage" doesn't really shine here.

Android is also a fast-moving OS which would cost BlackBerry a lot of money just to keep up with the mainline.

Android's design is not focused on security nor performance. Fixing a broken design would cost more than making a new design.

Also, many apps are depending on Google Play Services and I doubt that BlackBerry will agree with OHA and they could fall like Amazon.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    What makes you feel hardening Android is so hard? You have to imagine that those efforts are already underway even without Blackberry's involvement. There are a lot of smart people working on Android. I would think its just a matter of time, and not whether it will happen.

I appreciate your comments though. It is definitely something to consider.
    06-12-15 08:35 AM
    What makes you feel hardening Android is so hard? You have to imagine that those efforts are already underway even without Blackberry's involvement. There are a lot of smart people working on Android. I would think its just a matter of time, and not whether it will happen.

I appreciate your comments though. It is definitely something to consider.
    Efforts are mostly targeting the Linux kernel which is constantly changing and not ABI compatible. On the other hand, Android use an heavily modified version of the Linux kernel which by default not compatible to others works on the normal kernel and backporting is the last thing you want to do when dealing with Linux.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    06-12-15 09:04 AM
    Efforts are mostly targeting the Linux kernel which is constantly changing and not ABI compatible. On the other hand, Android use an heavily modified version of the Linux kernel which by default not compatible to others works on the normal kernel and backporting is the last thing you want to do when dealing with Linux.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    I wouldn't agree that the Android kernel is insecure. Linux is widely deployed in security sensitive applications and embedded devices. In fact Androids kernel uses SELinux (security enhanced linux) to apply system policies to default to a secure kernel. Although BB is a fan of touting their security over others, I would think that remains higher in their stack and not at the Kernel level. Pretty much everyone has a secure kernel at this point. Most exploits are higher in the stack where BB could still add their touch.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-15 12:34 PM
    I am sure I will be skewered by the faithful, but take a look at some of my thoughts on the future of Blackberry. Looking for constructive feedback, not abuse. Thanks in advance.

Blackberry platform future | JSquaredZ.com

Please post a comment on my blog to let me know what you think.
    Please show me an Android phone that cannot be rooted, ads can be blocked and I have total control over what resources apps can access. There is nothing to be gained in making keyboard Android phones. This is a totally stupid idea.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-12-15 02:24 PM
    I wouldn't agree that the Android kernel is insecure. Linux is widely deployed in security sensitive applications and embedded devices. In fact Androids kernel uses SELinux (security enhanced linux) to apply system policies to default to a secure kernel. Although BB is a fan of touting their security over others, I would think that remains higher in their stack and not at the Kernel level. Pretty much everyone has a secure kernel at this point. Most exploits are higher in the stack where BB could still add their touch.
    At the level required to secure Android, it would be changed enough to be a fork. Then BlackBerry would be not allowed to use Google Services. They would always playing catchup each time Google changed the source. Good way to kill BlackBerry on Googles part. Make BlackBerry waste money they don't have to change the OS each time new fixes, versions are added. Dumb, dumb, dumb...
    thymaster likes this.
    06-12-15 02:26 PM
    Please show me an Android phone that cannot be rooted, ads can be blocked and I have total control over what resources apps can access. There is nothing to be gained in making keyboard Android phones. This is a totally stupid idea.
    I appreciate your candor, but its not a stupid idea just because you say so. Any phone can be rooted. What would be gained is a reversal of the slide into irrelevance that is happening right now whether you want to believe it or not.
    06-12-15 02:32 PM
    At the level required to secure Android, it would be changed enough to be a fork. Then BlackBerry would be not allowed to use Google Services. They would always playing catchup each time Google changed the source. Good way to kill BlackBerry on Googles part. Make BlackBerry waste money they don't have to change the OS each time new fixes, versions are added. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

As I said, I think Android being insecure is by no means an established fact. I think the only thing needed to secure Android is to run a secure stack on their platform. Secure Android is already running in many government agencies and is trusted with Classified data and communications.
    06-12-15 02:35 PM
    You raise a good point the last thing BlackBerry needs is another bad press headlining "BlackBerry Phones Rooted and No Longer a Leader in Security". It would contradict what they have criticize the Blackphone for a long time. It could be the beginning and end of their attempt on Android and jeopardize the whole image of what Chen have been working hard on, Security.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-15 04:17 PM
    Good point. Samsung tried to be different and made their own apps and UI and what did Google do? They slapped them on the face and tell them to remove 90% of it within 5 years. Now Samsung is sucking it up and do as they are told. Keeping up with Google is a b*tch.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 04:32 PM
    You raise a good point the last thing BlackBerry needs is another bad press headlining "BlackBerry Phones Rooted and No Longer a Leader in Security". It would contradict what they have criticize the Blackphone for a long time. It could be the beginning and end of their attempt on Android and jeopardize the whole image of what Chen have been working hard on, Security.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is not growing their market share. Of course they are touting security today because everyone else is gone. They need to pivot to android to get back to a mass market that they can then appeal to. If you love blackberry you must see this. Android security is good enough for a billion people.
    06-12-15 04:53 PM
    I don't really trust SELinux, since it was NSA's product. Writing good SELinux policy is a pain in the a** (I tried, trust me) and nobody can tell if your policy is "good" enough. SELinux is a MAC and can't fully prevent kernel exploit. I prefer something like this which provides full protection against threat and prevents memory leaks, also their patches has successfully prevented unknown Linux exploit. Unfortunately though, the Android's kernel can't use this patchset.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.798
    06-12-15 06:18 PM
    I appreciate your candor, but its not a stupid idea just because you say so. Any phone can be rooted. What would be gained is a reversal of the slide into irrelevance that is happening right now whether you want to believe it or not.
    If any phone can be rooted, please show me where a BB10 phone has been rooted?
    06-12-15 08:31 PM
    As I said, I think Android being insecure is by no means an established fact. I think the only thing needed to secure Android is to run a secure stack on their platform. Secure Android is already running in many government agencies and is trusted with Classified data and communications.
    It is an established fact. I am still waiting for an Android phone that cannot be rooted. Also, the government agencies that are using Android are using an non-consumer version of Android that was specifically written for government and cannot do anything but government business.
    06-12-15 08:34 PM
    Blackberry is not growing their market share. Of course they are touting security today because everyone else is gone. They need to pivot to android to get back to a mass market that they can then appeal to. If you love blackberry you must see this. Android security is good enough for a billion people.
    A billion consumers don't care about security until they are hacked. Governments and businesses do care about being hacked. That is why those who care about security DO NOT USE a consumer version of Android.
    06-12-15 08:36 PM
    If any phone can be rooted, please show me where a BB10 phone has been rooted?
    Just because I don't have an example of one being rooted, doesn't make it impossible. No system is unbreakable. What in the world makes you even believe that blackberry is better at security than anything else out there? Because john Chen says so? In any case the market that needs top notch security is a pittance compared to the billion people who are ok with pretty good security. If blackberry wants to grow and make a return on investment for their shareholders they will focus on a larger market than a few government agencies.
    Last edited by jsquaredz; 06-12-15 at 09:13 PM.
    06-12-15 08:47 PM
    Governments and businesses do care about being hacked. That is why those who care about security DO NOT USE a consumer version of Android.

Most businesses are ok with the iOS and android levels of security. This is proven by the fact most businesses are moving away from blackberry to the others. We used to have over 1000 blackberry at my company, and now everyone is on iPhone except for 45 die hard users, who will eventually get pushed off the platform. In fact my z30 was taken away just last week and I was given an iPhone 6. Am I happy? No but this is what is happening almost everywhere.
    Last edited by jsquaredz; 06-12-15 at 09:11 PM.
    06-12-15 08:54 PM
    Just because I don't have an example of one being rooted, doesn't make it impossible. No system is unbreakable. What in the world makes you even believe that blackberry is better at security than anything else out there? Because john Chen says so? In any case the market that needs top notch security is a pittance compared to the billion people who are ok with pretty good security. If blackberry wants to grow and make a return on investment for their shareholders they will focus on a larger market than a few government agencies.
    All you have to do is do a little research and you will easily find that BB10 is more secure than iOS and Android. And you don't have an example of a rooted BlackBerry 10 because it can't be done. Even hackers have tried and failed at Black Hat conferences. What you miss is that by giving up BB10 and going Android, you will be giving up just about the only users that still want secure phones.
    BionicKris likes this.
    06-13-15 11:48 PM
    Most businesses are ok with the iOS and android levels of security. This is proven by the fact most businesses are moving away from blackberry to the others. We used to have over 1000 blackberry at my company, and now everyone is on iPhone except for 45 die hard users, who will eventually get pushed off the platform. In fact my z30 was taken away just last week and I was given an iPhone 6. Am I happy? No but this is what is happening almost everywhere.
    Just because they are moving away from BlackBerry doesn't mean it is a smart move. The moment that the company gets their phones hacked, they will have to deal with the fall out. Please tell us what company you work for so if I am doing business with them, I can move to someone else who cares about security.
    06-13-15 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD