I think the future of BlackBerry is make software (hub, etc) for the other companies (samsung, etc). BBM, BlackBerry keyboard,... were the first apps, so, I'm sure, this year we will have the Hub and specific security apps in our samsungs, LGs,...,

Posted via CB10
    WiseEyes likes this.
    03-05-16 03:35 PM
    I think the future of BlackBerry is make software (hub, etc) for the other companies (samsung, etc). BBM, BlackBerry keyboard,... were the first apps, so, I'm sure, this year we will have the Hub and specific security apps in our samsungs, LGs,...,

Posted via CB10
    That was exactly the plan announced by Chen a year or so back.

It's all gone a bit quiet since, even the BB webpage that mentioned this plan has disappeared, so I'm pretty sure that plan is now dead.
    03-05-16 03:41 PM
    Just because your hardware fails does not make you a great app developer. We have software companies for that. Microsoft can bring its iconic software to the other platforms but I don't see the tech world clamoring for BBM, the Hub, or the VKB.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    03-05-16 03:52 PM
    Just because your hardware fails does not make you a great app developer. We have software companies for that. Microsoft can bring its iconic software to the other platforms but I don't see the tech world clamoring for BBM, the Hub, or the VKB.
    should we wait until BB goes bankrupt and Apple discovers the HUB and the HUB becomes the next best thing next to sliced bread? Do we have something that comes even close to the HUB in the mobile landscape?
    I don't know of any chat software that has combined channels, with distributed messages, chats and VOIP in a chat application the way BBM is...Skype is a sad joke compared to it..
    03-05-16 03:58 PM
    Yup, that's long been my take too.

BB: "We're bringing the Hub to android, iOS and WinPhone"
    World: "Why?"

I've yet to see any evidence that users of any other OS are in the slightest interested in the BB Apps. It's no surprise to me that the plan is dead.
    03-05-16 04:03 PM
    Even Microsoft can't sell the mobile version of Office as stand-alone software. Microsoft Office - probably the most successful software package ever developed. I'm actually trying to think of a major software company that actually sells their mobile apps as stand-alone tools. I guess there is some niche stuff from Adobe like photography tools.

Regarding the Hub, I doubt there's much software wizardry that is going on there. You never hear about it as a feature outside of CrackBerry. If Apple or Google told its developers that it wanted to combine email, messaging, tweets, voice, video, or whatever, how long could it possibly take to implement? Weeks? Days?
    03-05-16 04:23 PM
    BB is actually doing that except they are providing enterprise solutions for the commercial market and not in the commercial space.
    03-05-16 06:18 PM
    I think BlackBerry makes some great software. And if you want it, along with security and quality hardware, you can only get it by buying their phone. The missing ingredient has always been apps. With the Priv....problem solved.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    03-05-16 06:23 PM
    If Apple or Google told its developers that it wanted to combine email, messaging, tweets, voice, video, or whatever, how long could it possibly take to implement? Weeks? Days?
    You mean it would be possible to build a Hub without a real time OS? No way!

The biggest impediment would be getting 3rd party developers to allow their content to be aggregated in the "hub". On iOS, you have that to some extent already with widgets, but I think most app publishers still want their users to go back into their apps.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-06-16 at 11:21 AM.
    JeepBB, WiseEyes and DrBoomBotz like this.
    03-05-16 07:38 PM
    blackberry on a global scale is still a viable option for many on a commercial scale, and consumer side. They are just a hard sale in a western world where everything is app centralized, and based on popularity and not reliability. People are more likely to purchase something simply because their friend(s) have it, than because it is far superior and more reliable. Sad, but true. <This is evident with most electronic device purchases.> (TV's, gaming consoles, computers, bluetooth devices, etc.) I think that blackberry will become profitable in the next fiscal year making security solutions, and software for many commercial enterprise clients. They will also continue to sell hardware, but on a limited basis, and mainly to commercial clients. Unless their overall phone marketshare can increase to 5% or better in the next 2 years. They will continue hardware support of phones they have released thus far, and sale thru any left over hardware inventory on the consumer side. I don't see them completely abandoning hardware, but as I stated before it will just be on a very limited scale compared to what we have seen previously, and more so to enterprise users as well as consumers outside of the continental US. The western market of consumers, in a general sense, is more relegated to whats iconic, and not whats quality.
    WiseEyes likes this.
    03-05-16 07:45 PM
    One thing that we know for sure about the smart phone market over the past several years is that the hardware arms race is too expensive to do on a limited scale. Not unless your customers are willing to settle for second-tier features ie ones that show up two years after the flagship devices. If so, then you certainly can't charge flagship prices or expect flagship marketing from retailers and carriers.
    03-06-16 12:26 AM
    Through high-quality devices, BlackBerry has developed excellent software & has continued to add value to the ROI's. Even years after product launches, many gain new features & improved efficiency to the point of many user experience accounts remarking that they felt as though they had new devices without having spent a dime in that direction, yet the new features often encourage more investment in apps & accessories that also became considerations. IBM switched to software as its priority, Adobe's Acrobat Reader is on the majority of new devices, Microsoft's languages are abundantly used in many apps as are Oracle's scripting & databases. So, the big picture of QNX, physical & virtual keyboards, predictive text, security certifications, privacy best practices, security apps, BlackBerry Hub, at least 40,000 patents, & even more innovations & awards hold plenty of potential & are gaining steam, ground, traction, license deals, subscribers, developers, apps, & (yes) profits. Forbes, CNN, CNET, actors, musicians, producers, artists, athletes, & regular people tout & enjoy these devices. Even haters post about BlackBerry! There are updates, posts, & reviews outside of Crackberry. eWeek, Techno Buffalo, Engadget, & more -- including news stations reporting on many organizations acquiring shares of stock in the company.

Q10 has been a healthy supplement to my work | life balance. Posted via CB10.
    03-06-16 08:55 AM