I generally leave it off unless I'm using maps.

But I want to leave it on, so I can you BlackBerry protect.

Does it burn battery or data when on in standby?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 03:43 PM
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please add carrier and maybe location to your profile. Makes it easier for others to help you.

You can leave Location Services set to On and it typically won't burn any/much battery.
    In BB10, Location Services (i.e. GPS) shuts itself off after it's used. If you don't see the GPS icon (upside-down teardrop with hole) on left side of top bar in Hub & home screens, then it's inactive.

Leaving some apps open like Maps or maybe Foursquare might cause it to be on for much longer duration and potentially burn some battery.
    Be wary of Android ports that use it too. Ironically, Android apps can stay open in background in BB10's Android Runtime environment.

If you see it stuck in your top bar for a prolonged period without explanation, you might want to reset your device by holding down the Volume Up & Down keys together until you see the blue startup icon. After that reboot, it should be dormant again.
    10-25-13 03:57 PM
    Agreed.. Don't think it burns much battery just leaving location services on
    10-25-13 06:59 PM
    It uses battery, not sure how much. It is only on when it is needed by apps or the OS. I'm pretty sure I have it on, but you'll notice that it's active with the icon in the top left corner next to the battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 07:20 PM
    Just to add some more confusion:
    GPS receivers generally have 3 states: off, stand by, and on and it works exactly like a PC - in stand by(sleep) it draws some power, although very little, but the time it needs to find location is quicker than from complete off (much like you get to your desktop quicker when PC is asleep).
    I know for sure that this is how my Android phone works and every other phone I had before BBQ10. When receiver is off, it may take up to 2 minutes to locate you (I have seen official specs of that).
    However, the Q10 seems to find locations within seconds even if Location services were OFF.

With that said, it is unclear if GPS receivers got greatly improved within the last year(GLONAS?), or if GPS receiver is always on stand by state even if location services are off.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-25-13 07:47 PM
    I believe the location services can use cell tower signals to aid the GPS in acquiring a quicker fix be giving it a rough location from where to start.

I did have an issue after upgrading to 10.2 of the location services icon (LS) staying on all the time even though there were no map apps or camera running (I use the go tag option). Finally figured out it was th Skype app, which I think is an Android port, that was hanging on to the LS service even though it wasn't running. I just logged out and logged back into Skype and the problem went away. I definite saw more power usage during that period when the LS was always running (I use Battery Guru)

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:22 PM
    I've had issues with location services where for some reason the icon in the top, left hand side corner just wouldn't disappear. It really annoyed me and got me worried because my battery life was affected, slightly, and I wasn't sure if it was heloing itself to my data so I went to application permissions and turned off any apps that had access to these services and deleted any that wouldn't let me turn it off. I even went a step further (thanks to the advice of a fellow Crackberian) and turned the location services off altogether. I now enjoy a fairly longer battery life compared to before the icon appeared which surprised me. I just wish I didn't have to go back to my settings each time I need to turn them on again.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:37 PM