I was under the impression that BlackBerry invented Push notifications, so I was sure that my apps would be able to push all my notifications. But every app I download requires that I have the app be open to get notifications. I am wondering, does BB10 not have push notifications or are the developers just being lazy and not implementing that feature into their apps?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:53 AM
    I was under the impression that BlackBerry invented Push notifications, so I was sure that my apps would be able to push all my notifications. But every app I download requires that I have the app be open to get notifications. I am wondering, does BB10 not have push notifications or are the developers just being lazy and not implementing that feature into their apps?

Posted via CB10
    BB10 does get push notifications, I get twitter/fb mentions when they aren't open. 3rd party apps need to implement this.
    07-20-13 08:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 has push notifications, I don't leave anything open. I'd suspect the apps are the problem.
    07-20-13 09:02 AM
    Can somebody then recommend a Todo list in BB10 that uses push notifications for reminders? I have downloaded 5 and none have that feature.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 09:07 AM
    Can somebody then recommend a Todo list in BB10 that uses push notifications for reminders? I have downloaded 5 and none have that feature.

Posted via CB10
    Remember The Milk
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-20-13 09:17 AM
    From what I understand from their pro version is that they don't actually push notifications, but they sens an SMS or email to notify you. Can anybody confirm before I buy the pro version?

Posted via CB10
    HKain7 likes this.
    07-20-13 11:26 AM
    BB10 has push notifications, I don't leave anything open. I'd suspect the apps are the problem.
    No, the apps are still running in background (as services?)..

I am starting to miss push notifications in ios style (near instant push notifications for dozen apps)
    06-01-14 05:26 PM
    No, the apps are still running in background (as services?)..

I am starting to miss push notifications in ios style (near instant push notifications for dozen apps)
    Then something is either amiss or there's an option that needs set in your app(s).
    06-01-14 05:43 PM
    In order for push notifications to exist, at least in the BlackBerry sense of the concept, the event has to be triggered on a remote server. Think email, BBM, etc. That sounds like an awful lot of overhead for a todo list, unless it does something particularly useful with the server like cross-device, cross-platform sync and notifications.

A todo list should be using the PIM system to register a alarm to notify you when a task is due.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 05:54 PM
    From what I've learned, apps need special permissions to push notifications into the Hub, other wise having to fall back to Pull Notifications. What thirdparty apps do is allow itself to run headless so that with the little amount of itself running in the background, it can send you notifications without having to open the app completely.

But I'm not sure if approval from BlackBerry itself is what apps need to be able to be fully pushed and integrated into the Hub.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    06-01-14 10:57 PM
    From what I've learned, apps need special permissions to push notifications into the Hub, other wise having to fall back to Pull Notifications. What thirdparty apps do is allow itself to run headless so that with the little amount of itself running in the background, it can send you notifications without having to open the app completely.

But I'm not sure if approval from BlackBerry itself is what apps need to be able to be fully pushed and integrated into the Hub.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    An application using HUB notification, and push are, on BlackBerry, two separate things. But they can be used together. An application does need to be running to register a notification in the HUB. This may be foreground, or as an active frame. It may also be as a headless application, either long running or short running. A long running application needs to be signed with a special key from BlackBerry. This is also needed for HUB integration which allows an application to place messages in the HUB (in addition to notifications). A short running headless application doesn't need special signing, but can only be run in response to certain triggers. Arrival of push data intended for the application is one of these triggers.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 03:49 AM
    An application using HUB notification, and push are, on BlackBerry, two separate things. But they can be used together. An application does need to be running to register a notification in the HUB. This may be foreground, or as an active frame. It may also be as a headless application, either long running or short running. A long running application needs to be signed with a special key from BlackBerry. This is also needed for HUB integration which allows an application to place messages in the HUB (in addition to notifications). A short running headless application doesn't need special signing, but can only be run in response to certain triggers. Arrival of push data intended for the application is one of these triggers.

Posted via CB10
    Im guessing that twitter and facebook, which are both developed by BlackBerry themselves have their own dedicated push notification server.

I say this because both twitter and facebook dont have the "run in background" entry in permissions therefore I dont think they are "headless apps" long or short running.

Not im not a expert or anything so please correct me if im wrong.

This also should apply to BBM and whatsapp.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-12-14 07:40 PM
    Im guessing that twitter and facebook, which are both developed by BlackBerry themselves have their own dedicated push notification server.

I say this because both twitter and facebook dont have the "run in background" entry in permissions therefore I dont think they are "headless apps" long or short running.

Not im not a expert or anything so please correct me if im wrong.

This also should apply to BBM and whatsapp.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Run in background and headless are two different permissions (well, actually three, but more on that later).

An application can exist in one of several states:
    • Not running -
    • Foreground
    • Active frame - the application is minimized and the applications app cover is visible
    • Background - all visible parts of the application, including the app cover, are hidden. Normally an application in this state would not be given any CPU time, it is stopped. An application with run-in-background permission may continue to run.
    • Headless short running - waiting for a trigger of which push is one.
    • Headless long running

Both Twitter and Facebook predate all of this formality and so may or may not comply with what a third party application is expected to do now. They also integrate with the Hub. If I was to write an application with similar capability I would have to write it as a long running headless application and get special permission signing from BlackBerry.

I could write a short running (or long running) headless application that accepted push data and used the notification API including instant previews. This would all be handled by the headless process. The UI process would be in the not running, foreground, active frame or background state depending on how the user was interacting with it.
    06-13-14 07:54 AM
    Hi all,

How all of you manage this lack of notification from twitter?

There is any app nowadays that could mange it with hub integration?

Blaq give notification of tweets or on DM and mentions?
    02-01-16 03:51 PM