So I experienced a bug probably similar to the one a few of you have been experiencing. I could not send, recieve or view text message history. Any time I clicked on any text messaging conversation the number and contact name of the most recent person that texted me and that I texted would appear at the top instead of the name of the contact for the conversation i was clicking.

So anyway after going back and forth for a day with Michael Clewley via e-mail I tinkered with a few things and something worked for me. I passed on the following to him so he can report it to anyone else having problems.

The Fix:

-backup the device if youre having the problem
    -wipe the device and then turn it on
    -during the tutorials sign in with your BBID
    -test out the texting functions now it should be working (however its a factory restored device and you want your stuff back)
    -restore the backup you just finished prior
    -clear call logs,voicemails, and delete the most recent text convo (you may still be getting notifications from one of them) that you have sent and received texts from (if you can still see them and they aren't deleted that is okay)
    -restart phone
    - text people it should be working

So thats what I did and after a day and a half of no SMS I have it back. All your history with other people should still be there except for the most recent ones that you had to delete unfortunately.

Please come back and report if this works im interested to find out.
    Last edited by Borough; 08-01-13 at 11:45 AM.
    07-31-13 05:29 PM
    Does this really work? Link cannot back up text messages and a factory reset will delete all data retained by the phone!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:15 AM
    It does, I was wondering if someone just did the last three steps if it would work. I wish I could have tried that theory first before going through the trouble of everything else
    08-01-13 11:45 AM
    It does, I was wondering if someone just did the last three steps if it would work. I wish I could have tried that theory first before going through the trouble of everything else
    For me, the SMS history went away after update but I could still send and receive SMS. So I just tried your last steps (without doing any backup and restore). Restarted phone after clearing call logs, voicemails, and recent sms conversations. The old SMS did not return and now I have lost my call logs and recent SMS
    08-02-13 01:13 AM
    This is assuming you didn't already update the software [without backing up] and having already lost the SMS history, right? Or are you saying that my texts are in my phone somewhere, even though I don't see any of them?
    08-02-13 02:35 AM
    Or are you saying that my texts are in my phone somewhere, even though I don't see any of them?

Based on what I have heard about the root of the SMS data loss issue, that is a possibility.

Apparently the root of the issue relates to changes BlackBerry made in the file system location of certain databases. I'm looking into this.

Seems possible that a method could be devised to restore SMS msgs saved in a previous BB Link backup, and it's also conceivable to me that the old SMS DB is still on the device (if the user didn't try to wipe or do a destructive reload of the OS) but just can't be accessed by default.
    08-02-13 03:31 AM
    I have the same problem and I'm really getting pissed.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 05:52 AM
    So I experienced a bug probably similar to the one a few of you have been experiencing. I could not send, recieve or view text message history. Any time I clicked on any text messaging conversation the number and contact name of the most recent person that texted me and that I texted would appear at the top instead of the name of the contact for the conversation i was clicking.

So anyway after going back and forth for a day with Michael Clewley via e-mail I tinkered with a few things and something worked for me. I passed on the following to him so he can report it to anyone else having problems.

The Fix:

-backup the device if youre having the problem
    -wipe the device and then turn it on
    -during the tutorials sign in with your BBID
    -test out the texting functions now it should be working (however its a factory restored device and you want your stuff back)
    -restore the backup you just finished prior
    -clear call logs,voicemails, and delete the most recent text convo (you may still be getting notifications from one of them) that you have sent and received texts from (if you can still see them and they aren't deleted that is okay)
    -restart phone
    - text people it should be working

So thats what I did and after a day and a half of no SMS I have it back. All your history with other people should still be there except for the most recent ones that you had to delete unfortunately.

Please come back and report if this works im interested to find out.

I had the exact same issue. I was unable to see or respond to text. Telus got me to back up, wipe, and restore but I still had the same issue. I used my game testing skills and I tried composing a new text message, which didn't come up right away and then continued typing in a box I couldn't see but after a couple minutes, compose a new text came up and my texting started working again or I'll say for now. More to come
    08-02-13 09:27 AM
    I found the solution to this.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 02:02 AM
    What's the solution? I also found refreshing the hub works but it just takes a lot of button pressing and just overloading the text message hub

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 01:25 PM
    The only way ive found that fixed the problem was

1) turning the device completely off.
    2) turn it back on
    3) go to the hub
    4) compose new text. Wait for the compose screen to load up. Swipe it away

Bam! Your text convos will work again. I find if i skip step 4, the texts will still be defunct.

Too bad I have to do this every time the texts mess up smh

- @Benstar16

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 03:14 PM
    Solution to this? Do not sync FB's notifs and messages. As simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 02:08 AM
    Upgrading to 10.2 will resolve this problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:13 AM
    I backed up (on Link) in full - performed the MR upgrade over usb - sms messages GONE.

Fully restored, over usb... still gone.

Not impressed - attempted the above fix and nothing.

Good job BlackBerry

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-04-13 08:18 AM
    I upgraded to 10.2 leak and still have the SMS text issue.
    08-04-13 11:49 AM
    I backed up (on Link) in full - performed the MR upgrade over usb - sms messages GONE.

Good job BlackBerry

Same here. I thought doing a full backup/restore would resolve this, but I guess not. This is rediculous...
    08-04-13 11:54 AM
    I upgraded to 10.2 leak and still have the SMS text issue.
    08-04-13 12:00 PM
    What makes it worse is I can't even restore now. The restore would be stuck at 0%, and then my Blackberry would restart, and nothing gets restored...
    Here's a thread on this as well:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...up-q10-819247/

Anyone else experiencing this?
    08-04-13 03:58 PM
    This is assuming you didn't already update the software [without backing up] and having already lost the SMS history, right? Or are you saying that my texts are in my phone somewhere, even though I don't see any of them?
    no this is assuming you didnt back up before updating the software.
    yea thats what im thinking that the texts are still within the phone but just not viewable.

Good job BlackBerry

thats not really following any of the steps any one of the people mentioned as solutions
    What makes it worse is I can't even restore now. The restore would be stuck at 0%, and then my Blackberry would restart, and nothing gets restored...
    Here's a thread on this as well:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...up-q10-819247/

Anyone else experiencing this?
    i think you might have to update your link software before trying to backup or restore your device
    08-05-13 01:33 PM
    Sorry, forgot to mention I tried it the way you posted also - though this was AFTER I did the wipes and restores (I hadn't read your post at that point).

I never lost the ability to text. I just had my messages disappear. When I have been loading leaks, the text messages remain. Now they have gone.

I have the backup file - that I took BEFORE installing the MR (via usb and Link) so I'm assuming if BlackBerry fix this issue, I may be able to restore that file's data...

08-05-13 01:45 PM
    no this is assuming you didnt back up before updating the software.
    yea thats what im thinking that the texts are still within the phone but just not viewable.

thats not really following any of the steps any one of the people mentioned as solutions

i think you might have to update your link software before trying to backup or restore your device
    I've upgraded the link software, also tried it both on a Windows 7 and 2 Windows 8 computers, still no luck...
    08-05-13 02:26 PM
    I've upgraded the link software, also tried it both on a Windows 7 and 2 Windows 8 computers, still no luck...

Yeah there are apparently some broken things with the backup/restore process itself. At the moment it's looking like even having a Link backup may not do you any good. (Unless you go back to the previous OS, restore that backup, then try the upgrade again and hope it doesn't fail to convert the texts this time.)

Another strategy would be to backup the messages with SMS Backup by Epic Windmill while on the earlier OS version, in case the messages get lost in the update, then you can just restore them. That's what I did.

Bear in mind that that app currently will backup MMS messages but not restore them. Future update.
    08-05-13 02:54 PM
    Humga Chan - about how many SMS messages would you say you had on the device when you updated the OS?

Did you manually reboot or pull the battery during the update?
    08-05-13 02:55 PM
    Humga Chan - about how many SMS messages would you say you had on the device when you updated the OS?

Did you manually reboot or pull the battery during the update?
    Plenty... over 25,000 SMS's lol (Please don't ask why, I know I'm weird but I just prefer to have them saved on my phone haha)

On BB Link, I've managed to restore my old backups from my 9900, however any backup from BB 10, whether it's my Z or Q10 would fail instantly as the phone would just restart at 0% of the backup process. I've tried restoring on the MR, leaked 10.2, and even downgraded to the latest official OS I had before 10.1.2342 and still no luck.

And I would never manually reboot or pull the battery during the update process at all, don't want to risk bricking my phone.
    08-05-13 03:06 PM
    Plenty... over 25,000 SMS's lol (Please don't ask why, I know I'm weird but I just prefer to have them saved on my phone haha)

On BB Link, I've managed to restore my old backups from my 9900, however any backup from BB 10, whether it's my Z or Q10 would fail instantly as the phone would just restart at 0% of the backup process. I've tried restoring on the MR, leaked 10.2, and even downgraded to the latest official OS I had before 10.1.2342 and still no luck.

And I would never manually reboot or pull the battery during the update process at all, don't want to risk bricking my phone.
    Wow - its a shame you've lost access to so many messages :-/

I only lost about 150... we've got backups - hopefully BlackBerry can sort out an os update so we can restore the texts!

08-05-13 06:38 PM
27 12