I assume that OS10 has this feature, but I may be looking for it in the wrong place.
    I want to be able to restrict some apps so that they will only use data when connected to wi-fi. I have found the data management tool that will tell me how much data apps are using, but that's really not helpful at all. Or it's only partially helpful. It tells me why my new BB phone is gobbling up my data plan, but doesn't help me manage it.
    10-10-14 07:33 AM
    No, not there. Good idea though.
    10-10-14 07:47 AM
    Wow. That's a pretty glaring shortcoming of the OS. Kind of like being able to identify how someone hacked a system, but not doing anything about it after you know.
    10-10-14 08:28 AM
    Exists on my passport

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 09:43 AM
    Wow. That's a pretty glaring shortcoming of the OS. Kind of like being able to identify how someone hacked a system, but not doing anything about it after you know.
    I was not aware other platforms had this natevely built in the OS.

Please list the ones that do. Honest. Please do.

Exists on my passport

Posted via CB10
    Teach us how to find that then, I can't seem to find it on leaked 10.3.1.
    10-10-14 09:45 AM
    I do want this too. Windows phones have it baked into the OS.

From a Z30
    10-10-14 10:27 AM

iOS 8 has this feature.

Not sure what other platforms have this.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-10-14 10:40 AM
    I haven't checked out WP8, but WP7 has something similar, which disables an app's ability to run in the background. Also, you can disable push notifications from apps.

iOS 8 has this feature.

Not sure what other platforms have this.
    10-10-14 11:11 AM

Ios & bbos for sure.

On bb10, there is no way to know if an app needs Internet access. The permission doesn't prompt, all apps are given blanket access to the Internet as long as they are open.

So, if you have a photo editor, contact back up (or another similar offline app) There is no way to stop an app from connecting to the net or yo know for sure that your information isn't being stolen.

Stealing info from you is as easy as creating an app and giving it a permission like shared files or contacts. It already has Internet access.

I've been @ BlackBerry necks since I noticed this on the PlayBook - android apps would prompt fir Internet, but pb apps didn't.
    On bb10 it was the same. As of 10.2.1, android apps don't prompt anymore either. (though, you couldn't change the android permission, at least it told you that the app was trying to connect to the net)
    diegonei likes this.
    10-10-14 11:23 AM
    I'm using a Passport. Please tell me how you do it. All I can find it reports of which apps use the most data. Also, you can turn off the data usage entirely, but I can't find where I can do it on a specific app.

Exists on my passport

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 11:27 AM
    I'm using a Passport. Please tell me how you do it. All I can find it reports of which apps use the most data. Also, you can turn off the data usage entirely, but I can't find where I can do it on a specific app.
    He lies. It doesn't lolz
    10-10-14 11:30 AM
    SYSTEM SETTINGS
    DATA MANAGEMENT
    DATA USAGE SETTINGS

Also can be found under App Manager/Device Manager/ Triple Dot to Date Usage

Not sure how it technically works but the feature is there. I am using it fine.
    10-10-14 11:34 AM
    SYSTEM SETTINGS
    DATA MANAGEMENT
    DATA USAGE SETTINGS

Op wants a solution to stop apps from connecting to mobile network (restrict apps individually)

I guess you didn't read the op

As I said above, it can't be done on bb10 and I personally believe any developer could take advantage of that security hole (bb10 doesn't have the ability to restrict apps Internet access individually AT ALL. Never mind for mobile network vs wifi, which is what op is looking for.)
    10-10-14 11:36 AM
    I'm sorry. You misunderstood the question then.
    What you're taking about is tracking data usage and being notified if you are going to go over. What I'm talking about is limiting some apps so that they will only run if there's a wi-fi connection. That way they won't use any data at all. Ever.
    The only current option is to turn off data services entirely.

SYSTEM SETTINGS
    DATA MANAGEMENT
    DATA USAGE SETTINGS

10-10-14 11:41 AM
    I assume that OS10 has this feature, but I may be looking for it in the wrong place.
    I want to be able to restrict some apps so that they will only use data when connected to wi-fi. I have found the data management tool that will tell me how much data apps are using, but that's really not helpful at all. Or it's only partially helpful. It tells me why my new BB phone is gobbling up my data plan, but doesn't help me manage it.
    Head to Blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com and search for existing idea of such content, thumps up and comment that you support the idea or create a new one if not existing.

They really do listen to ideas there!

Check out my photography channel
    10-10-14 11:43 AM
    Yes.. I read OP statement incorrectly. I am sure if we ask Blackberry as you mention they will consider it. I am going to do just that. I have seen many of these suggestions implemented on recent updates.

Head to Blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com and search for existing idea of such content, thumps up and comment that you support the idea or create a new one if not existing.

They really do listen to ideas there!

Check out my photography channel
    10-10-14 12:26 PM
    Yes.. I read OP statement incorrectly. I am sure if we ask Blackberry as you mention they will consider it. I am going to do just that. I have seen many of these suggestions implemented on recent updates.
    Give it a go. I've spoken with people at BlackBerry numerous times and they ALWAYS ignore/ give no comment that specific part of the conversation.

They usually actually delete that section of my email before responding.
    The fact that they further hid the internet permission on 10.2.1+ leads me to believe there is some reason they won't acknowledge the shortcoming/vulnerability.

Hopefully they'll stop acting funny about the subject if more people bring it to them.

The permissions/firewall on bbos was finely tuned. The default setting was either allow or deny, but you could change the setting to prompt. In doing so, you could literally monitor/prompt every connection attempt an application makes and add exceptions and rules to where(whatwebsites) and how(wifi&mobile network) the application can connect to the net.
    10-10-14 12:46 PM
    It is dependent on the application. Some apps that are data intensive (like Box) have a setting that says Use Cellular Network. But a lot of apps will not function at all and the time that that are on WiFi are minimal. The question is if BB10 is connected to WiFi and Cellular, does it default all internet data to WiFi by default. If that is the case, then you have your answer.

As a software developer writing BB10 apps, I have options like Box's so communication can be limited to WiFi only. If you have a couple of apps, contact the developer to ask for that feature. It isn't hard to implement on the developers side.
    10-10-14 01:10 PM
    It is dependent on the application. Some apps that are data intensive (like Box) have a setting that says Use Cellular Network. But a lot of apps will not function at all and the time that that are on WiFi are minimal. The question is if BB10 is connected to WiFi and Cellular, does it default all internet data to WiFi by default. If that is the case, then you have your answer.

As a software developer writing BB10 apps, I have options like Box's so communication can be limited to WiFi only. If you have a couple of apps, contact the developer to ask for that feature. It isn't hard to implement on the developers side.
    Not to start a fight, but why should we trust your toggle? you're a developer right? isn't it ridiculously east for you to, for example, build an "offline" "photo gallery" app? One that "just indexes your media and shoes thumbnails for images".
    Couldn't you add an update to said application that allows you to upload pictures to Picasa, for example, turning said "offline" application into an "online" application without any additional permissions given by the user.

Take it one step further. What if you were a malicious dev? Couldn't you add the Picasa feature without adding it to the ui and have the app automatically upload everyone's pictures to YOUR picasa?

In a nutshell:
    The option to use mobile network in box.. should not be in box.

It should be in the system application permissions as "mobile data" and "wifi" separately. Applications that need to access the internet should ASK FOR PERMISSION, and I should be able to tell it whether it can connect to the mobile network, wifi, both or neither - at the os level.
    10-10-14 01:56 PM
    You'd think that AT&T would have picked up on this, and would be really pushing to sell the Passport. Aside from just turning off data services, I haven't had any recourse. My data usage exploded when I first got the phone, and it impacted 2 AT&T billing periods.
    10-14-14 09:42 AM