Interesting link, but I don't see how it truly correlates to the OP's thread. People are not getting excited about what Google has in its pipeline with ART. Care to elaborate?
    People are complaining about Android performance on BB10. This would be an improvement on speed for the Android runtime running on BB10.
    11-08-13 04:44 PM
    Because the BlackBerry 10 DNA is so Awesome. There are many Android ports that run well in BlackBerry world, but they have nothing on the Native UI apps. What they should do when this happens is make BlackBerry World ONLY for native apps.
    Yeah - Google Play for Android, BlackBerry World for native BlackBerry Apps sounds very fair! You will know what you get!

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-08-13 04:44 PM
    But why pack up shop? Aren't dev's competitive in their field? Make your app stand out, better than what's available elsewhere. What sense does it make to give up, and concede to the Android Dev's.

I wish people would see this for what it is "The Alternative". If we can't find your app on BBW, then you leave us no choice but to go to the Play Store.

And FYI, your app would be a great one to have. Backup's on the go!!! I'm not to fond of the cloud just yet.
    I personally don't know what I'll do yet, since I only read this today and don't even know if it's true.

I assume some devs will reason like you and continue updating and developing their bb10 apps.

For devs who have put in a lot of time, money and effort to develop native 3rd party apps, this would totally screw them and bring a substantial revenue source to 0 overnight

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:52 PM
    There's no other way to look at this other than a HUGE kick in the teeth for BlackBerry developers by the company. I have learned cascades and was in the process of making an app that lets you backup and restore your entire phone from the SD card, but now that I've read this I will hold off any further work until I find out what's going on.

From what I understand about the relationship between reviews and downloads, the dev for Bemaps 10 pro has made at least $40k from that app alone, but obviously that revenue would quickly go to 0 if someone can just download Google maps directly. This is as an example.

I'd also feel pretty dumb about having spent close to $300 on apps, some of which are really awesome, but the fact is for most of them I can just get the same thing for free from Android.

Native BlackBerry apps are frequently very functional, but lack the visual appeal and robustness of many Android apps that have bigger devs. For an example download myshopi from bbw which is an android port. This is a good android port and you can see its visually appealing, it's a 16 mb program. Nothing native that's anything like this

Shopping List - myShopi - BlackBerry World

So at least in the short term this will totally kill native development because a lot of the good native devs are just going to say F BlackBerry and move on.

I recognize that it would be a great advancement for bb users and would take away one of the big impediments to selling bb10 phones. It would be a good move for the company, overall. But it's another example of blackberry shafting people who are loyal to them

Also I object to caitlinxd reasoning that they want to keep this under wraps because it would boost the stock price. So if this is true I really doubt that a bb employee told him /her that part, it must be his own reasoning. Such an announcement would have little immediate impact on blackberry stock price, because it's not clear that it will automatically result in greater profits for the company. This is from my substantial experience in the financial markets

They'd want to keep it under wraps
    A) because they have not finalized exactly what they're going to do, and they want to control the flow of information themselves
    B) protect the revenues of bbw until this actually gets released

Posted via CB10
    Continue your app. There won't be a single Android app that can backup/restore to SD without rejigging the code. You'll be the first. Get 'er done!
    Thachoc1, Anilu7, SDTRMG and 2 others like this.
    11-08-13 04:53 PM
    I personally don't know what I'll do yet, since I only read this today and don't even know if it's true.

I assume some devs will reason like you and continue updating and developing their bb10 apps.

For devs who have put in a lot of time, money and effort to develop native 3rd party apps, this would totally screw them and bring a substantial revenue source to 0 overnight

Posted via CB10
    I think it's fair to say that in almost all BB10 users' minds:

Native > ported/android/etc.

There will always be demand for native apps.
    Thachoc1, vrud and SDTRMG like this.
    11-08-13 04:54 PM
    Even if play works, it doesn't mean all apps will be 100% compatible.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-08-13 04:55 PM
    Or it could be the browser showing a page from the Play Store.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    "Browser" would show in the bottom bar where it says "Play Store".
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    11-08-13 04:56 PM
    There's no other way to look at this other than a HUGE kick in the teeth for BlackBerry developers by the company. I have learned cascades and was in the process of making an app that lets you backup and restore your entire phone from the SD card, but now that I've read this I will hold off any further work until I find out what's going on.
    Are you copying the functionality of a free Android app? And aren't making any further enhancements that would make your app stand above the rest?

From what I understand about the relationship between reviews and downloads, the dev for Bemaps 10 pro has made at least $40k from that app alone, but obviously that revenue would quickly go to 0 if someone can just download Google maps directly. This is as an example.
    How would this be different if Google decided to make Google Maps for BB10? The dev is successful leveraging on Google's foundation and that foundation could be removed at any time.

I'd also feel pretty dumb about having spent close to $300 on apps, some of which are really awesome, but the fact is for most of them I can just get the same thing for free from Android.
    So the dev on Android makes no money and the BB10 dev making a clone of the Android app makes no money.

Native BlackBerry apps are frequently very functional, but lack the visual appeal and robustness of many Android apps that have bigger devs. For an example download myshopi from bbw which is an android port. This is a good android port and you can see its visually appealing, it's a 16 mb program. Nothing native that's anything like this

Shopping List - myShopi - BlackBerry World
    How's this an example of a big time dev or something difficult to develop on BB10?

So at least in the short term this will totally kill native development because a lot of the good native devs are just going to say F BlackBerry and move on.
    Many people here have stated that they'd rather buy a native app than get a free Android app funded by ads. Some people would buy a native app over a free Android app altogether.

I recognize that it would be a great advancement for bb users and would take away one of the big impediments to selling bb10 phones. It would be a good move for the company, overall. But it's another example of blackberry shafting people who are loyal to them
    What other dramatic thing could they do to change their situation? They could take the $1 billion and dump it to select devs, but that's still not going to please everyone.

Also I object to caitlinxd reasoning that they want to keep this under wraps because it would boost the stock price. So if this is true I really doubt that a bb employee told him /her that part, it must be his own reasoning. Such an announcement would have little immediate impact on blackberry stock price, because it's not clear that it will automatically result in greater profits for the company. This is from my substantial experience in the financial markets

They'd want to keep it under wraps
    A) because they have not finalized exactly what they're going to do, and they want to control the flow of information themselves
    B) protect the revenues of bbw until this actually gets released
    A) is more likely than B) at this point.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-08-13 05:01 PM
    Nope. Says browser.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:02 PM
    Interesting link, but I don't see how it truly correlates to the OP's thread. People are not getting excited about what Google has in its pipeline with ART. Care to elaborate?
    It would greatly enhance the Android experience in BB10.
    Also, as BlackBerry use the Dalvik VM, it could spell the end for Android apps on BB10 as BlackBerry will likely have to recompile their runtime.

Anilu7 and hamsterwheel like this.
    11-08-13 05:13 PM
    Of course, thanks for the heads-up. Ignore me, it's been a long day.

11-08-13 05:17 PM
    Even if play works, it doesn't mean all apps will be 100% compatible.
    Not sure if you caught the first page, but the updated android runtime is supposed to open the APIs required of the play store apps to combat all the previous errors allowing flawless performance.
    11-08-13 05:24 PM
    For this to even be remotely plausible, there would have to be a native version of Google Play Services built for BlackBerry. Until someone shows you a picture of that (current, and necessary version is 4.xx) treat everything else as an elaborate hoax.

FWIW, a friend at Google thought this idea was hilarious, and gave the picture of the play store 10/10 on the epic troll scale.
    11-08-13 05:26 PM
    I'm a dev and I like the idea to have both App-Stores available on BlackBerry 10!

There will always be a need for high quality native apps! And having native and Android Apps available in BlackBerry World is something I'm not happy with. As an Android Dev you have to update in both stores and on BlackBerry World you get negative comments because it's an Android port!

Native Apps are even the ones, that can be used on the BlackBerry balance enterprise BES side, where Android Apps are not available!

BlackBerry already has their runtime available in appworld as a separate App and it would be possible to link the Google Play Store to it, so with deleting Google Play you are able to have an Android free BlackBerry 10 device!

Posted via CB10
    Ruslan Botsyurko and SDTRMG like this.
    11-08-13 05:35 PM
    Why don't BlackBerry turn into Android
    So z10 will have android kitkat
    11-08-13 05:38 PM
    Interesting, but when I see pictures like that, I immediately think of how effortless it would be to fake them. We live in a world where all smartphones can take a screen shot. All you'd need to make those images is a Android, a BlackBerry 10 device, MS paint and a low quality camera to snap photos of the BlackBerry displaying the altered images from the gallery app. The entire thing could be faked in a matter of minutes with very little effort. Also, can't forget that whatever camera was used to capture those images could have been used to capture a much harder to fake video. A video of it working would pretty convincing.

Would be awesome if it turns out to be real, but I'm still not buying it.
    Windows Phone can't take screenshots, at least not without some real backbone effort and real know-how.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 05:41 PM
    Windows Phone can't take screenshots, at least not without some real backbone effort and real know-how.

Really? Are you sure? I mean there are a lot of people who paid $1.99 for a screenshot app for BB10 and also gave it good reviews. I'm just having a hard time believing it as if there is something easier that maybe not everyone knows about. Or maybe they just can't take a screenshot. I don't know either.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    11-08-13 05:49 PM
    Really? Are you sure? I mean there are a lot of people who paid $1.99 for a screenshot app for BB10 and also gave it good reviews. I'm just having a hard time believing that as if there is something easier that not everyone knows about. Or maybe they just can't take a screenshot. I don't know either.
    I laughed so hard at people's stupidity when I saw those apps.

No, I don't think the WP operating system allows for it at all. This may have changed with WP8, but I don't think it did.

Anyway...

11-08-13 05:52 PM
    And the plot thickens. Also, love seeing you here Jerry!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:00 PM
    For this to even be remotely plausible, there would have to be a native version of Google Play Services built for BlackBerry. Until someone shows you a picture of that (current, and necessary version is 4.xx) treat everything else as an elaborate hoax.

FWIW, a friend at Google thought this idea was hilarious, and gave the picture of the play store 10/10 on the epic troll scale.
    Awesome, thank you for popping over.
    Though 10/10 is a little on the generous side on the troll scale

Last edited by CJH_; 11-10-13 at 05:34 AM.
    11-08-13 06:00 PM
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...e-a-screenshot

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin and Saiga like this.
    11-08-13 06:04 PM

I'm just speculating, but would it not be possible to implement the already-existing Google Play Services into Android Player? It might well require a thorough overhaul of Android Player (i.e. turning it into a full-on Android OS VM), but I'd imagine that's a far better way of doing it than creating native Google Play Services for BlackBerry 10 - not necessarily because it's easier, but because Google is more likely to agree to it.
    11-08-13 06:05 PM
    I don't think that was possible before.

11-08-13 06:11 PM
    I don't think that was possible before.
    Isn't available on WP7.X, but available on WP8 since day one!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 06:30 PM
    Do note that once this happens, any application can be ported over (other than non-applications like widgets) without having to change Google Map library dependencies to BlackBerry friendly etc.
    ***Hey guys I know in reading the posts it seams like people are saying the android play store on bb may happen rather quickly but Catlin do you think they may have this done to coincide with the USA Z30 release???? That would be awesome...
    11-08-13 06:30 PM
717 ... 1011121314 ...