Tell me if this helps explain the reboot issues people currently have????

QNX was built as a super tiny OS. It has something called a Micro Kernel architecture. This differs from Unix, MacOS and Windows which have much larger, monolithic kernels. Even the older Java-based BlackBerry OS is a monolithic system.

Ultimately, a micro kernel design gives you an OS that is easier to maintain, more secure, and much more flexible.

If you've ever been a Windows user, you're familiar with the blue screen of death. You know what I mean, right? Your computer crashes, the screen turns blue, and some total incomprehensible message is displayed on your screen telling you about a fatal system error.

Huge monolithic kernels are more likely to run into these "blue screen of death" problems because various applications and processes all share the same memory. Let's say a third party app has a bug in it that overwrites memory allocated to another application, or a core part of the operating system. The entire system can come crashing down, and it would be very hard to figure out what's causing the problem.

The Neutrino micro kernel architecture avoids this problem by allocating virtual memory to each process. There are only two required elements in a QNX Neutrino system. The first is the micro kernel. The second is the process manager. Everything else runs as a process, and is managed by the process manager, and handed off to the micro kernal OS for execution. If a buggy application accidentally tries to write into memory that it doesn't control, the process manager will recognize it as an address not allocated to the app, and tell the kernel to shut down the problem on the spot. No blue screen of death.

That's why it is exceptionally rare to hear of PlayBook owners who complain that their device crashed, while BlackBerry handhelds can crash much more often. Individual applications can crash. But the core OS? Rarely.

Within QNX, everything runs as a process that plugs into the main OS. Things like TCP/IP or wireless communications are all processes. Drivers are all individual processes, as are each application running on the device.The keyboard, the gesture recognition, and the rendering of anything to the screen are all individual processes. If something goes wrong, in most cases, the kernel can reboot these processes without you, the user, even knowing that anything happened.

- Excerpt from 'History of QNX and its Implementation in BlackBerry 10'

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10!!!! Best Phone Ever!!!!! #BlackBerryforLife
    06-08-13 10:44 AM
    I'm not sure this really addresses the reboot issue. I think the rebooting the article is talking about here is just the process (application) that gets rebooted... not the entire OS. I remember reading an interview prior to BB10's release, when Thorsten was going around hyping it, he mentioned something similar saying that the BB10 phone he's been carrying around for about 8 weeks had NEVER rebooted or crashed on him once... but when an app crashed, the phone would shut down the app and restart it without affecting the rest of the OS. The random reboots people are experiencing is the the whole phone shutting down. It made it kind of a letdown for me when my Z10 was rebooting multiple times a day. Luckily, the latest leak fixed that for me and I've been reboot-free for the past couple weeks.
    06-08-13 11:05 AM
    Nor does this explain why in my 4 months of use I have yet to experience a random reboot. On Telus in Canada.

Do we even know whether this is more common on BlackBerry OS than others? Googled iPhone randomly reboots and got 2.15 million results.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    06-08-13 11:29 AM
    Reboots (every day) SOLVED with 10.1.0.2312
    06-08-13 11:56 AM
    I'm not sure this really addresses the reboot issue. I think the rebooting the article is talking about here is just the process (application) that gets rebooted... not the entire OS. I remember reading an interview prior to BB10's release, when Thorsten was going around hyping it, he mentioned something similar saying that the BB10 phone he's been carrying around for about 8 weeks had NEVER rebooted or crashed on him once... but when an app crashed, the phone would shut down the app and restart it without affecting the rest of the OS. The random reboots people are experiencing is the the whole phone shutting down. It made it kind of a letdown for me when my Z10 was rebooting multiple times a day. Luckily, the latest leak fixed that for me and I've been reboot-free for the past couple weeks.
    I get what you're saying but what about the software crashing??? I haven't had a reboot but i haven't heard of anyones phone crashing so I thought that the reboots were preventing the phone from crashing from whatever bug was in the software.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 12:19 PM
    Huge monolithic kernels are more likely to run into these "blue screen of death" problems because various applications and processes all share the same memory. Let's say a third party app has a bug in it that overwrites memory allocated to another application, or a core part of the operating system. The entire system can come crashing down, and it would be very hard to figure out what's causing the problem.
    Not true since the dawn of 386 processors, Linux and Windows use protected mode and allocate virtual memory on a per process basis. A windows or Linux application cannot overwrite allocated memory for another application unless is running on kernel space, which currently is used mostly only by drivers and the kernel itself on Windows and drivers, kernel, netfilter, selinux, and some very priviledged processes on Linux. No user applications run on kernel space, and therefore can only see their allocated virtual memory.

The whole system on Windows or Linux is normally due to buggy drivers, or hardware failure. Lockups can also occur if the system runs out of memory and cannot kill processes fastly enough to free resources.
    06-08-13 01:00 PM
    I get what you're saying but what about the software crashing??? I haven't had a reboot but i haven't heard of anyones phone crashing so I thought that the reboots were preventing the phone from crashing from whatever bug was in the software.

Posted via CB10
    I'm no expert... but I kinda feel like the phone is rebooting because of software crashing. Whether it's an individual app or the OS. Ideally, if a software (app) crashed, the system would shut it down and restart it on it's own without affecting anything else. That was my understanding at least. But it seems that the OS isn't handling it that way and just reboots.

Again, not an expert, so if someone has some insight, that would be great.
    06-08-13 01:54 PM
    QNX should be able to manage the crash of an application. I think that the reboot are due to something that happen at a low level in the OS. Anyway I do not have a direct experience since my Z10 never rebooted.
    Alfredo

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 01:58 PM