I haven't seen this discussed yet, but with the new OS, will the new desktop manager released with BB10 still be able to complete the "switch phone" feature in desktop manager, including saved emails, passwords, calendar/contacts, etc... I will be taking my OS6 phone and trying to switch all the info to my new Z10 once its in my hands.

I would assume this will work just fine, but I'm a bit curious with BB10 since it's completely different from all previous OS's, from the ground up. I would expect some converting is going to be necessary in order to match up all the data fields for BB10...??

I have utilized this function for all my new BB purchases (personal BBs that is, BES always handles my work devices), and I love that in 5 minutes or so, my new phone has everything right where my old one did.

Its certainly not a deal breaker, I'm just asking for the sake of asking.....
    12-30-12 11:57 AM
    I really don't see any reason for them to remove this function in the new Desktop Manager. Sure it won't be an entirely straight-forward data transfer, but I'm sure RIM could work it out. However, I guess we won't know for sure until they actually release it.
    12-30-12 12:06 PM
    I wouldn't expect RIM to take it away, although I haven't heard an chatter referencing it. I guess my real question is if it will be as complete a transfer of data with BB10 as it has been in the past, as it relates to switching from pre-BB10 to a BB10 phone.

It would certainly be a little tid bit of info worth knowing as we come closer to getting these long awaited phones in our hands, especially we devoted folks....
    12-30-12 12:44 PM
    These kinds of things are some of those that go without saying, there is 80 million people out there that RIM hopes upgrade to BB10. clearly the will try and make the upgrade process as easy as possible.
    12-30-12 01:06 PM
    These kinds of things are some of those that go without saying, there is 80 million people out there that RIM hopes upgrade to BB10. clearly the will try and make the upgrade process as easy as possible.
    One would expect as much, but I prefer to not assume... besides, how many of those 80 million are relying on DTM as opposed to allowing BES to perform the update....?

With a completely new, from the ground up redesigned OS, one could also certainly expect a loss of some piece of that "switching" process in DTM. I earn a living in a software world, and to be honest, I will be surprised if the switch function is as seamless as some might be expecting for a pre-BB10 to new BB10 phone. BB10 to new BB10 no biggie obviously, but a pre-BB10 to BB-10, I will be surprised if it as seamless as we have become accustomed to with our pre-BB10 devices. Pleasantly so, but none the less surprised.
    12-30-12 01:35 PM
    One would expect as much, but I prefer to not assume... besides, how many of those 80 million are relying on DTM as opposed to allowing BES to perform the update....?

With a completely new, from the ground up redesigned OS, one could also certainly expect a loss of some piece of that "switching" process in DTM. I earn a living in a software world, and to be honest, I will be surprised if the switch function is as seamless as some might be expecting for a pre-BB10 to new BB10 phone. BB10 to new BB10 no biggie obviously, but a pre-BB10 to BB-10, I will be surprised if it as seamless as we have become accustomed to with our pre-BB10 devices. Pleasantly so, but none the less surprised.
    To be clear, I do not make a living in tech nor do I claim to be overly tech savvy but isn't data data? Emails, contacts, texts, and the like, is just data so why wouldn't it be as seamless?
    12-30-12 02:25 PM
    To be clear, I do not make a living in tech nor do I claim to be overly tech savvy but isn't data data? Emails, contacts, texts, and the like, is just data so why wouldn't it be as seamless?
    If when you backed up your BB using DTM, and it was saved in XML or something, then yes. But all previous OS upgrades have been just that; upgrades, using the same building blocks. But updates and modifications to the same building blocks. Like Windows used the building blocks of DOS, and just modified and upgraded from there (to an extent).

BB10 uses a whole new set of building blocks, QNX. So for all that data you pull out of a pre-BB10 device that you want to upload into your new Z10, it will just "look" different. DTM does its backups with a single file (*.IPD), not by pulling contacts, emails and such individually. Not really any reason to think that the "switch" function is any different. So its my expectation that at the very minimum there will be at least one extra step if going from a pre-BB10 device to a Z10 or X10, if nothing else but to just convert a file structure to turn *.IPD into a QNX version of that file. Once on the BB10 platform though, I expect the "switch phones" function through DTM to be the same as they always have been.....
    cjcampbell likes this.
    12-30-12 02:55 PM
    If when you backed up your BB using DTM, and it was saved in XML or something, then yes. But all previous OS upgrades have been just that; upgrades, using the same building blocks. But updates and modifications to the same building blocks. Like Windows used the building blocks of DOS, and just modified and upgraded from there (to an extent).

BB10 uses a whole new set of building blocks, QNX. So for all that data you pull out of a pre-BB10 device that you want to upload into your new Z10, it will just "look" different. DTM does its backups with a single file (*.IPD), not by pulling contacts, emails and such individually. Not really any reason to think that the "switch" function is any different. So its my expectation that at the very minimum there will be at least one extra step if going from a pre-BB10 device to a Z10 or X10, if nothing else but to just convert a file structure to turn *.IPD into a QNX version of that file. Once on the BB10 platform though, I expect the "switch phones" function through DTM to be the same as they always have been.....
    Good answer and thanks. It seems like a task that an updated DTM should be able execute fairly easily, knowing full well, that the majority of people using it right out the gate, will most likely be updating from an OS5, 6, or 7.
    12-30-12 05:13 PM
    Good answer and thanks. It seems like a task that an updated DTM should be able execute fairly easily, knowing full well, that the majority of people using it right out the gate, will most likely be updating from an OS5, 6, or 7.
    There will undoubtedly be a new DTM released with BB10
    12-30-12 05:46 PM
    I had a lot of problems with the cd that came with my Curve 8900 so I have kept clear of DTM and just use BlackBerry Protect to back up my data. Will I be able to use this to transfer all my contacts and passwords etc to my new Z10 when the time comes?
    01-02-13 08:52 AM
    What about password manager?
    01-02-13 10:01 AM
    Passwords transfer over when switching phones using DTM.

Basically everything but apps gets transferred over using DTM, as has been the practice. This is what I wonder about for transferring a pre-BB10 (preQNX) to BB10, if this will be the case....
    01-02-13 11:45 AM