Hi I've been reading around CB for years but this is my first post. Don't know if it's in the right section, but I had a question (that rhymed ) Doesn't toast notifications defeat the purpose of Peak? If we can see and answer our messages from a toast why would you ever use the Peak function I've so come to love!? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get my hands on that buttery toast goodness in 10.2. Just a question.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 04:52 PM
    Hi I've been reading around CB for years but this is my first post. Don't know if it's in the right section, but I had a question (that rhymed ) Doesn't toast notifications defeat the purpose of Peak? If we can see and answer our messages from a toast why would you ever use the Peak function I've so come to love!? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get my hands on that buttery toast goodness in 10.2. Just a question.

Posted via CB10
    I don't mind the feature myself, but this was exactly my thought when I saw it, suprised this hasn't come up before, literally defeats the object of 'peaking' if it drops down regardless.

Personally I would utilise this as I assume you will be able to turn it off? For those who disable it, peak will be much more relevant

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 04:55 PM
    Changed to my old profile. I'm OP. But yeah, I think toast on lock screen will kick serious tale. I'm just thinking how I could balance both on my beautiful Z10. The only reason I could see peak being used after the toast era would be for reference to an old message, or to finally answer if you choose to ignore the message in the first place.

Posted via CB Z10
    07-07-13 05:06 PM
    I'm not into toast because it'll obscure your screen. This os the reason people get on ios and windows phone. Android has the best notification system out there but I have just really settled into understanding and loving peak. I'm on board now so I see the toast popups as a step backward. All I think I want is the addition of a star icon in the header bar when new notifications are present. Not into the toast ones.

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    07-07-13 06:45 PM
    Toast is also transient. Even if you use it, if you miss a toast you will be back to using peak. This is the main reason I won't be using it, one has to be using the device at the time there is a toast for it to do any good, then it is just getting in the way.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 07:06 PM
    People were ******** about the lack of a "toast" like notification. So they decided to add it.

Yes, it defeats the point of the hub a little bit, but it could certainly be worse.

(I get that to reply to a message you can just tap on it and answer, which is great, but I want to see what the behaviour is when it's a regular notification, does it take you to the hub or to the app? This is the big question)

Personally... I like It. I think it's really cool and it's a great motif for the "keep moving" tag line.

But it does make the two systems a tad redundant and that's why it has a toggle to turn it off.

So hurray for options! I want ALL the options!

Posted in the pooper
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-07-13 07:07 PM
    Hurray for options!!! But are saying when you get a toast if you don't answer it'll go away, even on the lock screen?

Posted via CB Z10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    07-07-13 07:27 PM
    I think toast is mostly useful for lock screens as you can't tell if it's a notification, text,email or BBM. I hope there is a function to disable it if the screen is active

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:41 PM
    I think there is from the settings sections if I'm not mistaken.

Posted via CB Z10
    07-07-13 09:25 PM
    Hurray for options!!! But are saying when you get a toast if you don't answer it'll go away, even on the lock screen?

Posted via CB Z10
    Lock screen toasts will probably work differently, but the latest leak we've seen doesn't have them implemented yet, so we don't know for sure.
    07-07-13 09:40 PM
    You can set toast notifications to only show for VIP contacts, so you'll still need to peek to see any messages from non-VIP. It's a combination of both worlds and I like it

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    NinjaB likes this.
    07-07-13 09:46 PM
    No, I don't think it defeats the purpose of the peek function . . if you are on the phone and a toast pops up you can instantly see if you want to deal with it or not, without toast you'd just get the red notif. light and you'd have to do the peek gesture to find out what it is. To me this is perfect, if I'm on my phone I've got instant info without additional gestures, if I'm not looking at the screen when it comes in I've still got the peek/hub . . win/win in my opinion; plus as another poster mentioned you can set the toast to pop-up only for favorite/important persons or accts, thereby ensuring that its not an annoying interruption for a junk email.
    NinjaB likes this.
    07-07-13 09:54 PM
    You will be able to set the kind of notifications you want to come up as toasts and which ones won't.
    E.g. BBM or text. Or a specific contacts.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:58 PM
    I used to have an iphone and the toast that would pop up along the top was great if I was in the middle of doing something else like writing an email or playing a game. I could quickly see who sent the message as well as a preview of what they sent. With the new actionable toasts it'll be easy for me to decide whether I should wait or answer it right away.

The peak is great if you have a few different notifications at the same time. Peak still allows one to Reference old or ignored messages in the hub. I really, really like this new toasts feature so don't discourage BlackBerry from implementing it! As long as it's an option I see no issue for anybody.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:48 PM
    I've customised the LED for dif type of messages (green for whatsapp, blue for fb etc) and toast sounds pretty irrelevant to me. I get such notifications on my I pad and it annoys the he'll out of me sometimes. So I'd prob be turning it off!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:54 PM
    I've customised the LED for dif type of messages (green for whatsapp, blue for fb etc) and toast sounds pretty irrelevant to me. I get such notifications on my I pad and it annoys the he'll out of me sometimes. So I'd prob be turning it off!

Posted via CB10
    True maybe it doesn't affect me because I'm not as popular as all of the rest of you!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:58 PM
    It has been stated that the toast notifications can be disabled. Or you can choose to enable it just for priority contacts. So, as some people were complaining last time, they might sometimes miss an LED when they are doing something else, and hence not know when somebody important has sent a message. This toast notifications can then be implemented for these certain contacts so that such events do not happen again. Toast notifications do not defeat the purpose of peek. I feel it only complements and enhances the whole notification system on BB10. If you like it and hate peek, set it on all the time. If you like it just for certain people, make those people a priority contact and have toast notifications for them. If you hate toasts with a vengeance, disable it totally and continue using peek solely. With options, BB is trying to appease the different groups of people who get things done differently. Also, with the ability to toggle it off or on, people can't really complain as much.
    07-08-13 12:04 AM
    Make it "people can't actually complain" :P

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    pili4 likes this.
    07-08-13 12:13 AM
    I still peek, I don't always respond or pay attention to a toast notification. I also have it turned off for some email accounts. So there still is a need to peek.

It is quite a fancy feature to have and well, as I stated above, I don't always respond to a toast, so peek is still nice.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:22 AM
    People were ******** about the lack of a "toast" like notification. So they decided to add it.

Yes, it defeats the point of the hub a little bit, but it could certainly be worse.

(I get that to reply to a message you can just tap on it and answer, which is great, but I want to see what the behaviour is when it's a regular notification, does it take you to the hub or to the app? This is the big question)

Personally... I like It. I think it's really cool and it's a great motif for the "keep moving" tag line.

But it does make the two systems a tad redundant and that's why it has a toggle to turn it off.

So hurray for options! I want ALL the options!

Posted in the pooper
    if it doesn't have a reply option, ex. Email, you can just click it and it'll take you directly into the email. For something like facebook, it'll take you to the HUB and not the app. Toasts as of right now are dependent on what can be in the HUB as far as I can tell.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:25 AM
    That's great to hear, as that is pretty much what I hoped for.

I am hoping with 10.2 and headless app support, that they will release APIs for headless app/hub integration/toast notification

Assuming they haven't already of course.

Posted in the pooper
    07-08-13 12:37 AM
    To be able to answer without having to open the Hub, close the Hub, reopen the app. Duh.

I just hope they streamline it a bit more in appearance
    07-08-13 01:57 AM
    If we can actually set it only to priority contacts... that will be pretty awesome. I can't wait for 10.2 I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 02:12 AM
    If we can actually set it only to priority contacts... that will be pretty awesome. I can't wait for 10.2 I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simmundson demonstrated it with his 10.2 preview video. You (supposedly) can mark a contact as "Important", so only their messages will have toast notifications. Other not-so-important contacts will have to queue in the Hub :P

Of course, i'd also like apps to be able to set what messages use toast notifications. Then again, I play Megapolis

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-08-13 02:17 AM
    no

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 02:21 AM
30 12