Just that... Does anyone know if it's gonna have FM radio? I love to listen to local radio and it would be awesome if we could. For me FM radio is a must!!!
    01-21-13 08:29 PM
    Unfortunately I doubt it. It's a nifty little feature I'd love to have, but the demand probably isn't high enough to justify the cost of engineering it in to the device and then producing it. We certainly haven't heard anything about FM radio in BB10 thus far.
    01-21-13 08:42 PM
    I wonder also, but for me it's not a must. I mostly use radio in my car. Bleh
    01-21-13 08:45 PM
    I never thought of this. Nothing's been mentioned. But considering certain OS7 devices had it it doesn't seem like a stretch. And I'm pretty sure the competition has this so probably wouldn't be a good idea for BB10 not to. Also I don't think engineering an fm radio player is particularly difficult since they all just use headphone cord as an antenna.
    01-21-13 08:47 PM
    I never thought of this. Nothing's been mentioned. But considering certain OS7 devices had it it doesn't seem like a stretch. And I'm pretty sure the competition has this so probably wouldn't be a good idea for BB10 not to. Also I don't think engineering an fm radio player is particularly difficult since they all just use headphone cord as an antenna.
    Does the competition really have it? I can't think of a popular smartphone from another company with FM radio capabilities, but feel free to correct me. Having said that, having something the competition doesn't have isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just have my doubts about the benefits from a financial standpoint.
    01-21-13 08:54 PM
    Wow, fm radio? I thought that went the way of the dodo with book stores, video rentals, and newspapers.
    01-21-13 09:30 PM
    There will be no FM radio.
    01-21-13 09:39 PM
    I think the FM radios were mostly for lower end models, or models for non-NA/Europe markets. Probably not going to see it on the Z10, though it would be nice.
    I wish they had AM radios on these things, lol. But then the phone would be really big.and it wouldn't sell.
    01-21-13 11:04 PM
    Aren't they're apps for this sort of thing?
    01-21-13 11:08 PM
    Does the competition really have it? I can't think of a popular smartphone from another company with FM radio capabilities, but feel free to correct me. Having said that, having something the competition doesn't have isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just have my doubts about the benefits from a financial standpoint.
    Haha I dunno I just kind of assumed they did. I remember when I switched to blackberry most of the other phones had fm radios and that was one thing that I missed in certain situations. So yea, I was probably wrong about the competition having it.
    01-22-13 12:07 AM
    I know there is FM radio on cars, but what if you are not in a car and want to listen to the radio? I know we have MP3s but there is a lot of people who love radio shows and random music... The curve had it on 7.1. I don't know... It could be great for me to have that option also on BB10...
    01-22-13 05:13 AM
    Aren't they're apps for this sort of thing?
    Sure there are apps. But the difference is that the radio apps use the data transfer. When your data allowance is limited, then it may be a killer. The FM radio is based on quite another technology :-) FM broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    kbz1960 and zakcooper40 like this.
    01-22-13 05:32 AM
    samsung and htc have it in all their smartphones including high end devices !!
    bb is giving it in their curve model..so i could expect atleast one bb10 device with built-in fm !!
    01-22-13 05:36 AM
    Sure there are apps. But the difference is that the radio apps use the data transfer. When your data allowance is limited, then it may be a killer. The FM radio is based on quite another technology :-) FM broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ahh yeah that's true, that slipped my mind lol.
    01-22-13 08:30 AM
    My Apple iPod Nano has a built-in FM radio receiver; it uses the wired headset as an antenna. I cannot imagine the FM radio added any significant manufacturing cost to the media player.
    01-22-13 10:59 AM
    samsung and htc have it in all their smartphones including high end devices !!
    bb is giving it in their curve model..so i could expect atleast one bb10 device with built-in fm !!
    the only smartphone with a FM radio that i am aware off is the curve 9360.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-22-13 11:19 AM
    I'm a little frustrated that it might not have one. ****, I guess it's cool as this is my first and only frustration with the phone lol. But I would've loved a radio for the phone because when I go to my gym, I can tune into the various tvs and music stations there as I work out by changing to the FM frequency. Dammit.
    01-22-13 11:28 AM
    Blackberries have FM radio --- for the simple reason that big military installations and big corporations don't want (or don't allow) you to stream internet radio on their data network. That fact is not going to change, so you are going to see FM radios on BB10 phones.
    01-22-13 11:38 AM
    I'm a little frustrated that it might not have one. ****, I guess it's cool as this is my first and only frustration with the phone lol. But I would've loved a radio for the phone because when I go to my gym, I can tune into the various tvs and music stations there as I work out by changing to the FM frequency. Dammit.
    Wow, you can stream TV from your phone through FM frequency?

Blackberries have FM radio --- for the simple reason that big military installations and big corporations don't want (or don't allow) you to stream internet radio on their data network. That fact is not going to change, so you are going to see FM radios on BB10 phones.
    So why didn't most of the previous BlackBerry phones have FM radio then. Just because you come up with a "simple reason" doesn't mean it's going to make a difference on the finaly product.
    01-22-13 12:40 PM
    the only smartphone with a FM radio that i am aware off is the curve 9360.
    well....samsung S3 and note2 have it,htc one x have it too !!
    and all blackberry curve with os 7.1 have fm radio
    01-22-13 12:56 PM
    So why didn't most of the previous BlackBerry phones have FM radio then. Just because you come up with a "simple reason" doesn't mean it's going to make a difference on the finaly product.
    FM radio is available on the lower end devices because that's what the office drones are given. The higher ups are given Bold's but they probably don't have the time to listen to FM radio at the office.
    01-22-13 01:04 PM
    Perhaps you should check if your gym has free wi-fi and, if so, use that to stream your local radio stations to you via TuneIn, Norbex, or some of the other internet radio apps that are/will be available on BB10.

Depending on how much data you have per month within your plan, you could use that as well. If your concerned about reaching your data limits, many stations offer less data-intense streams (lower quality) , i.e., 96 vs 128. I would do a test for this, of course, before trying, i.e., stream 5 minutes of your radio station; calculate how much data was consumed; multiply that out by the amount of time your at the gym; then lastly multiply that out by the amount of times you go to gym per month. If your not sure how much data is being transferred, you could download the Digitally Imported app (streams electronic music). At the bottom of this app, you will see some stats that track how much data you used via wifi and cellular when listening to various internet radio streams of various quality. I am sure that there are other applications out there that you can download to monitor your data usage; perhaps someone else could point them out.
    01-22-13 01:18 PM
    well....samsung S3 and note2 have it,htc one x have it too !!
    and all blackberry curve with os 7.1 have fm radio
    Not everywhere. The U.S. variants of the android phones you mentioned do not include the FM tuner.
    01-22-13 01:32 PM
    Perhaps you should check if your gym has free wi-fi and, if so, use that to stream your local radio stations to you via TuneIn, Norbex, or some of the other internet radio apps that are/will be available on BB10.

Depending on how much data you have per month within your plan, you could use that as well. If your concerned about reaching your data limits, many stations offer less data-intense streams (lower quality) , i.e., 96 vs 128. I would do a test for this, of course, before trying, i.e., stream 5 minutes of your radio station; calculate how much data was consumed; multiply that out by the amount of time your at the gym; then lastly multiply that out by the amount of times you go to gym per month. If your not sure how much data is being transferred, you could download the Digitally Imported app (streams electronic music). At the bottom of this app, you will see some stats that track how much data you used via wifi and cellular when listening to various internet radio streams of various quality. I am sure that there are other applications out there that you can download to monitor your data usage; perhaps someone else could point them out.
    Why worry about how much data plan is consumed, if you could have a radio transmitter and don't worry about that at all??
    There has to be a� FM radio transmitter...
    01-22-13 01:34 PM
    Really dude? It's a phone not a Sony AM/FM radio!
    01-22-13 01:42 PM
68 123