Wow, I am surprised this is such a huge issue, I figured most people migrated long ago to take advantage of cloud based calendars/contacts/email.
    tbkfan likes this.
    02-07-13 10:08 PM
    Good thing I have ActiveSync (which is the Microsoft product, not Intellisync) to sync all of my PIM data.

FWIW - the plain "ActiveSync" is the now-unsupported desktop sync product. The official name for the thing lots of people now call "ActiveSync" is actually "Exchange ActiveSync".
    02-07-13 10:27 PM
    So from what this poster said:

Originally Posted by just_luc:
    Yes it will sync with outlook.com perfectly, wireless and automatically. All you have to do is put your outlook.com email address and password into the z10 when you first turn it on and the rest will be like magic!

Now in order to get all of your contacts and calendars also synced to outlook.com, so they in turn sync to your phone you will need to make sure your outlook 2007 is also connected to outlook.com using active sync (since you have to manually export your contacts it must not be, because that would have happened automatically) In order to do that just follow the steps here How to configure Outlook to connect to an outlook.com email account

and voila.. your outlook 2007, your outlook.com and your z10 will always be in sync for email, contacts and calendars.. no need to sync it manually, not need for the desktop manager software and no need for a usb cable.. if you ad an appointment to your phone calendar it will show up on your computer within minutes.

--------------------------------

This Solution will Not work for those that Don't have BES or Active Sync?

I use the outlook application that MS provides the desktop version I guess. I have a Hotmail account But I wanted an Alias account so I chose Outlook as my Primary email account since Gmail wasn't actually working for me. When I say wasn't working I Mean it was not able to set up with my 9900.
    02-07-13 10:30 PM
    Wow, I am surprised this is such a huge issue, I figured most people migrated long ago to take advantage of cloud based calendars/contacts/email.
    Too many problems with it, or some just don't trust it. Some companies won't allow it.

Personally, I don't want my nearly 300 contacts out in the "cloud" where it could be data mined.
    Droidophobe and ssbtech like this.
    02-07-13 11:28 PM
    Personally, I don't want my nearly 300 contacts out in the "cloud" where it could be data mined.
    The chances are quite high that they were already "in the cloud" somewhere along the line anyway. (Like every time you send an email message. Most people have no idea that SMTP, far more often than not, is just sent "in the clear" out in the "cloud" that is the "internet".)

The key is, you have to use a real, commercial provider that charges money for a service. Why anyone without a hole in their head would actually believe that some stupid freebie service is actually going to be A) reliable, B) well-supported, C) secure --- is beyond me. TANSTAAFL.

LOTS of companies with data security requirements use "the cloud". It's just that it is not "any old cloud". They are paying real money to commercial providers that have SLAs and controls in place (ie SAS70 audits etc) that make it pretty darn unlikely that they are going to send your data off to Nigeria. And because their business model actually entails charging real money for their services, they don't have the same pressure to try to surreptitiously monetize your confidential data because it's not one of the only things that keeps them afloat.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-07-13 11:41 PM
    Why is it a blogger's responsibility to answer on behalf of BlackBerry?? Leave Kevin out of this...yeesh.

As far as this major issue, I don't like it either, but it is the way of the future and I've synced my contacts and calendar to Outlook.com and it works fantastic. I now have a solution that syncs over the air instantly without the need of plugging in a USB cable and running that god awful BB Desktop Manager (may she rest in peace).

Don't be such old farts and just sync your contacts and calendar to the cloud. OR....put on your tinfoil hats and wait until May when CompanionLink should have there solution in place.
    To answer the first Question, since BlackBerry is not answering, just as it did with the playbook, we come to crackberry because:
    1. They are the number one site for BB related issues and have inside knowledge
    2. They have pull to get Thorstein and his buddies to take us seriously

So yes, I would expect Kevin to take this up and come down to us with a clear answer as well, since I do not perceive him as "just a blogger". Crackberry lives out of this. Blackberry also lives out of us. I have already spent well much money over the years on BB and I swore to myself the Playbook would be the last time I would throw away the money blind folded. The playbook is a GREAT device but the PIM came late and in my case is not being in USE as I would want is (it is way reduced in how i can interact using it), since I have no way of local sync with outlook. (I legally cannot take things up to a cloud).

Now I was looking like crazy to getting the Z10, loving it as I love the playbook but if that means I have to get through my 1000+ contacts manually updated (because I cannot get to go on the cloud) it is a BIG no. We have maintained BB afloat with our buys and defending it by use and in forums etc but hey, we are CONSUMERS AND HAVE NEEDS A PHONE SHOULD FULFILL. Sync with outlook locally is a HUGE thing for many faithful BB users and chances are that it is NOT COMING (that is what my playbook experience showed me). To do this to the PB is one thing but to completely change one of the core functions needed by the majority of professional users that have no F500 BES company behind us, that is a totally more serious "other" matter...

So if Blackberry just don't give a dime and if Crackberry does not make their case, they can be certain a lot of people will not look back.

I LOVE the Z10 and was crazy hyped about it until I read about this and now I am double dissapointed but hey, I may be a few hundred Euro "richer" at the end and finally get to dismiss BB from my options.

I hope that Crackberry gets to help out here and that BB gets to re-instate local contacts and calendar local sync some how or there will be PLENTY of unhappy bunnies jumping ship when they most need us.

Sorry but enough is enough.
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 02-08-13 at 07:51 AM.
    kolok likes this.
    02-08-13 06:47 AM
    I heard Thor say "we are listening to you". I believed that to mean he/they RIMM/BlackBerry were listening to crackberry.com & BB users.
    A BB10 buyer can get all contacts from a current device to the Z10. Any carrier will port them to a Z10 from any phone.
    For ME....it's the ability to add a calendar event, new contact, task, etc.... in Outlook and have it sync to my handheld device.
    The inability for the Z10 to sync with MS Outlook, via USB or other means, IMHO is quit monumental.
    I totally understand this device will have issues....bugs. I firmly believe if Outlook contact sync is not made available, BB is done.

EDIT: I actually find it extremely peculiar OL sync wasn't dialed in during development
    Last edited by berryjunkie; 02-08-13 at 08:02 AM.
    02-08-13 07:32 AM
    According to many people here (the aforementioned CB users) only old people and those unwilling to change sync their contacts and calendar via USB.
    That is how BlackBerry ended up in this position. And their silence is deafening. They know about it. They chose to ignore it. Maybe they hope it goes away.
    This is so similar to the PlayBook launch it is scary. And we all know how well the PlayBook sold.
    02-08-13 07:54 AM
    According to many people here (the aforementioned CB users) only old people and those unwilling to change sync their contacts and calendar via USB.
    That is how BlackBerry ended up in this position. And their silence is deafening. They know about it. They chose to ignore it. Maybe they hope it goes away.
    This is so similar to the PlayBook launch it is scary. And we all know how well the PlayBook sold.
    Well, I'm 51 (I don't consider myself old) and used to use USB backup with my berry's.......my droid will back up contacts when I need it to via usb, but everything else is "wireless"....and I love it.
    I truly hope BBRY is listening and corrects these issues. I want my berry back AND.....I bought shares!!!!
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    02-08-13 08:37 AM
    Why is it so hard for people to understand that employers do not allow stuff to move to a cloud?
    I sync my personal device's calendar daily with my work calendar in Outlook. This way when I am on travel or out on the shop floor training folks and a teleconference is coming up that I can't miss, I get the reminder while away from my desk.. I REALLY wanted the Z10 but it is a useless piece of equipment for me if they are not going to fix this and the playbook bridge issues
    02-08-13 10:17 AM
    Right now the fastest way to move contacts from your old device is to use bluetooth.

Connect both devices and use the contact transfer in the bluetooth settings....

Works for an initial transfer... but we still need a solution for offline outlook sync...
    marts1x likes this.
    02-08-13 11:17 AM
    So from what this poster said:
    Thanks calicocat2010. I could use a bit more coaching if you ah=ave a minute.....
    In you post you mention "follow the steps here How to configure Outlook to connect to an outlook.com email account" I'm missing something I think.
    I have the outlook.com account now and I know how to put it into my BB10 but I'm not clear on what I need to do with my MS Outlook. I assume I leave my Rogers email account set up in Outlook and add something for Outlook.com ???. Am I correct in assuming that once everything is setup, the whole Outlook.com will be transparent to the people I send emails to? In other words, I will still use Outlook on my desktop, continue to send from my Rogers account and people will continue to send to me via my Rogers email?

A big thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by just_luc:
    Yes it will sync with outlook.com perfectly, wireless and automatically. All you have to do is put your outlook.com email address and password into the z10 when you first turn it on and the rest will be like magic!

Now in order to get all of your contacts and calendars also synced to outlook.com, so they in turn sync to your phone you will need to make sure your outlook 2007 is also connected to outlook.com using active sync (since you have to manually export your contacts it must not be, because that would have happened automatically) In order to do that just follow the steps here How to configure Outlook to connect to an outlook.com email account

and voila.. your outlook 2007, your outlook.com and your z10 will always be in sync for email, contacts and calendars.. no need to sync it manually, not need for the desktop manager software and no need for a usb cable.. if you ad an appointment to your phone calendar it will show up on your computer within minutes.

--------------------------------

This Solution will Not work for those that Don't have BES or Active Sync?

I use the outlook application that MS provides the desktop version I guess. I have a Hotmail account But I wanted an Alias account so I chose Outlook as my Primary email account since Gmail wasn't actually working for me. When I say wasn't working I Mean it was not able to set up with my 9900.
    02-08-13 11:28 AM
    Helloooo Kevin and the rest of the Crackbeery crew - no response at all? 3 incredibly active threads on this issue for 2 days (plus pointing out external threads on the same issue), and not even an acknowledgement the issue exists?

Then today in Adam's article on Blackberry Link it says "As far as I can tell there are zero options for synching off contacts or calendars to Outlook or anywhere else from BlackBerry Link. This too will (much sooner) prove to be an issue for mass amounts of users." ... "will (much sooner) prove to be an issue?". Come on - give me a break!

How about "is (RIGHT NOW)"? How about at least an acknowledgement we exist?

Good lord - this is as bad as the old auto-deleting of Calendar entries, cr@ppy Desktopm Manager updates, etc. where tons of complaints would result in ... silence ... from RIM. This is old school. Really, really old school. It seems to me that in some areas RIM has changed as a company - and in some areas they're just the same as before. And I don't mean that in a good way.

- R.
    02-08-13 11:36 AM
    Helloooo Kevin and the rest of the Crackbeery crew - no response at all? 3 incredibly active threads on this issue for 2 days (plus pointing out external threads on the same issue), and not even an acknowledgement the issue exists?

Then today in Adam's article on Blackberry Link it says "As far as I can tell there are zero options for synching off contacts or calendars to Outlook or anywhere else from BlackBerry Link. This too will (much sooner) prove to be an issue for mass amounts of users." ... "will (much sooner) prove to be an issue?". Come on - give me a break!

How about "is (RIGHT NOW)"? How about at least an acknowledgement we exist?

Good lord - this is as bad as the old auto-deleting of Calendar entries, cr@ppy Desktopm Manager updates, etc. where tons of complaints would result in ... silence ... from RIM. This is old school. Really, really old school. It seems to me that in some areas RIM has changed as a company - and in some areas they're just the same as before. And I don't mean that in a good way.

- R.
    As you pointed out, there is already 3 huge threads on the matter and if you read through those threads, then you already know there isn't really a solution for those who want to sync with desktop Outlook. Not exactly sure what you would want any of us to do aside from looking into it for you, which we've already been doing. Is it a problem? Obviously it is for a lot of users but it's pretty clear the direction that BlackBerry took with this for now. We're actively looking for solutions for folks but there isn't much to go off of in the way of free and easy solutions. The solutions that are available are costly and most folks understandably don't want to pay for what was once free. If we find out any work arounds, free solutions or even whether or not BlackBerry intends on bringing that function back, we'll let you all know through the blogs.
    02-08-13 12:04 PM
    I'll follow up with BlackBerry and see if they have any plans coming on if / how they are going to address this.

Kinda feels like the world wants everybody to make the leap to the cloud at some point. Get that there's a ton of people who haven't yet and won't anytime soon.

BlackBerry Link - Where's the beef? | CrackBerry.com
    02-08-13 12:08 PM
    Anyone who is relying on free cloud based services has their head in the clouds.

There is no guarantee that these services will be around, will remain secure or will remian free. Look at Google removing EAS support. Heck, look at BlackBerry killing off BIS for BB10.

At the end of the day, it's the users who are left hanging. At least provide them with a desktop sync tool to they have control over their own data.

I'm not an old guy (in my 20s) and I don't trust cloud storage. I'm not "old fashioned" I just don't see a need to change something that works perfectly well for me. I have clients (I do computer work) who are using BlackBerry phones, and to lose Outlook desktop sync would be a nightmare for them.

Suggesting that small businesses constantly modify their practices to accommodate a new phone is ridiculous. A phone should blend in seamlessly. When you're a one man operation you don't want to waste time migrating to free clouds, especially if you're dealing with confidential information.
    02-08-13 12:18 PM
    CrackBerry team, Some thoughts on the Outlook desktop local sync issue;
    I've heard rumors that MS will end Outlook desktop with the 2013 version, maybe why the major smartphone platforms are dropping the local sync to Outlook desktop. As has been posted, a lot of people rely on Outlook desktop to keep their data local and off the questionable email providers servers. Ultimately, I think these people need an email provider that's truly secure and does Exchange Active Sync of some sort, but I don't know who that would be. Luckily, my security needs are minimal, so I can make BB10 work for me.
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 02-08-13 at 02:16 PM.
    02-08-13 12:37 PM
    Anyone who is relying on free cloud based services has their head in the clouds.

There is no guarantee that these services will be around, will remain secure or will remian free. Look at Google removing EAS support. Heck, look at BlackBerry killing off BIS for BB10.

At the end of the day, it's the users who are left hanging. At least provide them with a desktop sync tool to they have control over their own data.

I'm not an old guy (in my 20s) and I don't trust cloud storage. I'm not "old fashioned" I just don't see a need to change something that works perfectly well for me. I have clients (I do computer work) who are using BlackBerry phones, and to lose Outlook desktop sync would be a nightmare for them.

Suggesting that small businesses constantly modify their practices to accommodate a new phone is ridiculous. A phone should blend in seamlessly. When you're a one man operation you don't want to waste time migrating to free clouds, especially if you're dealing with confidential information.
    Well said!
    02-08-13 12:38 PM
    HAs anyone tried to do a manual sync by exporting out of outlook, to .csv, or similar and the importing to bb10 thru Link?

I understand this is not an acceptable solution long term, but can that be used to at least get tasks and calendar started?

I know I have used this trick in the past, when google, orhotmail would hijack and fubar the calendar, or address book on my old bold.
    02-08-13 12:50 PM
    For all we know Link and/or the BB 10 OS is just a software update away from supporting USB syncing with Outlook. Maybe they are working on it now and will be available once the Z10 hits the USA. Its not like we are dealing with the final EOL versions of Link and BB10 OS.
    02-08-13 01:50 PM
    CrackBerry team, Some thoughts on the Outlook desktop local sync issue;
    I've heard rumors that MS is killing Outlook desktop with the 2013 version, maybe why the major smartphone platforms are dropping the local sync to Outlook desktop. As has been posted, a lot of people rely on Outlook desktop to keep their data local and off the questionable email providers servers. Ultimately, I think these people need an email provider that's truly secure and does Exchange Active Sync of some sort, but I don't know who that would be. Luckily, my security needs are minimal, so I can make BB10 work for me.
    I have 2013 and outlook is still there. (just saying) also even if killed today there would be millions of people still running outlook **** i still constantly run into people running office 2000 and 2003 and they complain they cant open my file.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-08-13 02:03 PM
    As you pointed out, there is already 3 huge threads on the matter and if you read through those threads, then you already know there isn't really a solution for those who want to sync with desktop Outlook. Not exactly sure what you would want any of us to do aside from looking into it for you, which we've already been doing. Is it a problem? Obviously it is for a lot of users but it's pretty clear the direction that BlackBerry took with this for now. We're actively looking for solutions for folks but there isn't much to go off of in the way of free and easy solutions. The solutions that are available are costly and most folks understandably don't want to pay for what was once free. If we find out any work arounds, free solutions or even whether or not BlackBerry intends on bringing that function back, we'll let you all know through the blogs.
    Thanks for this, Bla1ze. It's the first acknowledgement we've had that our complaints have been noticed by the Powers That Be, and that plus Crackberry's looking into it is all we can ask. If anyone is speaking to RIM, you might suggest that they should man up and communicate as well. Thor's openness has been refreshing. It would be sad if Blackberry were to slide back into old habits - and alienate a lot of newly-enthused (and loyal) customers as well.

- R.
    02-08-13 02:12 PM
    I'll follow up with BlackBerry and see if they have any plans coming on if / how they are going to address this.

Kinda feels like the world wants everybody to make the leap to the cloud at some point. Get that there's a ton of people who haven't yet and won't anytime soon.

BlackBerry Link - Where's the beef? | CrackBerry.com
    Thanks Kevin - very much appreciated.

- R.
    02-08-13 02:12 PM
    I have 2013 and outlook is still there. (just saying) also even if killed today there would be millions of people still running outlook **** i still constantly run into people running office 2000 and 2003 and they complain they cant open my file.
    Guess I should have wrote that Outlook 2013 will be the last version, I'll edit. Is it true that you don't need the Hotmail/ Outlook connector to sync with your Hotmail/Outlook email on Outlook 2013?
    02-08-13 02:13 PM
    For all we know Link and/or the BB 10 OS is just a software update away from supporting USB syncing with Outlook. Maybe they are working on it now and will be available once the Z10 hits the USA. Its not like we are dealing with the final EOL versions of Link and BB10 OS.
    That would likely be fine. But the silence from Blackberry is deafening. And after Thor turning from the Mike/Jim dark days of old, unacceptable.

- R.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-13 02:14 PM
305 12345 ...