Hello everyone!
    I am thinking about purchasing a Z30 (still using my iPhone 3GS atm), but have some general Questions according the new BBOS10 and Notification-Handling. I know that with the last Update 10.2.1 there is now the toast Notification function and the "tap to reply" on lockscreen. But some things i just could not find out and would like to know them before purchasing this great device:

1. What happens when my Phone is locked and i get a Notification from a native BB App, which is not integrated in the Hub (i was reading that only apps with build-in Hub functionality can be displayed in the hub). Will i still see the notification on my lockscreen and be able to tap to unlock?
    1b. Will this Notification will also be listed in the Hub or not?
    2. Since i could install Android apps: What happens with Notification comming from these apps. Are these Notifications working?
    2b. Will they be displayed on my lockscreen/hub as well?
    3. If i remember correct BB has also something like "bedtime" mode. On my iPhone this means that my phone wont make any sounds(no vibration and no ringtones). If BB has a similiar mode: What happens if i turn this mode on and get a Notification from an android app?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day
    02-04-14 06:03 AM
    1. Even if an app is not integrated in HUB it will still appear in the hub. In the hub there's a section called "notification" just like BBM, WhatsApp etc. That section is mainly used for system notifications. Any app that is not integrated, will appear under that section.

2. Some Android apps work and some don't, u will have to try ur luck. If it works it will also appear as a system notification, because it's not integrated into the hub.

3. I dont use bedside mode, so I am not sure.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 07:00 AM
    Tahnks for clarifieng that!
    To Question 2: Is there a technical reason why some apps support notifications while others do not? Is it because of the Android Runtime, which should be improved to support those apps which dont work "properly"?
    02-04-14 07:07 AM
    Tahnks for clarifieng that!
    To Question 2: Is there a technical reason why some apps support notifications while others do not? Is it because of the Android Runtime, which should be improved to support those apps which dont work "properly"?
    Honestly I don't know, maybe someone else knows better can comment. I got 3 Android apps: Instagram, Viber and snapchat. I only get notifications for Viber. The others I have to open and check manually.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 07:15 AM
    Timed notifications and statuses seem to work fine for most Android apps, messages not so much.

General Questions according Notifications Handling in BBOS10-img_20140204_084948.png

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    02-04-14 07:57 AM
    But even if the whole "install Android Apps" is not promoted, this is a huge Problem, isnt it?
    Hope they are working on it... :/
    02-04-14 08:18 AM
    I can't speak to the android notifications as I don't use them for such things. I rely simply on the native email, texting and system notifications. I even turned off Facebook notifications in the hub because I don't need to be bothered about every brain fart my family members have. If they have something important to tell me, they can call or email me directly.

I will add that the phone will not pull itself out of lock mode (turn on the screen) for a notification. You will hear the sound, and the LED will flash, but the screen will stay off until you either hit the lock button, or swipe up (depending on if you have "allow gestures on the lock screen" turned on).

Of course, actual phones calls will turn the screen on.

The previews only show up while you are using the phone, or up until the screen times out and turns off.

3. If i remember correct BB has also something like "bedtime" mode. On my iPhone this means that my phone wont make any sounds(no vibration and no ringtones). If BB has a similiar mode: What happens if i turn this mode on and get a Notification from an android app?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day
    Yes. "Bedside mode" has been a long standing BlackBerry thing. It displays a special night time version of the clock, and turns all notifications off. However - something I don't think Apple ever did - there is a setting in the clock to allow only phone calls. This is useful in that if there's an emergency call from family, you'll get it. Also, travelers love this so they won't miss calls from significant others but also won't be bothered with constant email dings all night long.

The clock face stays on if the phone is plugged in - but stays in night time mode (red-orange hands and tick marks on black background). But, it will time-out and lock if not plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    02-04-14 09:43 AM