@walt63

My recommendation on the best way to deal with RooZilla and bunch of others is to ignore them. You encourage them by responding to them and GOD they never let up and keep arguing on and on. I have learned, based on who the comment is from, to move on and not even bother reading what they have to say. Some of these folks have a mission in life to save us from ourselvesby teaching us to look beyond BBs (and preferably move on to another platform) because for whatever reason they believe we need saving.

G
    annon91221 and walt63 like this.
    11-02-12 05:37 PM
    my 9900 works fine and so does my iphone 5. I have not had any issues you so readily jumped on as a basis to declare FAIL and therefore rationalize the BB10 delay - "I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex. -Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex. -Oh, yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?" ..... name that movie.
    The Big Chill.

Jeff Goldblum to Glenn Close.

One of my faves.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-03-12 03:23 PM
    If we had an estimate on the number of software engineers currently working on BB10 (core OS, UI, etc) and the hours they were working, I'm sure we could come up with some sort of percentage estimate on failure rate/ errors that will be present in BB10. But its a safe bet that their previous launch target of Q4 was barely missed, so they decided to move the launch a quarter which added substantially more time than they needed... (speculation only)

I remember hearing the announcement from THOR about the final delay to Q1 2013 saying that the engineering teams were off in their time till completion date, im assuming because this is a completely new software and they were in the process of building and integrating the templates they'll be using and tweaking for the next 10 years, they mis calculated, it happens when you're working with new software and components.

My best guess right now is they were on target for the Q4 launch, but as we've heard mentioned before, they werent 100% confident in releasing it to the public (learning from their mistakes) by the time the deadline came up so they pushed it back a quarter, but they didnt really need all the time to finish building and integrating the software pieces, so the majority of this time (# of software engineers x hours) has been spent going over everything they have done with a fine tooth comb fixing and correcting every error in the system. This should prove to be a very clean, stable, and reliable build right out of the box, approaching the 99% complete mark easily, but that last 1% as every programmer knows is always done after release once the customer gets their hands on the product and finds new problems using combinations you couldnt even imagine to cause chaos.

Attachment 124473
    Take this exponential graph as an example, there is a point where its "complete enough" and than you launch, it then takes substantially more time to achieve small gains in the software and debug and fix any issues. This is the natural cycle programming takes, its going to happen, but the extra time RIM has kept BB10 under wraps is definitly going to help the launch code when it finally gets into our hands
    Fantastic insight. I also believe that market conditions contributed to the decision to push back to Q1. We're seeing an avalanche of high-profile introductions this quarter (iPhone 5, WP8, Surface, new Nexus handsets and tablets) and I believe that, combined with the factors you listed, that RIM decided there was more value in pushing back one quarter. Q1 next year, they'll have the field pretty much to themselves and will have a much easier time holding the media's attention.
    11-03-12 04:01 PM
28 12