Trouble is right now many of those ported Android apps in BBW have been carefully selected from the available builds to make sure things work and in some cases even tweaked to fix problems specifically for usage on BB10. That would never be the case downloading apps from Google Play it would just be you get what everyone else gets and if there are problems then tough.

Posted via CB10
    That is kind of what I was saying only you clarified it for me. I agree with that statement. This is why whether true or not, I'm not overly excited about the prospect. It will get BB a huge push in the app department which means possibly more customers but then, even with a huge influx of users, they still would be hurting native app development. Which is not ideal for user experience and killing yet another revenue stream and putting into their competitions pockets.
    11-07-13 08:40 PM
    That is kind of what I was saying only you clarified it for me. I agree with that statement. This is why whether true or not, I'm not overly excited about the prospect. It will get BB a huge push in the app department which means possibly more customers but then, even with a huge influx of users, they still would be hurting native app development. Which is not ideal for user experience and killing yet another revenue stream and putting into their competitions pockets.
    Fair point but what's the alternative? It doesn't look like developers are flocking over (so that other revenue stream isn't great) so it's either do this and hopefully boost handset sales because it evens the playing field, or continue on the same track and lose out on the whole market

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:44 PM
    While I understand the skepticism, you all shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what CatlinFD has to say. Just sayin. I have nothing else beyond that to share at this time.
    11-07-13 08:47 PM
    Maybe the access to the play store, will be through BBW. And apps that are compatible can be downloaded. Users can leave ratings, that will help devs decide to go native. Even considering that the AR will be optimized, the real experience is in the UI. At least to me that will be ideal, if it is even possible to do.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:51 PM
    While I understand the skepticism, you all shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what CatlinFD has to say. Just sayin. I have nothing else beyond that to share at this time.
    The King (of controversy) has returned.. jks lol
    11-07-13 08:52 PM
    Just messaged another friend at BlackBerry who works in one of their business units unrelated to software about the matter and he confirms that users will be able to sideload apks directly without the apk to bar conversion process. He didn't have much to say on the matter as he's not familiar with it in-depth but he confirms the gist of what I was saying.
    LazyEvul, Korepab, ray689 and 14 others like this.
    11-07-13 09:00 PM
    Maybe the access to the play store, will be through BBW. And apps that are compatible can be downloaded. Users can leave ratings, that will help devs decide to go native. Even considering that the AR will be optimized, the real experience is in the UI. At least to me that will be ideal, if it is even possible to do.

Posted via CB10
    If this happens this is what I would ideally like to see happen - integration into BlackBerry World. That'd make it as seamless as possible, and perhaps provide a little more incentive to go native by having them in the same marketplace as "Built for BlackBerry" apps. But I'd imagine that's something Google may not be willing to go along with, unfortunately.
    11-07-13 09:05 PM
    This would be a very smart thing for BlackBerry to do and kudo's to them for getting Google to "Play" ball if true. It would go a long way to showing that BlackBerry is a very viable platform as is and might even return a few customers (like me who had written them off for my next device) and get new ones... especially if they can show that the applications run at least as good on the BB10 phones as they do on decent Android phones. From what I know of the VM, this wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility and I argued for this when we first found out BB10 was coming with an Android emulation engine.
    11-07-13 09:07 PM
    I see you're running 10.2.1.896, have you got access to all of this?

Posted via CB10
    845 has been leaked

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    moody likes this.
    11-07-13 09:12 PM
    I wasn't skeptical of what CatlinFD said because that made it more real. I was skeptical of what this means for BlackBerry native developers. Maybe we should hear their take on that as well. Many would potentially be losing BlackBerry world exposure. BlackBerry won't be making that revenue and we may be stuck with Android version that don't work as well as we expect. Just speculation but it means a lot to me.
    Mr.V786 and scrapmetal58 like this.
    11-07-13 09:13 PM
    best news I've heard about BB in far too long. If this deal was worked out under Heinz and co it will be the one thing they got right.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    11-07-13 09:13 PM
    It's easy to see backlash from the BlackBerry development community, however, anything that makes BlackBerry stronger has to be the best option for all involved, including BlackBerry developers.

Competition will be tough but the best can thrive.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.

We also have to keep in mind that native applications will still have the advantage of hardware/software specific api's, like headless capabilities and active frames. This also may help android dev's know what application blackberry user are using and encourage native applications.

Native applications are unbelievably smooth and fun to use and in the end this will be good for the consumers and may boost competition between BB dev's and Android Dev's.
    eddy_berry and Mr.V786 like this.
    11-07-13 09:16 PM
    845 has been leaked

It's not in it AFAIK.
    11-07-13 09:17 PM
    I don't necessarily see Google Play as being a death knell for Blackberry World. Right now developers can port their Android apps but many of them have also subsequently submitted a native application. Blackberry World may also contain the "verified" apps.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Enterprise customers chose to blocks apps from Google Play.

There are a lot of ways this can play out... but for one thing. It takes away the big "stigma" or disadvantage of owning a BB10 device which is the convenience of loading apps.
    11-07-13 09:18 PM
    I'm gonna buy some blackberry shares

Posted via CB10
    R Field likes this.
    11-07-13 09:23 PM
    You guys are making me feel slightly better. Slightly

Agreed.

We also have to keep in mind that native applications will still have the advantage of hardware/software specific api's, like headless capabilities and active frames. This also may help android dev's know what application blackberry user are using and encourage native applications.

Native applications are unbelievably smooth and fun to use and in the end this will be good for the consumers and may boost competition between BB dev's and Android Dev's.
    I don't necessarily see Google Play as being a death knell for Blackberry World. Right now developers can port their Android apps but many of them have also subsequently submitted a native application. Blackberry World may also contain the "verified" apps.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Enterprise customers chose to blocks apps from Google Play.

There are a lot of ways this can play out... but for one thing. It takes away the big "stigma" or disadvantage of owning a BB10 device which is the convenience of loading apps.
    11-07-13 09:23 PM
    This should have been built into the original OS of the Playbook 2 years ago. The difference between the way Blackberry does things and the way well-run companies do things.

<sigh> well better late than never...I hope.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl, Mr.V786 and flyingsolid like this.
    11-07-13 09:25 PM
    You realise that the changes you are referring to would be to actually have a full Android OS running in a virtual machine on our BB10 phones rather than just the Dalvik layer VM we have now?

No small change and the consequences for BlackBerry 10 native developers would be catastrophic.

Blackberry may as well just throw in the BB10 towel and make Android phones instead.

Posted via CB10
    You do realise BB10 is a QNX based OS?

Please wiki QNX technology.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:27 PM
    give bb the apps ..... all the apps and let the OS battle truly begin.

exciting times

I actually believe we may see BB on a tablet again now.
    11-07-13 09:31 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:32 PM
    +2

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:32 PM
    You do realise BB10 is a QNX based OS?

Please wiki QNX technology.

Posted via CB10
    And full android 4.x is around 125 mb big exc all drivers and apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 09:33 PM
    give bb the apps ..... all the apps and let the OS battle truly begin.

exciting times
    Alright fine +3. Let's do this.
    Cynycl likes this.
    11-07-13 09:34 PM
    Yea but then bbw is useless...

Why bother having native apps at all then!?

Because the BlackBerry 10 DNA is so Awesome. There are many Android ports that run well in BlackBerry world, but they have nothing on the Native UI apps. What they should do when this happens is make BlackBerry World ONLY for native apps.
    Cynycl, ital1, eddy_berry and 6 others like this.
    11-07-13 09:37 PM
    I want to say that if this happens, BlackBerry will actually have the largest eco-system of any platform because you would have the same number of apps as Android, and you would still have the native apps that are currently in BlackBerry World.
    11-07-13 09:39 PM
717 12345 ...