Guys i have a few questions related to email and BB hub.

I have 7 email address configured in which 5 of them get emails all day. 3 are Work email's and 2 are personal (Gmail and MSN). Now in Email Reconciliation options on OS6 I have set my work email which is on IMAP to delete message only from Handheld and not from server when i delete an email from Handheld. Where as for 1 personal account i have set it to DELETE from BOTH SERVER & Handheld. Another personal account is configured to PROMPT me with option to Delete from both mailbox and handheld or only from handheld.

Now can you set these things in BB10 ?

Another question is I am very much used to folders in BB10. I have everything listed in my Messages aka UNIFIED INBOX except for Text messages. Messages has my personal email, work email, fb, twitter, whats app, bbm etc. But when i receive work email i don't check it via Messages / UNIFIED INBOX, i just go to the specific folder. Now i know there are no more email folders in BB10, but does the HUB shows the different email address in the panel so i can see the emails from that specific account / sent and received ?

Already pretty disappointed that BIS is gone and Profiles are not what they used to be. I hope the above is possible to make life a little easier if I get BB10.
    Robin Lim likes this.
    02-01-13 03:56 AM
    Ok so i checked out a few videos and found N4BB video and it shows hub with different email address so folders issue is solved.

Now if someone can confirm regarding Email Reconciliation (Deleting from Handheld etc)
    02-01-13 07:27 AM
    I'm interested in this as well. My PC is where I keep all my emails, not on the server, so as with my 9900, I want to be able to delete an email from my phone but still have it download on my PC when I open up Outlook.

At the same time, I want the emails to stay on my phone when I download them from the server on my PC. All of which works perfectly using BIS which is now gone.

On Android, you have to use a third party app (K9 or AquaMail) so that I can delete from the phone but not the server and have the emails stay on the phone when they are finally downloaded off the server onto my PC.

I'm hoping BB has still retained some of their BIS functionality in that you can still at least keep copies of emails on the phone even if they aren't on the server.

EDIT - Damn... Just read in another thread that delete from handheld or server is gone with BB10. Guess I'll have to wait for it to either come back or have a third party app. As much as I didn't see the value in BIS for things like browsing, etc. the loss of email functionality really sucks. Since I'm waiting for the Q10, hopefully some of those features will be come back...
    02-09-13 07:11 AM
    Actually , that option is still there, but it's on the server side. Go to your IMAP settings, and you can configure exactly what you want to happen on delete. For example, in Gmail, the default is either to mark it with a "Trash" label or if you have it set to archive, it goes to an "all mail" label. In either case, pressing delete on your handset, removes the "Inbox" label and adds one of those labels. You can configure it to do whatever you want on the server side. Just change the IMAP settings for each email address. The reason that feature was removed is because blackberry hub has 2 way syncing, whereas blackberries annoyingly did not have 2 way sync in the past
    02-09-13 08:26 AM
    Actually , that option is still there, but it's on the server side. Go to your IMAP settings, and you can configure exactly what you want to happen on delete. For example, in Gmail, the default is either to mark it with a "Trash" label or if you have it set to archive, it goes to an "all mail" label. In either case, pressing delete on your handset, removes the "Inbox" label and adds one of those labels. You can configure it to do whatever you want on the server side. Just change the IMAP settings for each email address. The reason that feature was removed is because blackberry hub has 2 way syncing, whereas blackberries annoyingly did not have 2 way sync in the past
    I tried this this morning and it doesn't work, at least with a live/outlook account on my Nexus 4. Yes, it's not a BB but if BB10 operates more like iOS and Android with regards to email, then it may operate the same.

So, on the server side of things, you have two options with live/outlook:
    EDIT - Image upload doesn't seem to want to function so no screen shot.

If I set it to not let the email program decide to delete it, it will move it to the Trash/POP folder and not keep it in the inbox (which means when I get around to downloading it from the server in Outlook on my PC, it wont download as it wont be in the inbox).

Also, at least on the Nexus 4 using the default email client, when I deleted the email from the phone, despite the server settings, it still moved it to the Trash folder.

So, in this case at least for a live/outlook address, this doesn't work. It might work with @gmail but I have more @live addresses that @gmail ones and @live ones work better for other thing in BB10 from what I've read.

This is why on the Nexus I have to run a third party email app, AquaMail (or K9 previously), since it is the only way to delete an email to delete from the server or just the phone (something which was a basic function under BBOS). In reality, I have 4 email apps running on the Nexus to replicate the functionality of how I used email under BBOS.

Guess I am in the minority of how I like to manage my emails but if the stock email client doesn't offer the functionality I need, I guess there is always the chance a third party app will on BB10 or it will come in a future OS update. In the interim, I'll still get by with the 9900 and the Nexus 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Email Deletion / Hub email options-vfem.jpg   Email Deletion / Hub email options-vfem.jpg  
    02-09-13 09:12 AM
    Interesting. I also have a Nexus 4 and a Z10, and I find that my Z10 generally handles emails better(the constant availability of the hub does it for me). To be honest though, I don't really play around with those settings too much as I'm just an average consumer. It might be different for a power user.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-09-13 09:30 AM
    This option worked for me. Too bad you can't do it with YahooMail as well.
    02-09-13 09:37 AM
    When I change the IMAP settings in Gmail, I had to

1. Disable auto-expunge in order to enable choosing what happens when I delete in IMAP
    2. In the delete from IMAP settings, I chose "Move to trash" (the second option), but during testing it doesn't do that. Presumably this is because of the "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder" rule. Somehow it's still visible in an IMAP folder even though I've set "All Mail" to not show in IMAP.

So no, this unfortunately didn't work for me.
    02-16-13 12:18 PM
    When I change the IMAP settings in Gmail, I had to

1. Disable auto-expunge in order to enable choosing what happens when I delete in IMAP
    2. In the delete from IMAP settings, I chose "Move to trash" (the second option), but during testing it doesn't do that. Presumably this is because of the "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder" rule. Somehow it's still visible in an IMAP folder even though I've set "All Mail" to not show in IMAP.

So no, this unfortunately didn't work for me.
    i JUST realized this was happening (came from an iphone using activesync before google turned it off)
    what i did was set auto expunge to OFF and chose "move message to trash"
    under labels i unchecked the "show in IMAP" for ALL MAIL

still same thing happens :S it ends up in "All Mail" which means its still there (archived) not trashed...

WTF
    //bang head
    lol

//edit
    wait a second... it seems to be working now :S
    i just test deleted a bunch of emails and they DO NOT show up under "inbox" or "All mail" (yay) and they DO show up under "Trash" (yay)
    so it works? sometimes? hmm...

this is making me want to switch to outlook.com more and more...gmail is becoming annoying...all was well when they had active sync enabled
    02-21-13 03:23 AM
    i JUST realized this was happening (came from an iphone using activesync before google turned it off)
    what i did was set auto expunge to OFF and chose "move message to trash"
    under labels i unchecked the "show in IMAP" for ALL MAIL

still same thing happens :S it ends up in "All Mail" which means its still there (archived) not trashed...

WTF
    //bang head
    lol

//edit
    wait a second... it seems to be working now :S
    i just test deleted a bunch of emails and they DO NOT show up under "inbox" or "All mail" (yay) and they DO show up under "Trash" (yay)
    so it works? sometimes? hmm...

this is making me want to switch to outlook.com more and more...gmail is becoming annoying...all was well when they had active sync enabled
    So wait, final verdict is that it works now? That's interesting... I'll have to revisit this again...

But yes, ultimately Outlook.com works flawlessly and Gmail is just being a pain in the ***, at the moment.
    02-21-13 05:10 PM
    So wait, final verdict is that it works now? That's interesting... I'll have to revisit this again...

But yes, ultimately Outlook.com works flawlessly and Gmail is just being a pain in the ***, at the moment.
    I will update later today to let u know for sure but last night it was.

However if any emails have that yellow tab (marked important) it will not delete those ones it puts those in limbo aka no labels which means archive to Gmail

//edit
    i can confirm this now works using the setup you posted and that i posted which is thet same (expunge off, move to trash selected)
    just make sure under the "labels" heading you uncheck the 'show in IMAP' part for "all mail" and u should be good to go

if it makes a difference i did the 5 swipe HUB reset thing
    and its not instant deletion so hit the 3 dots on ur phone and hit "refresh" if you want the deletion to take effect right away for testing purposes

cheers
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by makaveli86; 02-21-13 at 06:10 PM.
    02-21-13 05:51 PM
    Thanks! I'll have another go at it.

But any email that is addressed directly to me is marked as important with that yellow tab, does that mean none of them will go to trash even with this setting?
    02-21-13 10:04 PM
    It looks like it...I tested by marking a random email with the yellow thing and it indeed did not send to trash label it just removed the inbox label and left it without label

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 12:00 AM
    It looks like it...I tested by marking a random email with the yellow thing and it indeed did not send to trash label it just removed the inbox label and left it without label

Posted via CB10
    I can't get either scenario to work, whether yellow tab (important) email or not.
    03-19-13 03:55 PM
    Okay, so just to update the situation, I guess it took a few days to register the changes but it finally is deleting mail to the trash.

I don't know what I did but I've now replicated the settings on my second Gmail account to see if I can get it to work there too.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 07:22 PM
    Hello guys,

I had the same problem with gmail configured on my new Q10. I looked at this thread, changed the settings in gmail but it did not solve the issue.

Finally, I also unchecked "show in imap" for the label "important" and deleting on the device now moves the message into the trash folder.

I hope it can help any of you!

jtflyer
    kshitijmehta and Robin Lim like this.
    05-24-13 02:39 AM
    I had the same problem with gmail configured on my new Q10. I looked at this thread, changed the settings in gmail but it did not solve the issue.

Finally, I also unchecked "show in imap" for the label "important" and deleting on the device now moves the message into the trash folder.

Interesting information. Thanks.
    05-24-13 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the tip

I unchecked the all mail show in IMAP and now when i delete the email is deleted on Gmail server.

Thanks
    06-12-13 10:07 PM
    Hello guys,

I hope it can help any of you!

jtflyer
    Guys this is it...this is the solution...after 3 days I found the perfect answer...thank you sir!!!!
    Omnitech likes this.
    07-20-13 03:15 PM
    Thanks gents. Been wondering how to get this done. Maybe someone should post this on the Tips & Tick thread.

Posted from my Zed 10
    07-20-13 09:48 PM
    Glad I found this thread!

For some reason, filing messages to Trash WAS working for me. It stopped after I did a software update, throwing the error "You cannot file messages to the $$TRASH$$ folder". Huh?? WHY?

So Crackberry to the rescue. I am guessing the dreaded "Show folder in IMAP" has been the issue on every device I have ever synced Gmail with via IMAP.

Great find!
    07-29-13 09:20 PM
    yup - unchecking show "all mail" in the gmail settings works and deleted emails go to trash now.

EXCEPT now my "All Mail" folder has disappeared from Outlook

I think until Gmail/Blackberry fix this problem the only solution is to make a "deleted" label and file messages to that from the phone and then once a week go to Gmail and delete everything in that folder
    09-08-13 08:08 AM
    For Google Apps legacy email (setup via either Gmail wizard i.e. google authorised accounts or IMAP ), I tried deleting emails after turning off auto-expunge (and 'move to trash' option) and unchecking 'All mail' and 'important' from showing on IMAP. The emails are still archiving. The same is true for accounts with 2-step verification enabled as well as disabled.

However, for regular Gmail (setup via either Gmail wizard i.e. google authorised accounts or IMAP ), I tried deleting emails after turning off auto-expunge (and 'move to trash' option) and unchecking 'All mail' and 'important' from showing on IMAP. The emails are deleting perfectly when deleted from server as well as the same. The same is true for accounts with 2-step verification enabled as well as disabled.

So the problem still lies with Google Apps legacy account mailboxes.
    03-24-14 07:35 AM
    For Google Apps legacy email (setup via either Gmail wizard i.e. google authorised accounts or IMAP ), I tried deleting emails after turning off auto-expunge (and 'move to trash' option) and unchecking 'All mail' and 'important' from showing on IMAP. The emails are still archiving. The same is true for accounts with 2-step verification enabled as well as disabled.

However, for regular Gmail (setup via either Gmail wizard i.e. google authorised accounts or IMAP ), I tried deleting emails after turning off auto-expunge (and 'move to trash' option) and unchecking 'All mail' and 'important' from showing on IMAP. The emails are deleting perfectly when deleted from server as well as the same. The same is true for accounts with 2-step verification enabled as well as disabled.

So the problem still lies with Google Apps legacy account mailboxes.

I guess I don't normally hear people referring to "regular" vs "legacy" Gmail mailboxes.

When was that transition? How does one tell the difference?

I have 2 Gmail accounts but I haven't noticed anything different between them, one was created probably a few years ago and one was created sometime in the last 6-8 months or so.
    03-26-14 05:48 AM
    I guess I don't normally hear people referring to "regular" vs "legacy" Gmail mailboxes.

When was that transition? How does one tell the difference?

I have 2 Gmail accounts but I haven't noticed anything different between them, one was created probably a few years ago and one was created sometime in the last 6-8 months or so.
    He's probably referring to pre and post Google Apps transition from allowing ActiveSync accounts and not allowing ActiveSync accounts on the old free tier for Google Apps for Business that they no longer offer.
    03-30-14 05:27 PM
26 12