Hi

I recently subscribed to EE here in the UK. I had so many calls to their support to make my BBM work that I agree to buy the "solution" : buy a 5� Blackberry add-on.

Now after a month, EE is automatically deducting 5� from my PAYG balance with this Blackberry add-on.

I assume this is rubish correct?

I can't believe they could block BBM for those not paying this add-on. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!
    09-07-14 05:30 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, that �5 booster is for legacy devices. BB10 phones don't need them.

Posted from a D618
    09-07-14 05:45 AM
    Yep thats right BB10 phones do not need the old BIS eg BOS 5/6and7.to make email and BBM work.If that is the reason then tell them to stuff themselves, what a rip off that is unsubscribe giving the reasons above.O2 dont charge me more for those services unless it is part of the plan,if i need extra data etc then yes i pay extra.
    09-07-14 06:31 AM
    Not necessary.

I'm still surprised how many people in the mobile industry still not aware of BlackBerry 10 acting as a regular smartphone on the network.

BlackBerry really didn't make a good job training carriers.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 06:54 AM
    Not necessary.

I'm still surprised how many people in the mobile industry still not aware of BlackBerry 10 acting as a regular smartphone on the network.

BlackBerry really didn't make a good job training carriers.

Posted via CB10
    "Not necessary" I agree, but how do you explain my BBM not working before this addon? Internet was working but not BBM. and when I turn WIFI, BBM works. Clearly BBM was blocked by EE.

My post was not to question the ability of BB10 to function w/o a legacy BB addon. My goal here is to hear from someone that effectively has a EE PAYG plan to confirm they do not need this boost to make bbm work.

thanks anyways.
    09-07-14 07:11 AM
    Prior to the launch of BlackBerry 10 I did talk to BlackBerry about subscriptions and provisioning and was told it was up to the individual carrier, but it looked like it would not require any additional subscriptions for the Nordic carriers.

There is a chance EE is actively blocking BlackBerry infrastructure for PAYG without the additional BlackBerry subscription, but I'm not qualified tell you if that's the case or not.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 07:26 AM
    Prior to the launch of BlackBerry 10 I did talk to BlackBerry about subscriptions and provisioning and was told it was up to the individual carrier, but it looked like it would not require any additional subscriptions for the Nordic carriers.

There is a chance EE is actively blocking BlackBerry infrastructure for PAYG without the additional BlackBerry subscription, but I'm not qualified tell you if that's the case or not.

Posted via CB10
    ^this.

Same experience with Bell Canada on launch.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 08:08 AM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:19 PM
    I had a similar issue although I am on o2, whereby I was experiencing a lot of email bounce-backs. Got in touch with O2 who added the Blackberry data bolt-on to my tariff (at no extra cost) and so far I have not experienced any more bounce-backs. Not sure how this works, as I was under the same assumption as others that OS10 worked liked any regular smartphone. Anyway, it works for me so cant complain.
    09-08-14 10:27 AM
    I had a similar issue although I am on o2, whereby I was experiencing a lot of email bounce-backs. Got in touch with O2 who added the Blackberry data bolt-on to my tariff (at no extra cost) and so far I have not experienced any more bounce-backs. Not sure how this works, as I was under the same assumption as others that OS10 worked liked any regular smartphone. Anyway, it works for me so cant complain.
    When you are on wireless how your traffic flows is up to the carrier. Just like an ISP. They could just route your traffic to the addressee, or they can only route it if someone pays or whatever they want.

BlackBerry required special routing for BIS and BES. They don't for BB10. But some carriers use the history to get that extra bit of profit, because money. Some like O2 it seems, just haven't updated their data handling but aren't out to gouge.

It will probably be like this for a long time. I can't see CIOs being eager to make a lot of changes to their networks for less than 1% of their users, especially if they don't actually supply BlackBerrys.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 04:25 PM
    I had the same issue using a Z30 on Digicel in Barbados. At first I bought a smartphone prepaid data package, and I just would not get data on the device, much less the BlackBerry symbol at the top. I went into the store, he tried my sim on an Android device and it worked fine. So then he called their central office and had my prepaid plan switched to a "prepaid BlackBerry data plan", and within minutes my emails started flowing in.

So yeah... totally up to the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 05:57 PM
    I am running a z10 stl100-2 on EE UK unlimited 4g contract and my bbm works flawlessly with no blackberry addons? So it's not there network and you are paying for something you don't need

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 06:14 PM
    I am running a z10 stl100-2 on EE UK unlimited 4g contract and my bbm works flawlessly with no blackberry addons? So it's not there network and you are paying for something you don't need

Posted via CB10
    Are you on a PAYG plan like the OP? I think that might be the difference

STL-4. 10.3.0.1130
    Antonio Bruno1 likes this.
    09-08-14 07:00 PM
    I was going to switch from O2 4G PAYG to EE 4G PAYG as for the same price EE give twice as much data (2GB) and include more call time plus EE's 4G network is way more developed than O2's.

But I'm glad I read this thread as it sounds like I'd actually have to pay another 5 UKP a month more than I do now just because I'm using a Blackberry and not because there's a technical requirement for it. Not impressed with that from EE.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    Antonio Bruno1 likes this.
    09-08-14 07:32 PM
    I'm actually on a 3g contract using a sim card from my old blackberry curve on ee/orange . I bought the z10 sim free.

The internet is a bit rubbish - sometimes it works very fast and well. Sometimes it doesn't work.

However even if the internet is not working at all, bbm always works and it always puzzled me why the internet doesn't work and bbm works!

Maybe it's the blackberry add on my contract from my old curve?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 12:13 AM
    My plan is PAYG from EE-TMobile
    09-10-14 04:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    It could also be because, if you pay for the BBM add on, the usage of the app/service would not form part of your data allowance. As previously mentioned by someone earlier O2 also have a Blackberry Add-on which is free of charge for the same purpose.
    09-10-14 05:39 PM