@Richard

Vulnerabilities can be within wireless transfer, found within the dreaded baseband processor, in leaking of identifying data through transmission or online and behavioural patterns and any such number of weaknesses.

I'm an IT admin, and quite happy with my position and accreditations, but thank you for the condescending pat on the head, it means so much more coming from a stranger on the Internet.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 01:49 PM
    @Richard

Vulnerabilities can be within wireless transfer, found within the dreaded baseband processor, in leaking of identifying data through transmission or online and behavioural patterns and any such number of weaknesses.

I'm an IT admin, and quite happy with my position and accreditations, but thank you for the condescending pat on the head, it means so much more coming from a stranger on the Internet.

Posted via CB10
    Then you should know about the relationship between software stability and security and not be making naive statements. I myself am a developer working on high reliability and secure software solutions. If you want to be taken for a professional by strangers on the Internet, write like a professional.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    BCITMike likes this.
    08-27-15 03:10 PM
    It seems that with each successive release of BB10 updates, the OS gets worse and not better IMO. My experience, 10.3.2 has not been good and I think it is due to the talent loss that has more than likely been ongoing at BB. If I was working there, I would always be looking for other opportunities as the decline of the company continues. BlackBerry seems to have reduced support for OS10, I really think that they no longer have the resources to maintain it at the level required.

Posted via CB10
    Each build adds more "stuff" to do. Unless there's speed loops to add/remove (joke), it's not likely to get faster.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 03:18 PM
    What's not good about 10.3.2? It's been much better than 10.3.1

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Then why BlackBerry stopped releasing it globally?
    08-27-15 03:35 PM
    Then why BlackBerry stopped releasing it globally?
    I don't know? Carriers have the answer for that question. But 10.3.2 as been way more stable than 10.3.1

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-27-15 03:48 PM
    Fortune tellers. All fortune tellers. Only time will tell who the gods truly gave the gift to.
    Pathetic really...

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 08:43 PM
    He is actually quoted some where in a Crackberry article. I believe it was in an article with him talking about securing android. His quote was "I am fully committed to the BlackBerry 10 software " or "I am fully committed to BlackBerry 10". I'll look for the exact quote tomorrow as its getting late, but I will share the link here. He only said it about a month ago. Those where Chens words, not mine. Doubt this will keep people from saying BlackBerry 10 is dead cause I've seen it a lot in many, many other threads. You know, "the sky is falling " crowd.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    The_Passporter likes this.
    08-27-15 09:36 PM
    He is actually quoted some where in a Crackberry article. I believe it was in an article with him talking about securing android. His quote was "I am fully committed to the BlackBerry 10 software " or "I am fully committed to BlackBerry 10". I'll look for the exact quote tomorrow as its getting late, but I will share the link here. He only said it about a month ago. Those where Chens words, not mine. Doubt this will keep people from saying BlackBerry 10 is dead cause I've seen it a lot in many, many other threads. You know, "the sky is falling " crowd.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    This is so often said, and then what I'm going to say back to you is also so often said...

BlackBerry is committed until they are not.

E.g. PlayBook

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 03:05 AM
    This is so often said, and then what I'm going to say back to you is also so often said...

E.g. PlayBook

He's got a point. They promised to update the BlackBerry PlayBook to version 2.2. And upgrade it to BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry are committing whores. Except they don't keep that promise and leave with your money anyways.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    08-28-15 06:48 AM
    He's got a point. They promised to update the BlackBerry PlayBook to version 2.2. And upgrade it to BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry are committing whores. Except they don't keep that promise and leave with your money anyways.

I think every company has don that so to hold that one thing is petty. They've all done it to one of their lines or devices. That was a last generation product dude. It happens get over it.
    This is new management and it's on a new path that you either want to be a part of or not. If you don't on the simple hint that it may or may not be supported in two to five years then go. Until they actually announce that they are not supporting anymore or there aren't any updates for a year then I will Leave also but Until then I'm not going to try and be a fortune teller.

Posted via CB10
    howards likes this.
    08-28-15 07:34 AM

E.g. PlayBook

This is a better example of why a company should not make announcements until they are sure they can come through. I ran early BB10 versions on a the first Dev Alpha which specs wise was very close to a PlayBook. No one would have been happy with BB10 on PlayBook.

Chen said he would sell Android phones if he could secure them. Does that mean if the Venice ships with Android in November and is hacked at Pwn2Own CB is going to ride that horse for the next three years?

08-28-15 07:46 AM
    This is a better example of why a company should not make announcements until they are sure they can come through. I ran early BB10 versions on a the first Dev Alpha which specs wise was very close to a PlayBook. No one would have been happy with BB10 on PlayBook.

Chen said he would sell Android phones if he could secure them. Does that mean if the Venice ships with Android in November and is hacked at Pwn2Own CB is going to ride that horse for the next three years?

I ran later versions of BB10 on my Dev Alpha without turning on the cellular radio (WiFi) only and I was happy with the performance. Users should have been given a choice. There was a lot of stuff that could have been stripped out of the WiFi only version of the PlayBook BB10 OS that wasn't needed. I just don't think BlackBerry cared to attempt it. They give up way to easily.
    08-28-15 11:03 AM
    I think every company has don that so to hold that one thing is petty. They've all done it to one of their lines or devices. That was a last generation product dude. It happens get over it.
    This is new management and it's on a new path that you either want to be a part of or not. If you don't on the simple hint that it may or may not be supported in two to five years then go. Until they actually announce that they are not supporting anymore or there aren't any updates for a year then I will Leave also but Until then I'm not going to try and be a fortune teller.

Posted via CB10
    Management doesn't seem to be doing much. BlackBerry 10 sales are not getting any better since Chen took over, are they? Nope.

Chen is still trying to turn around a company that's bleeding cash still.

As for the PlayBook, I never really cared for it. But for those that got a device and were promised updates, you can see why the minority felt burned.
    08-28-15 12:26 PM
    I ran later versions of BB10 on my Dev Alpha without turning on the cellular radio (WiFi) only and I was happy with the performance. Users should have been given a choice. There was a lot of stuff that could have been stripped out of the WiFi only version of the PlayBook BB10 OS that wasn't needed. I just don't think BlackBerry cared to attempt it. They give up way to easily.
    NO. NO. NO. You do not get to give your users a choice of a poorly performing OS. It would be a black eye, drain on QA and Support resources, and limited things they could do to help improve. For sure, it would have slowed down and/or delayed BB10 further.

I swear, a lot of the ideas and thinking I hear you say, makes me think you have very little interactions with large enterprises and products.

What was the processor in the Playbook? What was the processor in the Dev Alpha? RAM speed was the same? Flash speed was the same? The fact that the Playbook screen was larger than Dev Alpha still had the same CPU resource usage?

How did they solve the differences in swipe gestures and orientation? Correct me, but can you rotate your BB10 phone on the Home screen, 2.5 years later? No, I don't think so.

When developing a new platform, there is often inefficiencies that you say "oh, we'll circle back and optimize that". So during development, there was increasing size of resources required. They might have thought they could reign those in down the road, only to find out they couldn't. Or they realized they could optimize the hell out of it, but once they needed to add a small feature, it would still tip over the available resource pool.

Full disclosure, I have experience with embedded devices that increased in resources over the years where they had lots and lots of available RAM and flash when initially designed and released, but the success and the years of development kept the product in production for many years past when it should have been put out to pasture and the next gen product developed (implementing compression of configuration to get more available space! Rewriting memory management from the ground up!). It would have been MUCH, MUCH better to EOL it years ago and get on a new platform, using much cheaper and faster components of the day.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    08-28-15 08:03 PM
    there are pictures on the internet showing a "switch to Android" button on some passports, suggesting that at least some new Blackberry's will be dual boot phones.

Switch to Android? - MondoBlackberry.com
    08-28-15 08:38 PM
    there are pictures on the internet showing a "switch to Android" button on some passports, suggesting that at least some new Blackberry's will be dual boot phones.

Switch to Android? - MondoBlackberry.com
    Fake. Anyone can name it to that.

08-28-15 10:35 PM
    Management doesn't seem to be doing much. BlackBerry 10 sales are not getting any better since Chen took over, are they? Nope.

Chen is still trying to turn around a company that's bleeding cash still.

As for the PlayBook, I never really cared for it. But for those that got a device and were promised updates, you can see why the minority felt burned.
    Like I said every manufacturer has done the same thing at one time or another.
    You make BlackBerry seem like it's Hemorrhaging but according to Chen it's not doing too bad. I am more curious to see how it does after launching the new phone and what happens after they release an Android phone.

Like I also said before I'm not going to speculate on what I don't know and that is what Chen knows and is planning. I will wait and see. In the mean time I am loving my BlackBerry Passport to death and couldn't be happier. If this can happen with me I think it just may take time for more to catch the itch.

Here's to positive thinking

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 10:47 PM
    Hello everyone, I have been thinking about getting one of dem 'Berries but lately I read more and more comments where people say that BB will switch to android. Will BB really abandon their OS? I currently have android phone and Im sick of it and need to rid of it asap but I dont want to move to yet another android phone...
    No BB10 is evolving and supporting droid OS more and better. It will be insane to stick to a pure droid OS very soon.
    08-29-15 07:35 AM
    No BB10 is evolving and supporting droid OS more and better. It will be insane to stick to a pure droid OS very soon.
    Who is calming for support, Google?
    08-29-15 08:32 AM
    Only time will tell.

In my opinion Android on top of BB10 will bring consumers to this platform. Once the movement start people will see how the pure BB10 works. Once there is more demand there will be more developers willing to write apps for the BB10 platform.

There will be two types of users the "I don't care Androidie" and the "hands on BB10 junkie". It won't take long for the smart ones to switch.

I for one was a Naysayer of BB10! But with 10.3.2 the OS is maturing to be better than.

I have faith in JC and the direction BlackBerry is going. Great leaders surround themselves with great executives. He has a vision.

Some people need to take their reading glass off and look down the road.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 09-06-15 at 10:47 AM.
    09-06-15 10:29 AM
    I hope bb10 gets a boost but I think we are in the 11th hour.

Chen acknowledged last week that bb10 is not viable given the current lack of apps. In my opinion, This was a strong suggestion that either he forms a partnership to get access to Android apps, or he stops selling phones that run BB10.

I expect we will hear either way by year's end. Probably will depend on Venice phone sales and on either he gets the aforementioned licensing partnership.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 09:47 PM
    Only time will tell.

In my opinion Android on top of BB10 will bring consumers to this platform. Once the movement start people will see how the pure BB10 works. Once there is more demand there will be more developers willing to write apps for the BB10 platform.

There will be two types of users the "I don't care Androidie" and the "hands on BB10 junkie". It won't take long for the smart ones to switch.

I for one was a Naysayer of BB10! But with 10.3.2 the OS is maturing to be better than.

I have faith in JC and the direction BlackBerry is going. Great leaders surround themselves with great executives. He has a vision.

Posted via CB10
    Disagree for one reason. If BlackBerry hasn't the apps that Android has, users won't run it in bb10 mode (except maybe work users who are required to). Apps is the single biggest factor. It trumps everything, even a superior OS in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 09:52 PM
    Only time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anything related to BB10 will bring in a large number of user/devs onboard. Remember when 10.2.1 launched an everyone on CB was like "now BB10 can run Android apps, this will bring in the masses and they will see the marvel that is BB10" or "better Android than Android"? And then 10.3 released with the amazon appstore; again C went crazy that now the OS was mature and the amazon app store being installed by default will make it easier for new users to get apps. And BB10 continued to sell less and less.
    09-07-15 07:08 AM
    Disagree for one reason. If BlackBerry hasn't the apps that Android has, users won't run it in bb10 mode (except maybe work users who are required to). Apps is the single biggest factor. It trumps everything, even a superior OS in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anything related to BB10 will bring in a large number of user/devs onboard. Remember when 10.2.1 launched an everyone on CB was like "now BB10 can run Android apps, this will bring in the masses and they will see the marvel that is BB10" or "better Android than Android"? And then 10.3 released with the amazon appstore; again C went crazy that now the OS was mature and the amazon app store being installed by default will make it easier for new users to get apps. And BB10 continued to sell less and less.
    Maybe I worded this wrong.

When BlackBerry comes out with an OS that is BB10 with Android running on top instead of being "side loaded" more people will start to accept the BB brand because like you said they want the Android apps.to work on their phones without lags. There will always be people that will just be happy with the OS.

The smart ones will first start on CrackBerry and discover there is another world to phones. (I'm "assuming" there will be an option to switch the OS to BB10 or Android/BB10.) After awhile these people will try the BB10OS if they like it they will spread the word to other people. BB10 needs to have a greater following for developers to write apps. These developers might have to charge more for a BB10 app or be subsidized by BlackBerry until the volume is there.

The BYOD hurts BlackBerry because the majority of the people can not afford a $500-$700 phone. However people in the know will pay for a BlackBerry if they find out the Android apps work flawlessly.

Reading between the lines the BBOS might be used by other manufactures.

There is nothing like a BBPKB and the Hub. Once you get use to using a Hub there is no going back.
    09-07-15 09:47 AM
    It would be less risky of a business decision if they sat down and finally decided...hey...we're going to finally actually properly advertise this Z30 successor we should make.
    So let's say that BlackBerry 'came to their senses' and built the supposed Z30 successor. Then they ok the marketing dept to go balls to the wall with advertising the thing. Posters, pamphlets, user guides, CSR education on how to setup and use the phones, etc. So what next? Is the media not going to continuously point out the terrible app gap? Are users not going to complain that some of their favourite apps are not available on BB10? Will a Z30 successor even matter to the world? A bandaid on an amputated finger doesn't stop the bleeding, does it? So when BlackBerry decides to spend hundreds of millions to design and build that Z30 successor and it fails, what's your next suggestion going to be? Because it's all well and good to make suggestions, but the company is responsible to make its shareholders money, not to appease your desire for an all touch phone with the latest specs on a broken platform. No apps, no glory

Posted via CB10
    Easypants likes this.
    09-07-15 06:45 PM
106 ... 2345