We all have seen the increase in commercials for blackberry lately. My concern is that they are not hitting home like Samsung commercials etc. I truly hope that they have a marketing team ready to blast the BB10 devices on to tv, and newspapers.. They need to go to the big chains selling playbook, and really push these devices. I still have yet to see a playbook commercial on tv. They should take out ads in the US' major cities newspapers. I love RIM and want them to make it, but i still dont feel they are doing enough marketing... I truly hope they are working on this come launch time... They have to show the world the cascades etc etc, and why its different, and what types of systems QNX powers, and EDUCATE the millions of people that are not on crackberry, and that have not seen the demos.. PLEASE, Market these thing like your life depends on it..
    stevepar, anon2100101 and CDM76 like this.
    04-03-12 10:50 PM
    The whole world knows when an iOS device or software update (like iOS 5.0) is released, even in regions where they're not releasing immediately. That's the kind of media attention they get.

Similarly, RIM needs to make sure that they get this kind of coverage. The whole world needs to know when the first BB10 devices hit. They need to know what's special about it and why it's groundbreaking.

The world needs to know when the strike back begins!
    04-03-12 11:10 PM
    Exactly, i hope they do well...
    04-03-12 11:12 PM
    I think they could stagger the release of BB10 with NA being first. They should wait as long as they need to until BB10 is completely ready cause we know what happened when the released a product without something as simple and to me as trivial as an email client. Marketing right now is really difficult for RIM cause they are also competing against all of the negative media out there. I feel like they aren't rushing any decisions and are going to bring there best effort with BB10.
    04-03-12 11:55 PM
    The whole world knows when an iOS device or software update (like iOS 5.0) is released, even in regions where they're not releasing immediately. That's the kind of media attention they get.

Similarly, RIM needs to make sure that they get this kind of coverage. The whole world needs to know when the first BB10 devices hit. They need to know what's special about it and why it's groundbreaking.

The world needs to know when the strike back begins!
    If it's anything like QNX on the Playbook, pretty much not going to do any better or worse than the 7.1 devices out there right now.

Since you mentioned it, what's groundbreaking about it when compared to iOS, Android and the upcoming WP8 devices?
    04-04-12 12:21 AM
    If it's anything like QNX on the Playbook, pretty much not going to do any better or worse than the 7.1 devices out there right now.

Since you mentioned it, what's groundbreaking about it when compared to iOS, Android and the upcoming WP8 devices?
    Have you used it?

UI and Multi-tasking I would say are groundbreaking in comparison. To me those are to pretty huge things but are only the start of what could be possible. I'm looking forward to BB10.
    04-04-12 12:30 AM
    Have you used it?

UI and Multi-tasking I would say are groundbreaking in comparison. To me those are to pretty huge things but are only the start of what could be possible. I'm looking forward to BB10.
    Like I mentioned, if it's anything like QNX on the Playbook, it won't appeal to a lot of people. I tried the Playbook and it was a horrid experience. It took forever to boot up. It crashed a lot when you used the browser. And most importantly, it had a total utter lack of apps that I needed.

A lot of people passed on it also because of the bridge function, people simply don't want a Blackberry phone. It might have sold better if it could be bridged to an iPhone or Android device for free.

Again, most importantly, if the most used apps in the world today aren't there, at launch, BB10 devices will be as moot as BB7 devices. Stuff like Skype, Netflix and so on.
    phuoc and Davec1234 like this.
    04-04-12 12:38 AM
    Like I mentioned, if it's anything like QNX on the Playbook, it won't appeal to a lot of people. I tried the Playbook and it was a horrid experience. It took forever to boot up. It crashed a lot when you used the browser. And most importantly, it had a total utter lack of apps that I needed.

A lot of people passed on it also because of the bridge function, people simply don't want a Blackberry phone. It might have sold better if it could be bridged to an iPhone or Android device for free.

Again, most importantly, if the most used apps in the world today aren't there, at launch, BB10 devices will be as moot as BB7 devices. Stuff like Skype, Netflix and so on.
    You hit the nail on the head!
    04-04-12 12:51 AM
    The general fault of RIM (in my opinion): to much modesty and to business clients oriented marketing (that means TO factul and selfaware)...
    Smartphones in a similar price category have similar value. The only basis for a buying decision is the individual aspiration of the customer. And this is completely emotional! Of course you will welcome some amenities you prefer, but in the result you decide on an emotional foundation: design, brand, prestige, coolness, personality...
    RIM neglected emotions in a very offence way.
    BB10 must call up emotions!!!!
    Apple does it in a right way- the advertise with specs (of there iPhone) in an emotional way. Nobody cares that apple wasnt the inventor of "cut and paste" (Blackberry was able to do that years before), but they ADVERTISE it as they WOULD BE the inventor of this feature... Blackberry talks in its factual behavior of "unsafe" emailing (nevertheless nothing could be safer a Blackberry!), cause they have a high demand to themselves.
    The average customer notes this: apple is the inventor of "cut and paste" (and no other smartphone could do this) and Blackberrys Messenger is unsave...

RIM should be aggressive in a emotional way. They should put a light to the cool specs of Blackberry AND the cool otherness of using a Berry. It should be no drawback to have a BLACKberry (maybe in white), it should be a public statement of every customer who says "I�m not average, I dont need colored skins, I�m outclass!"
    BlackBerry could be an elitist phone! Wake up emotions!!!!
    04-04-12 01:19 AM
    The general fault of RIM (in my opinion): to much modesty and to business clients oriented marketing (that means TO factul and selfaware)...
    Smartphones in a similar price category have similar value. The only basis for a buying decision is the individual aspiration of the customer. And this is completely emotional! Of course you will welcome some amenities you prefer, but in the result you decide on an emotional foundation: design, brand, prestige, coolness, personality...
    RIM neglected emotions in a very offence way.
    BB10 must call up emotions!!!!
    Apple does it in a right way- the advertise with specs (of there iPhone) in an emotional way. Nobody cares that apple wasnt the inventor of "cut and paste" (Blackberry was able to do that years before), but they ADVERTISE it as they WOULD BE the inventor of this feature... Blackberry talks in its factual behavior of "unsafe" emailing (nevertheless nothing could be safer a Blackberry!), cause they have a high demand to themselves.
    The average customer notes this: apple is the inventor of "cut and paste" (and no other smartphone could do this) and Blackberrys Messenger is unsave...

RIM should be aggressive in a emotional way. They should put a light to the cool specs of Blackberry AND the cool otherness of using a Berry. It should be no drawback to have a BLACKberry (maybe in white), it should be a public statement of every customer who says "I�m not average, I dont need colored skins, I�m outclass!"
    BlackBerry could be an elitist phone! Wake up emotions!!!!
    Cool specs? As long as it can run certain apps without lagging, specs are meaningless. Get the missing apps and bugs sorted out first. Coolness of using a Blackberry? Using it for what exactly? When people use their smartphones, they're talking in use of apps, games, sharing through certain social media. None of which are available on a Blackberry.

And forget about selling it as an elitist phone. People want apps, videoconferencing, games, all the best ones. That will sell.

I know one single person who has a Blackberry today. He just got it but I'll bet before his 2 weeks are up it will be replaced with an iPhone or Android phone. What's he going to do when he gets hit with Angry Birds, Facetime, Google Talk with video, Skype, Words with Friends during breaks?
    04-04-12 01:57 AM

Uh,

Then why are you here? You seemed to hit all the negative talking about about the PB, good work. Why not move on?

You may believe it won't appeal to a lot of people, but I see it as extremely appealing to a lot of people. After using it there is no other tablet I would want to own or even pay money for.

I've been thinking about how unimportant netflix and skype on a phone. If you look at netflix usage they don't even rank iOS(nielsen study), that shows you how unimportant it is. As for skype, theres other options and I'm sure the samething regarding netflix applys here, since most people don't use skype on their phone calls, they make calls using their carrier. Add to that the user base for those softwars are largely based in NA>
    04-04-12 02:20 AM
    Uh,

Then why are you here? You seemed to hit all the negative talking about about the PB, good work. Why not move on?

You may believe it won't appeal to a lot of people, but I see it as extremely appealing to a lot of people. After using it there is no other tablet I would want to own or even pay money for.

I've been thinking about how unimportant netflix and skype on a phone. If you look at netflix usage they don't even rank iOS(nielsen study), that shows you how unimportant it is. As for skype, theres other options and I'm sure the samething regarding netflix applys here, since most people don't use skype on their phone calls, they make calls using their carrier. Add to that the user base for those softwars are largely based in NA>
    Thank you for this perfect opportunity to educate you on why BB is in trouble. It's mainly because they employ people with your points of view, no offense.

Let's start with Netflix. I have no idea about usage for that one but I can guarantee you people who use it a lot on iPhones and Android devices won't switch unless that's included. Period.

Let's see, I have 450 minutes shared between 4 lines. We use about 3 minutes of that every month. Why? Because we all have the Skype app installed and pay an extra $3.99 a month for UNLIMITED U.S. and Canada calling. I pay about $14 though. Why? Because it's UNLIMITED world calling and my family lives overseas. Can I borrow your Blackberry and call them? I'll only use about 40 minutes of international calling per day, RIM has a special cheap discount for that right? No? And user base of it is largely located in North America? Where is RIM especially in trouble? Oh, North America, what a coincidence.

RIM needs to realize their established userbase and fanbase is living in the past. 5 years in the past give or take.

And why am I here? Did it occur to you I might want a phone exactly like the one I currently own, only with a Blackberry keyboard and still retaining all the apps and functions my Nexus has?
    Last edited by neller; 04-04-12 at 02:33 AM.
    04-04-12 02:30 AM
    Cool specs? As long as it can run certain apps without lagging, specs are meaningless. Get the missing apps and bugs sorted out first. Coolness of using a Blackberry? Using it for what exactly? When people use their smartphones, they're talking in use of apps, games, sharing through certain social media. None of which are available on a Blackberry.

And forget about selling it as an elitist phone. People want apps, videoconferencing, games, all the best ones. That will sell.

I know one single person who has a Blackberry today. He just got it but I'll bet before his 2 weeks are up it will be replaced with an iPhone or Android phone. What's he going to do when he gets hit with Angry Birds, Facetime, Google Talk with video, Skype, Words with Friends during breaks?
    cool specs? Tell me ONE manufacturer which ist able to handle and seperate BIS and BES policies for COMPLETE use of the device???? Blackberry Balance! Tell me one other manufacturer with an own Messenger and/or similar save and compressed email-traffic. And I dont talk about BES encryption! Reception quality (without taking care for the antenna > iPhone)? Rendition of voice? These (and some other) are specs I�m interested in... I dont care, if facebook or other social networks pop up so fast, that my dialog partner at the other side of the breakfast table could accept my unkindliness... :-)
    Blackberry is still backwardly in obvious parts of smartphonebuilding, but they are leading in the invisible domain of security... If you want a toy, buy a toy. Google and Apple note thankful your habits... My opinion...
    04-04-12 04:03 AM
    cool specs? Tell me ONE manufacturer which ist able to handle and seperate BIS and BES policies for COMPLETE use of the device???? Blackberry Balance! Tell me one other manufacturer with an own Messenger and/or similar save and compressed email-traffic. And I dont talk about BES encryption! Reception quality (without taking care for the antenna > iPhone)? Rendition of voice? These (and some other) are specs I�m interested in... I dont care, if facebook or other social networks pop up so fast, that my dialog partner at the other side of the breakfast table could accept my unkindliness... :-)
    Blackberry is still backwardly in obvious parts of smartphonebuilding, but they are leading in the invisible domain of security... If you want a toy, buy a toy. Google and Apple note thankful your habits... My opinion...
    Not that I find BBM or the likes very useful, especially since I only know one single person who owns a Blackberry but all that other weird stuff you listed, what does that have to do with getting more sales? I am all for security but the market of today could mostly care less.

The difference between you and I is the fact I know what people want. I know what will sell phones. The fact that you bought into the whole tool not a toy thing shows you're entirely on the wrong track.

How would you be more productive with a Blackberry over an iPhone or Android phone actually? I'm not entirely blind to where you're coming from though, if I could get a Blackberry with a keyboard, with the same apps I currently have on my Nexus, with the same tools such as NFC, I would probably consider a switch.

But I'm pretty certain that's not going to happen with RIM. Not now. Not with BB10.
    04-04-12 04:52 AM
    Have you used it?

That isnt sufficient. WebOS had all that long before the PB on phones themselves. Did not help them one bit.

Of course RIM has other advantages that mean they don't need to repeat the WebOS story, but the points you mention are not enough by themselves.
    notfanboy likes this.
    04-04-12 04:58 AM
    Apple does it in a right way- the advertise with specs (of there iPhone) in an emotional way....l.
    Apple does advertise the right way, but your analysis of their advertising is way off. They have had a few broad ad campaigns. These include:
    1) When the. iPhone was first released, all their ads did was showed how it actually worked. This made great sense at the time since no one had used a similar touch based device before, where the software was completely geared for use by fingers and multi touch.
    2) Once they released the App Store, they advertised the apps on the iPhone.
    3) They then had a campaign which showed how the iPhone and all the apps on it could be used to achieve certain projects (e.g. planning an entire vacation)
    4) Now they are focused largely on Siri, which once again makes sense since the personal assistant concept on iOS is currently unmatched on other phones.

The major point, however, is that almost all their advertising does little more than show how the product is used. They are more educational than selling focused. The reason this works is because the product sells itself. RIM needs BB10 to be similar, where it sells itself and advertise what people can do with it.

The "tools not toys" campaign had a similar idea in mind, but was poorly executed.

1) the tag line put off consumers (much like Apple's terrible "if you don't have an iPhone" tag line which probably cost them more sales than it won)
    2) The use cases they showed were not unique to BB and could easily be achieved by other phones. They did not focus on the BB's strengths.
    3) They rarely ever showed the phones, choosing to have actors tell us how they used it (it doesn't matter whether the people were actors or real people, but by virtue of being in an ad, they have as much credibility as actors would).
    04-04-12 05:13 AM
    ^^^ exactly... a case in point - sex sells - (you don't need to say why )
    04-04-12 08:31 AM

I don't know what's groundbreaking about it. Actually, not much to be groundbreaking about BB10, but RIM needs to make it seem that it is. That's what Apple did. They took common, basic features, put them on iOS, and made it look like the greatest thing since sliced bread. I want RIM to do the same. Make a big deal out of something that really isn't and make people think you have something magical.

When you look at the first iPhone, there was nothing specifically special about it either. What it did was simplify the smartphone experience, nothing more. But as it grew and developed, people wanted it. BB10 needs to do much the same.
    04-07-12 05:35 PM
    I really don't see the majority of people thinking Security as a strong point for RIM. Case in Point... My brother. He doesn't care that google has changed their privacy policies to record EVERYTHING you do on any of their sites and phones. He also doesn't care that they said they would release any internet data through their servers through official authorities if they are asked to. Such as Cops and things. These things frighten me but I feel that my brother's thoughts are the vast majority in the US. They dont care about their privacy at all... They care about their FaceBook and Reality TV. This is why the USA is in the position it's in right now. Complete Apathy... and it is what is allowing the Government to take control of everything.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-07-12 07:13 PM

I took off my rabid fanboi hat for a minute and considered this post, and I guess I can understand how you arrived at this point of view (though bear in mind that your criticisms of the Playbook as a device are largely addressed in OS2.0)

As for major apps... We're still kind of stuck there, because it's a numbers game. There's tens of millions of iOS and Android devices out there, and maybe 1.5 million Playbooks at this point. It's still a marginal platform, no matter what technical advantages it has, and that's the reality we need to face.

And marketing in general is going to be a sore point for a while. Does RIM promote BBOS devices now, and divert resources and attention from a BB10 launch? Or do they lay low now in the hopes of generating bigger hype for the new platform?
    04-07-12 08:01 PM
    I really don't see the majority of people thinking Security as a strong point for RIM. Case in Point... My brother. He doesn't care that google has changed their privacy policies to record EVERYTHING you do on any of their sites and phones. He also doesn't care that they said they would release any internet data through their servers through official authorities if they are asked to. Such as Cops and things. These things frighten me but I feel that my brother's thoughts are the vast majority in the US. They dont care about their privacy at all... They care about their FaceBook and Reality TV. This is why the USA is in the position it's in right now. Complete Apathy... and it is what is allowing the Government to take control of everything.
    As would any NA corporation. Google isn't different in that regard.

Also, Google's policies didn't really change; they have always recorded your actions. They just streamlined the TOSes from the numerous holdings.
    04-07-12 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD