I have a SanDisk 64 GB SDXC card in my Z10 and it's been working fine since I got it a few months ago.

I pulled it out, slipped it into my W8 laptop, copied all the files off of it onto my laptop (36 GB, ran at about 30 mbps, took about 15 minutes), formatted it to exFAT, (took less than a minute), copied the files back onto the card (strangely, this step took almost an hour and only ran at about 10 mbps, same card, same laptop, same slot... go figure).

Now all is running fine. No noticeable performance change, but if I do notice something, I'll post a follow up.

I understand this new format allows BB10 to access files over 4 GB. I don't have any of those... but I will soon.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-29-14 at 11:17 AM. Reason: update - see problem with Windows 8, below
    05-28-14 10:46 AM
    what program did you use to reformat? having trouble says card is write protected
    05-28-14 10:56 AM
    The process takes longer because your card can't write as quick as your computer can.
    The same applies to DVDs, USB or any other media.

But, very good find. Time add more space to my Z10.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-28-14 10:58 AM
    what program did you use to reformat? having trouble says card is write protected
    Did you turn on encryption?
    05-28-14 11:12 AM
    Ok, so I have a 64 gig card in my Z30 and it's working fine: what are the benefits to reformatting it as exFAT (over whatever it is using now that is obviously working but perhaps I may encounter difficulties with... files larger than 4gb or something?)

Seriously, is there a succinct explanation of why I would want to change over to the exFAT file system?
    05-28-14 11:48 AM
    Ok, so I have a 64 gig card in my Z30 and it's working fine: what are the benefits to reformatting it as exFAT (over whatever it is using now that is obviously working but perhaps I may encounter difficulties with... files larger than 4gb or something?)

Seriously, is there a succinct explanation of why I would want to change over to the exFAT file system?
    I think it's mainly for larger files. When recording an HD video it stops at 4gb, how good is that? Then the 4gb recording can't be played according to some that have ran into the wall.
    05-28-14 11:56 AM
    I just did a right click on the windows explorer icon representing the card, clicked "format", then let it do its thing. "ExFAT" is the default format so that's exactly what I wanted. I didn't change any of the other format settings.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:22 PM
    Did you turn on encryption?
    Nope, I'm not using encryption on this card.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:23 PM
    Nope, I'm not using encryption on this card.

Posted via CB10
    I was asking the guy I quotes as he says his is write protected.
    05-28-14 01:01 PM
    I think it's mainly for larger files. When recording an HD video it stops at 4gb, how good is that? Then the 4gb recording can't be played according to some that have ran into the wall.
    Thanks muchly for that: I just use my media card for smaller files, no 4 giggers for me (although some of the movies downloaded from BBW approach that) I will not bother with this for now, but next if I ever update or need to reformat the card, I'll go exFAT.
    05-28-14 01:49 PM
    I was asking the guy I quotes as he says his is write protected.
    My bad.

Hopefully he comes back and answers you.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 02:19 PM
    I've been using 64gb for about 10 months with no issues

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 02:23 PM
    My bad.

Hopefully he comes back and answers you.

Posted via CB10
    NP just wondering as I don't know of a physical way to lock an sdhc card.
    05-28-14 04:11 PM
    UPDATE:

Sooo... when I said "working good", I meant that the card works fine on the phone itself.

However, last night I discovered that when I plug my Z10 into my W8 laptop via usb, windows won't allow me to access the SD card now. I can access the phone's internal 16 GB memory, but not the card. An error message appears:
    Ex-FAT 64 GB working good on 2941-error-msg.png

When I check the properties of the SD card while it is attached via usb, the windows properties dialog show it as NTFC:
    Ex-FAT 64 GB working good on 2941-sd-properties.png

When I remove the card from the phone and attach it to the laptop using the SD card adaptor that came with it, the windows properties shows it is exFAT:

Ex-FAT 64 GB working good on 2941-sd-exfat.png

I tried loading up Link to see if it would install some new drivers but damn how do we fix this now???

(I tried to change the title of this thread but for some reason it doesn't save after I press "save changes".)
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-29-14 at 05:52 PM. Reason: to blur out my pin LOL - lots of weird invites all of a sudden!
    05-29-14 11:10 AM
    Report the issue to Michael Clewley on Twitter or email. He will get right on it.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-29-14 11:22 AM
    Something isn't right. Back to the bug board.
    05-29-14 11:29 AM
    I just sent Michael Clewley an email.

Edit: he replied back and the team is looking into it

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter0328; 05-29-14 at 01:06 PM.
    05-29-14 11:32 AM
    (I tried to change the title of this thread but for some reason it doesn't save after I press "save changes".)
    You can try to change a topic title but it won't "take": ask a mod in the first post and one might do so.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and PatrickMJS like this.
    05-29-14 01:42 PM
    Does it work via Wifi storage access?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:43 PM
    Does it work via Wifi storage access?

Posted via CB10
    Just the same as via usb - I just tested it cuz I had wifi access off.

I turned it on in Link, unplugged the usb and watched a NASA spacewalk video on my laptop's vlc player using a file on the phone's internal memory, drive "Z" on my laptop.

But drive "Y" pops up with the exact same error message, "not accessible, handle not valid".
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-29-14 06:03 PM
    It took me 2&1/2 days to decrypt my 64Gb SD card, which is only half full. That's just crazy...

I then connected my SD card to my laptop, copied all the files off, and then full (not quick) formatted it. That took an hour or so, but finally I copied everything back and put the card back into my Z30. I then started to re-encrypt and am hoping the re-encrypt process goes faster.

Side note, copying files off the card while it was FAT32 formatted averaged about 30MB/s. Copying files back to it averaged about 10MB/s. I think the media card I/O capabilities, even though it's a class 10 SanDisk model, was the bottleneck and not the actual file system type.

Some of the music files gave "media format not supported" type of errors, but a reset of the device seems to have resolved that.

Just sharing in case anyone was curious.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    Last edited by HotFix; 05-31-14 at 09:40 AM.
    tushargkwd likes this.
    05-30-14 06:45 PM
    UPDATE:

Sooo... when I said "working good", I meant that the card works fine on the phone itself.

However, last night I discovered that when I plug my Z10 into my W8 laptop via usb, windows won't allow me to access the SD card now. I can access the phone's internal 16 GB memory, but not the card. An error message appears:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error msg.png 
Views:	282 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	274548

When I check the properties of the SD card while it is attached via usb, the windows properties dialog show it as NTFC:

Name:	SD properties.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	274620

When I remove the card from the phone and attach it to the laptop using the SD card adaptor that came with it, the windows properties shows it is exFAT:

Name:	SD exFAT.png 
Views:	282 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	274550

I tried loading up Link to see if it would install some new drivers but damn how do we fix this now???

I'm experiencing the same thing. Just tried exFat for the first time. Does anyone else here who uses exFat experience this?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:30 AM
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Just tried exFat for the first time. Does anyone else here who uses exFat experience this?

Posted via CB10
    One of the guys posted above that he had notified Michael Clewley via email and obtained a response sayi.g "the team is looking into it".

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 08:54 AM