Can someone please explain the benefits of 'device encryption' on BlackBerry 10 devices. I understand how media card encryption works and what it means, but haven't been able to find anything on device encryption.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:05 AM
    Can someone please explain the benefits of 'device encryption' on BlackBerry 10 devices. I understand how media card encryption works and what it means, but haven't been able to find anything on device encryption.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    I didn't enable media card encryption yet there is a special file not visible by File Manager that is named with the word encryption it it.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-04-14 05:00 PM
    Just like on a laptop or other device, encryption protects your files from being accessed if your handset is stolen. With an unencrypted device, someone could plug your device into a computer and have access to all of your files. I've come to think of encryption as a requirement on any device that leaves my house. My laptop, Q10, and PlayBook are all encrypted. If nothing else, it's an added layer of protection for you, especially if you keep any kind of personal documents or photos on your device.

Posted via CB10
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    03-06-14 05:46 AM
    Wondering how long peoples' passwords are. I use a fairly simple four digit password, but I'm thinking I should be using something more complex. But if it gets too complex I'm worried about forgetting it. From what I've read, it sounds like with a BlackBerry you aren't ever getting any data out without that password.
    06-05-14 10:51 PM
    So once you say encrypt the phone data only (not SD card). What will happen when you add another new document to the already encrypted phone memory?

Is it automatically encrypted as well. Or do you have to do the process all over again?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 10:59 PM
    Wondering how long peoples' passwords are. I use a fairly simple four digit password, but I'm thinking I should be using something more complex. But if it gets too complex I'm worried about forgetting it. From what I've read, it sounds like with a BlackBerry you aren't ever getting any data out without that password.
    You should definitely change your password now. You have just posted in a public forum the number of digits in your password. That should make a hackers job a lot easier. Especially when there are only 4 digits. Change it and please don't post how many digits there are again.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-06-14 05:25 AM
    So once you say encrypt the phone data only (not SD card). What will happen when you add another new document to the already encrypted phone memory?

Is it automatically encrypted as well. Or do you have to do the process all over again?

Posted via CB10
    Encryption is at the storage level, not file level. Once your handset and SD card are encrypted, all files you add to them are being saved in an encrypted container so there's no extra steps to take.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 05:57 AM