I wasn't expecting medical grade heart rate monitoring but I was at least anticipating the heart rate monitoring to be within a range of +-5 bpm which it isn't. Not too mention it was inconsistent whether I was at rest or exercising. I got more accurate heart rate monitoring when I wore a chest strap and that is what I am returning to.

This was the 2nd Fitbit Charge HR I had over this time as the first one was totally bonkers...hahaha

I really gave it the old college try but I'm simply not happy so as the saying goes...I'm moving in a different direction... :-)

Bob

Posted via CB 10>Q10-SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576>Z10-STL100-3/10.3.1.2576 On AT&T
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-02-15 10:18 AM
    I wasn't expecting medical grade heart rate monitoring but I was at least anticipating the heart rate monitoring to be within a range of +-5 bpm which it isn't. Not too mention it was inconsistent whether I was at rest or exercising. I got more accurate heart rate monitoring when I wore a chest strap and that is what I am returning to.

This was the 2nd Fitbit Charge HR I had over this time as the first one was totally bonkers...hahaha

I really gave it the old college try but I'm simply not happy so as the saying goes...I'm moving in a different direction... :-)

Bob

The important thing is that you did give it a legitimate try. Didn't send it back after 2 days.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using at the time
    04-02-15 10:20 AM

Bob

I would have to agree with Bob here. I know I wouldn't be expecting medical grade heart rate monitoring with a consumer piece of hardware, but I certainly would be expecting the measurements to be within the correct ballpark and not as off as Bob had indicated before. Is that too much to ask of a hardware manufacturer?

Suffice to say, I think I'll be going with the Polar H7 HRM myself as I know many people here have had great success with it.

Thanks again for giving all of this a try, Bob. Really adds to the knowledge base around here.

Posted via CB10
    john_v likes this.
    04-02-15 10:30 AM
    I would have to agree with Bob here. I know I wouldn't be expecting medical grade heart rate monitoring with a consumer piece of hardware, but I certainly would be expecting the measurements to be within the correct ballpark and not as off as Bob had indicated before. Is that too much to ask of a hardware manufacturer?

Suffice to say, I think I'll be going with the Polar H7 HRM myself as I know many people here have had great success with it.

Thanks again for giving all of this a try, Bob. Really adds to the knowledge base around here.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed as well...just in my case I've found mine to be within that ballpark.

It's awesome that we have so many options these days.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using at the time
    04-02-15 10:41 AM
    yes on my Z30.
    But not the newest version of fitbit. I don't update cause then it doesn't work
    i have the 1.0.0.1759 fitbit version
    Newest version works on my Z30 with my Charge HR (even Caller ID).
    04-02-15 10:44 AM

Bob

You will not get that accuracy from any of these type of devices no matter how expensive, most commercially available sphygmomanometer's that measure the pulse by inflating a cuff on the arm strive to be accurate within 5% however that differs from one device to another. The member above correctly highlights the purpose of any commercially available heart monitoring device, to give a doctor data regarding trends and then it's down to the doctor to get more accurate analysis if desired.

You can't tell if a device is 'faulty' due to inconsistencies in readings between times of rest or activity because there are many different factors which cause fluctuations in heart rate and blood pressure.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:01 PM
    I myself would take the chest strap over everything else, as I had even bought a Mio heart rate watch and didn't find it as accurate. Let us know how your new setup works Bob, as I would like that feature as well. I only have the regular Charge but was looking at the Surge.

Posted via One Very Cool Passport!
    04-02-15 03:25 PM
    I will update how the Polar H7 chest strap works out once I receive it...ordered today. I've used Polar chest straps before integrated with treadmills at the gym and with a Polar cycling computer on my bicycle. I have found the chest strap more accurate and consistent reading my heart rate. Unfortunately that was not the case with the Fitbit Charge HR based on almost 2 weeks of use.

I realize there are a number of factors when it comes to getting a proper heart rate indication. I have found that the chest straps provide a more accurate and consistent reading as compared to my experience with the Fibit.

It might have to do with how and where the Fitbit is picking up the heart rate information. I did do all the recommended suggestions from Fitbiit regarding location on my arm while exercising but it was never reliable in my opinion based on my experience. Again, I never had these issues with a chest strap.

Bob

04-02-15 03:49 PM
    I will update how the Polar H7 chest strap works out once I receive it...ordered today. I've used Polar chest straps before integrated with treadmills at the gym and with a Polar cycling computer on my bicycle. I have found the chest strap more accurate and consistent reading my heart rate. Unfortunately that was not the case with the Fitbit Charge HR based on almost 2 weeks of use.

I realize there are a number of factors when it comes to getting a proper heart rate indication. I have found that the chest straps provide a more accurate and consistent reading as compared to my experience with the Fibit.

It might have to do with how and where the Fitbit is picking up the heart rate information. I did do all the recommended suggestions from Fitbiit regarding location on my arm while exercising but it was never reliable in my opinion based on my experience. Again, I never had these issues with a chest strap.

Bob

My experience of a chest strap (Polar) is that it's a much 'better' fit than any watch-style device could ever be, unfortunately they are just inconvenient and I'd never wear one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'm not convinced there is a need to know your heart rate every single hour of the day for the vast majority of people and I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in cases of health anxiety.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 04:01 PM
    I only monitor my heart rate while exercising so wearing a chest strap is fine with me...I don't really want to know what my heart rate is when I'm stressed or under duress...hahaha

Bob

04-02-15 04:27 PM
    My buddy had to design a usb based heart rate monitor for final college project. You basically sample as much as you can for storage and battery limitations, and then algorithms process the data to get the bpm. The algorithms was the hardest part due to increase and decrease in duty cycle of the heart rate. I think averaging helps to smooth out spikes. Missed or invalid data points affect the algorithm, too.

The data looks like mountains and valleys with spikes from the bottom of different amplitude. There's only so much accuracy possible through this electronic measuring method.

Posted via CB10
    oystersourced likes this.
    04-02-15 04:29 PM
    I only monitor my heart rate while exercising so wearing a chest strap is fine with me...I don't really want to know what my heart rate is when I'm stressed or under duress...hahaha

Bob

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 05:37 PM
    My experience of a chest strap (Polar) is that it's a much 'better' fit than any watch-style device could ever be, unfortunately they are just inconvenient and I'd never wear one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'm not convinced there is a need to know your heart rate every single hour of the day for the vast majority of people and I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in cases of health anxiety.

Posted via CB10
    I understand your point. However, I could see it being a benefit as one is learning about their body and its responses to various situations. Similar to MFP and tracking food/calories consumed. When first learning my nutrition needs, I tracked everything - literally - that I ate and the exercises performed. After about six months, I had a good handle on what to eat and what to avoid, so I backed off of the tracking endeavor.

Similarly, I can see how monitoring HR, or even BP might be beneficial, to establish a baseline.

Just random thoughts of someone on the interwebs.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 05:12 AM
    Hi Guys,
    I am currently using both the Microsoft band and the polar h7 with casca run pro. For what its is worth the heart rate readings from both are much the same. The band has to sync over the PC but the android app on my z10 will display all the data after sync. I am ultimately hoping to use just the microsoft band so as not to need the phone when training for the gps track. At present the band will not sync to strava so I continue to use casca run for that. But up to now casca run pro and polar HRM have worked perfectly.
    04-03-15 06:16 AM
    Fitbit app does not work well with blackberry. It has problems detecting my fitbit charge hr
    It is annoying

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 06:55 AM
    I had issues syncing my Charge HR to the Fibit app as well...it took multiple attempts but eventually it did sync.

Bob

04-03-15 11:27 AM

Bob

Just thinking Bob, what if you wore the fitbit with the face on the inside of your wrist? That's where they normally take your pulse from?

Posted via One Very Cool Passport!
    04-03-15 03:59 PM
    It is designed to be worn like a watch and measure the heart rate on top of your arm/wrist from what I understand.

If you wore it reversed it would be very inconvenient to push the button that cycles the functions and see the read out.

In any event I returned my Fitbit yesterday and I now have the Polar H7 chest strap. I will post up my experience using it with CascRun Pro in the next couple of days.

Bob

Smitty13 likes this.
    04-03-15 07:07 PM
    Since starting this thread I have been watching the responses. I have also watched my Fitbit Charge and have noticed it is not 100% accurate.

I do a lot of driving and in sales and after one 12 hour day I was told I stepped 10,000 steps. Which was not possible being in the car for so long. As well the sleep log is never correct. The other night I slept only 2 hours according to it.

What I am getting at is I think there is an issue with the Fitbit software or how I am wearing it, (or the user).

Now when I and on the treadmill the steps do record accurately.

I am having no problem syncing my Fitbit with my Passport, it synced one day from 10 feet away. How do I know it was 10 feet? Cause I was charging it with my laptop and packed it up in my backpack in a rush to get out of hotel. Hour later I went to check time, panicked cause I thought I dropped it. Tried sync to see if it was near me, which it did so I knew it was in van. It was in the back in my backpack.
    04-04-15 06:58 AM
    It's important to remember that Fitbit's award steps for exertion not necessarily actual steps. That being said it's easy to imagine that driving along a bumpy road or talking with your hands will also increase your count. This is not really a issue because the products are designed to log data to help identify trends, they are not strictly step counters.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 02:56 PM
    This thread has saved me from buying the fitbit Charge HR :-)

Was chasing a HR monitor for Casca as well and it seemed like a good choice as it doubled up as a step counter etc instead of being just 100% HR monitor. Oh well might just have to buy a specific HR monitor.

Official PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-04-15 10:59 PM
    Here is my update after picking up a Polar H7 chest strap heart rate monitor and using it with CascRun Pro. I couldn't be happier!!!

The heart rate monitoring is consistent and by all accounts accurate. There are no fluctuations like I was experiencing with the Fitbit Charge HR. I have been using it for 3 days and the heart rate tracking with CascRun Pro has remained consistent recording bpm's during my exercise routine. I really like the data tracking with CascRun Pro...distance, pace, heart rate, GPS, etc. The Fibit app wasn't able to provide a lot of this information so I have the one app that is doing what I want and need.

In the end I'm where I need to be for me and my needs. No doubt the Fitbit offerings will provide the data some are looking for but in my case it just wasn't able to do so.

Bob

Last edited by Bob80220; 04-05-15 at 11:54 AM.
    niss63, oystersourced and Norg like this.
    04-05-15 11:11 AM
    I have a different experience with the Polar H7. It worked well for about 4 months, then it started malfunctioning. The heart rate readings would be erratic. The heart rate displayed would vary between 00 and 220. Then it stopped working altogether. I tried replacing the battery in both the transmitter and the watch, but it would still would not transmit my heart rate. I called Customer Service and they sent a replacement transmitter. Again, it worked well for a couple of months and then the same thing happened again. I'm on my third transmitter. Again, it is beginning to show signs of failing again.

In all cases, I've taken good care of the watch, transmitter and chest strap, cleaning and drying it every day.

I currently have the Fitbit Surge. I've used it at the same time as the Polar H7. The Fitbit Surge heart rage tracks well with the Polar H7. The heart rate is within 5 bpm of each other. The one thing you need to do is to keep the Fitbit from moving around while you work out. If it starts sliding around, the heart rate varies. Keeping the Fitbit from moving around is easier said than done. Especially when you start sweating. I'm looking for an extension for the band (or will make one myself) so I can move the Fitbit closer to my elbow. I'm hoping in that location, my forearm muscle will keep the Fitbit from sliding down.

I've only had the Fitbit Surge for a couple of weeks, so I am still evaluating it. One thing I've noticed is that the GPS is not accurate. I've tracked my rounds of golf and running. The GPS is displaying half the distance that it should. I'm trying to figure out why.
    niss63 likes this.
    04-05-15 10:50 PM
    Anyone ordered the Jawbone UP3 with HR monitor? Supposed to be released later this month, no app in the amazon store for it but it may work with Casca run pro.

austriker likes this.
    04-18-15 06:10 AM
    Anyone ordered the Jawbone UP3 with HR monitor? Supposed to be released later this month, no app in the amazon store for it but it may work with Casca run pro.

"Our advanced bioimpedance sensors are able to automatically track your resting heart rate and use that information to help you take care of the most important organ in your body."

Again this isn't a device to actively and accurately track your heart rate through different levels of intensity.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 02:32 PM
81 1234