Should we be worried with our version of Flash?

Adobe releases emergency Flash update amid new zero-day drive-by attacks | Ars Technica

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 10:26 AM
    Flash is always a security flaw whether it be mobile or desktop. That's what most people don't understand about it, and why HTML5 is slowly becoming the new standard.

However, this vulnerability shouldn't affect mobile.
    02-21-14 01:53 PM
    From the article : "Readers should remember that versions 12.0.0.44, 11.7.700.261, or earlier of Flash, regardless of the platform they run on, contain the underlying vulnerability."

Time for me to turn off Flash now.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 01:58 PM
    I hope that they will make flash content click to play instead of a global on and off.

Posted via CB10
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    02-21-14 02:19 PM
    I hope that they will make flash content click to play instead of a global on and off.

Posted via CB10
    Amen.. html5scores aren't everything.. crucial features like this are equally as important.

Also if flash is off, embedded media players load and play on their own as well..
    02-21-14 02:23 PM
    Flash is always a security flaw whether it be mobile or desktop. That's what most people don't understand about it, and why HTML5 is slowly becoming the new standard.

However, this vulnerability shouldn't affect mobile.

Not sure sure about that last part. There have already been at least 2 publicly announced Flash vulnerabilities in BB10, the last one announced just last month.

BlackBerry 10 Haunted by Adobe Flash Vulnerabilities | SecurityWeek.Com
    BlackBerry 10 OS and BlackBerry PlayBook OS Adobe Flash - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

Since BB10 is the only mobile OS that still ships a supported version of Flash (Adobe has discontinued and stopped support of Flash on all other mobile platforms), I'd say there is a significant chance that this affects BB10, though it is such an anomaly for a Flash platform it wouldn't surprise me if it did not make the official Adobe Advisory:

Adobe Security Bulletin

However as you can see, Linux - where the last supported version is v11.2 - is listed as vulnerable, and that's very close generationally to the 11.1 used on BB10.
    SethDove likes this.
    02-22-14 05:20 AM
    I think BlackBerry might be (or should be) trying to bring over the pepper flash plugin
    Who knows
    02-22-14 10:40 AM