Hello everyone,

My companies exchange policy requires a 6digit password with 1 hour auto-lock. I would like to use Picture Password (with less duration till locking) but it's not possible.
    Is there a way to circumvent the exchange rule? I would be fine with having picture pass after 3 or 5 minutes and having to enter the 6digit password after 1 hour. Or disable the 6digit completely?

Thanks for your help!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 04:46 AM
    You are asking to circumvent a password on the most secure mobile platform. Good luck.
    All you can do is contact your employer and get them to enable picture password on their exchange policy. Considering picture password is more secure than a standard password or pin from people looking over your shoulder hopefully they will be responsive to the change.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 04:54 AM
    There isn't a way to get around Exchange ActiveSync policies applying to your phone, that's the point of them.

It seems to be BlackBerry's choice that if you connect to a mailbox over ActiveSync then you can't use Picture Password. Why limit choice? I have no idea.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3175 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    06-26-14 04:55 AM
    All you can do is contact your employer and get them to enable picture password on their exchange policy.
    Posted via CB10
    Just for clarification, Exchange knows nothing of BlackBerry picture password, there's no policy relating to it. Exchange ActiveSync policies are very basic.

06-26-14 04:57 AM
    Just for clarification, Exchange knows nothing of BlackBerry picture password, there's no policy relating to it. Exchange ActiveSync policies are very basic.

The exchange policy is requiring a short numerical password. Picture password is not a short numerical password, so it's locked out. The Exchange Admins need to change the password policy, before picture password is allowed.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:57 AM
    Your best bet is to just ask your IT department for a special clearance.
    06-26-14 10:50 AM
    The exchange policy is requiring a short numerical password. Picture password is not a short numerical password, so it's locked out. The Exchange Admins need to change the password policy, before picture password is allowed.

Posted via CB10
    But before you can use picture password you need to set a numeric password first right?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 11:01 AM
    There isn't a way to get around Exchange ActiveSync policies applying to your phone, that's the point of them.

It seems to be BlackBerry's choice that if you connect to a mailbox over ActiveSync then you can't use Picture Password. Why limit choice? I have no idea.

How is it BlackBerry's fault? Picture password works fine with EAS, as long as there's not an Exchange policy requiring a password that PP doesn't comply with.The device is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to be doing.
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-26-14 11:01 AM
    How is it BlackBerry's fault? Picture password works fine with EAS, as long as there's not an Exchange policy requiring a password that PP doesn't comply with.The device is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to be doing.
    It's BlackBerry's decision to remove the option to use Picture Password if an EAS policy requires something stronger, EAS has no ability to do that. There would be nothing wrong with complying with the EAS policy but still allowing Picture Password to be available as an unlock step before or after the EAS enforced password prompt. Extra layers of security shouldn't be put out the user's reach.

06-27-14 01:16 PM
    It's BlackBerry's decision to remove the option to use Picture Password if an EAS policy requires something stronger, EAS has no ability to do that. There would be nothing wrong with complying with the EAS policy but still allowing Picture Password to be available as an unlock step before or after the EAS enforced password prompt. Extra layers of security shouldn't be put out the user's reach.

So you are saying BlackBerry should leave in the picture password but then still prompt the user for their 6 digit password? Essentially requiring a user to go through two unlock mechanisms. I don't see a typical user wanting to have to perform two unlocks to get to their email, let alone one since users complain about the password prompt by itself, except for the occasional paranoid person.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    06-27-14 07:02 PM
    I am thinking this would be the same as expecting to be able to use facial unlock on android, or touch ID on iPhone. Since exchange doesn't recognize those, a pin password is required on those too.
    06-27-14 07:07 PM
    So you are saying BlackBerry should leave in the picture password but then still prompt the user for their 6 digit password? Essentially requiring a user to go through two unlock mechanisms. I don't see a typical user wanting to have to perform two unlocks to get to their email, let alone one since users complain about the password prompt by itself, except for the occasional paranoid person.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    I believe he is saying they he'd be OK with being able to use pic password to lock his device at shorter intervals, while still leaving the required 6-digit pin password for the one hour interval. In other words, his pic password would come in when the device is inactive for at least 10 minutes (for example), while the pin password would come up (in lieu of, or in addition to the pic password) if the device is inactive for an hour.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 07:17 PM
    From what I have read, it sounds like Apple gets around this by letting touch id basically take the place of the PIN. No, it doesn't take the place of a PIN, you still set a PIN, but the touch id is acting like a shortcut for the PIN so the EAS requirement is still met.

Clever, but it technically is working around the requirements set by the EAS policy. Nobody complains though because it's Apple.

If BlackBerry picture password misrepresented itself as a PIN replacement, people would be up in arms about it.

Sounds like android face recognition is the same as picture password for BB. Hard to say which way you think is right.
    HotFix likes this.
    06-27-14 07:25 PM

That's not how standards are supposed to work. The proper way is to meet the criteria set forth in them.

Now you've decided that BBRY should create a scenario where multiple password criteria and functions will be active on the same device AND on different schedules? Sounds like a nightmare.
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-27-14 08:53 PM
    What I'm experiencing is slightly different.

I have a Q10 and Z10. I have an Outlook, Gmail and work exchange on both devices.

Picture password works flawlessly on the Q10 (my first phone) and has never worked on the Z10. Now I don't even have the option to turn on picture password on the Z10.

Any ideas?!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 06:58 PM
    Same OS version loaded on both?
    07-13-14 07:41 PM
    Hello everyone,

My companies exchange policy requires a 6digit password with 1 hour auto-lock. I would like to use Picture Password (with less duration till locking) but it's not possible.
    Is there a way to circumvent the exchange rule? I would be fine with having picture pass after 3 or 5 minutes and having to enter the 6digit password after 1 hour. Or disable the 6digit completely?

Thanks for your help!

Posted via CB10
    My employer has the same IT policy for corporate owned BB10s. Strangely, they don't have that policy for BYOD BB10s. Makes no sense, but that sums up my employers IT dept.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247/Telus
    07-13-14 07:59 PM
    Same OS version loaded on both?
    Yes!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:34 PM