Hi all. I have made an interesting repair on my z30 today that I have to share since I have not seen anything about that workaround but maybe someone else posted something that I have not found.

I have loaned my z30 to a friend at work to test it on a low reception area. Worked well. As I didn't knew before about the problem with sim reader when inserting the nano sim adapter..... then I got a half beautiful white brick. That have broked the 2 front side pins on the reader.

I managed to remove the screen by removing the torque screws. Then with a stretched staple, delicately raised the brakets that was holding the broken pins by using the holes over them until they was raised enough to make a contact with the sim card. They are made with flexible metal on the z30 so this was pretty easy. Don't know for another models.

Finally put back a sim card in and a miracle happened : the phone go back on the mobile network ! I do not know if this will work as a permanent work around for a long time but I had no problem for the past 6 hours. I have removed and inserted the sim card 6 times since then with success.

Be advised that if you try that is at your own risk and be delicate. I just wanted to share the story and my happiness and maybe help some bad lucked folks like me.

Share if that works for you. It sure ask few skills to open the phone without making more damages.

Regards

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 06:18 PM
    Nice! I will definitely try that with mine! Thanks for sharing!
    How big of a process was it to get at the sim reader? How long did it take?
    03-17-15 10:07 PM
    Ok I just tried it. I just want to post my f-up so nobody else does the same. I bent two of the tabs up ok but the third completely broke off. So the 3 metal tabs are verrrrrry brittle so be very gentle and only bend them as much as you need to....... I ordered a new sim card reader off of ebay anyway so I guess that will be my next project. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 10:52 PM
    Ok I just tried it. I just want to post my f-up so nobody else does the same. I bent two of the tabs up ok but the third completely broke off. So the 3 metal tabs are verrrrrry brittle so be very gentle and only bend them as much as you need to....... I ordered a new sim card reader off of ebay anyway so I guess that will be my next project. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the information. You are a hero to all of us with broken sim card readers on our Z30s.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 12:56 AM
    I did the same but on my Q5 with a pair of tweezers!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 03:39 AM
    I did the same but on my Q5 with a pair of tweezers!

Posted via CB10
    My Q5 isn't detecting the SIM card as well. How did you confirm that the pins were bend and how did you use the tweezers? Did you also have to remove the screen?

I'm a newb at this. Also is there a video that shows how to do this?

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    05-02-15 07:27 AM
    My Q5 isn't detecting the SIM card as well. How did you confirm that the pins were bend and how did you use the tweezers? Did you also have to remove the screen?

I'm a newb at this. Also is there a video that shows how to do this?

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    I knew I bent my pins because I could see them sticking out!

I was pretty dumb and stuck a nano sim into the slot. Then it got stuck of course and I had to fish it out

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 10:26 PM