Rogers ia currently offering a promotion of "one year free of unlimited bbm video"

REALLY wondering how they can offer this if there is no more tiered data plans????
    02-05-13 10:27 PM
    Yes BBM still goes through the Blackberry infrastructure, but browsing, mail & yes even BBM no longer has compression.
    Thankfully that is true, no more slow browsing, truncated emails and carriers not pushing BB in North America because it costs them more to provide a BB than an iPhone or Android. The compression days are over, most bandwidth consists of pictures and videos, not email or web page html. It was time, wireless data pipes are big enough now so that faster browsing and email is more important than smaller.
    02-05-13 11:34 PM
    Just wondering if you guys think we will still see a lot of the data compression we see now on devices on the newer bb10 devices.

With carriers buckling down on data consumption and a phone that can do what a bb10 phone can there's almost no way to go over 3GB.

I am at 663mb with 2 days left in my billing cycle. I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week. I bet if you did that on any other phone it would be way over the limit already.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

personally I'm not sure data was ever the big deal the carriers used to make it seem. In the UK it all used to be unlimited, then a few years back they started caps of 500mb etc. Now they are throwing data around again (I got 2gb when switching to the Z10). I appreciate the technical limitations of any cell-based communications device but really think the carriers make it out to be more of an issue than it is (same with broadband providers.. one of the biggest in the UK is fully uncapped, unrestricted even at peak hours - Sky).
    02-06-13 05:10 AM
    Point: No more BIS for BlackBerry 10. Confirmed by BlackBerry South Africa during the Launch Event.
    Meaning: No more compression, no more Unlimited for most countries and higher costs for some countries specially the Middle East.
    02-06-13 05:24 AM
    I think compression is mainly an issue for web browsing. As others have mentioned, media tend to be highly compressed already. But web page source code is quite compressable, and many web pages are larger than you'd guess by what appears on screen. This is one reason why it's often preferable to use an app for things that can also be done through a web site. The Opera Mobile browser does compression, by feeding the pages through its server, in a BIS-like way. In Android, it's possible to set Opera as the default browser, so that it is invoked by links anywhere in the phone. I don't think we can expect this in BB10.
    02-06-13 07:28 AM
    Did you NOT READ M.Rizk's explanation of HOW BIS WORKS? Typical intentional ignorance by BB fanboys. Just because something goes through the NOC doesn't mean it's compressed.

M.Rizk:
    "Panadora or any other streaming services is not compressed by a single KB! You guys won't feel that at the US and Canada, because your carriers usually give you like 1 GB to be used in any device not just BlackBerry and adds like a 10$ access fee to the NOC. But in the Middle East BlackBerries got a special separate plans which includes no Streaming just PURE USAGE OVER BlackBerry.net APN which compresses only Webpages, downloads, Youtube videos on PlayBook only.

----------------
    Summary:
    What RIM can compress:
    Everything running through BlackBerry.net APN as:
    Web pages
    HTML5
    Downloads
    Pictures
    Youtube running on the PlayBook
    Emails & Attachments

What RIM can't compress:
    Everything that requires WAP2 Transport using Generic APN (as here gprs.qtel APN for Qatar Qtel):
    Youtube over BlackBerry Smartphones
    Panadora, other radios
    RTSP:// protocol
    VoIP
    Data through Mobile Hotspot

So Yes, the statement posted by the OP is incorrect, having BlackBerry is not what makes Pandora streams for less data unless the app has a feature to stream lower quality music which will be something from Pandora end not RIM's. I wish we see the compression available on BB10 devices as carriers here in the Middle East still respect us as BlackBerry users by Unlimited BlackBerry.net transport Data while other devices as iPhones and Androids never get Unlimited Data."
    My Phone has a bigger D$#K than your phone.... (Dock you perverts). I predict this type of argument will go on for thousands of years... "My cranial telepathic communication entertainment self gratifying device has more bandwidth and stuff than yours..."
    02-06-13 08:38 AM
    My Phone has a bigger D$#K than your phone.... (Dock you perverts). I predict this type of argument will go on for thousands of years... "My cranial telepathic communication entertainment self gratifying device has more bandwidth and stuff than yours..."
    Why did you bring up this old post? We are not even discussing how BIS works. We are discussing WHY RIM REMOVED IT OF BB10!
    saint613 likes this.
    02-06-13 08:45 AM
    I think compression is mainly an issue for web browsing. As others have mentioned, media tend to be highly compressed already. But web page source code is quite compressable, and many web pages are larger than you'd guess by what appears on screen. This is one reason why it's often preferable to use an app for things that can also be done through a web site. The Opera Mobile browser does compression, by feeding the pages through its server, in a BIS-like way. In Android, it's possible to set Opera as the default browser, so that it is invoked by links anywhere in the phone. I don't think we can expect this in BB10.
    I know Opera, yes it compresses everything. But I don't think BlackBerry will ever allow us to change the default browser.
    02-06-13 08:48 AM
    Point: No more BIS for BlackBerry 10. Confirmed by BlackBerry South Africa during the Launch Event.
    Meaning: No more compression, no more Unlimited for most countries and higher costs for some countries specially the Middle East.
    Actually I don't think that's true, I still see the BlackBerry symbol beside the signal indicator and if for whatever reason it's not there I cannot browse or use BBM.

From what I can see it all still connects trough the NOC.
    mooiben likes this.
    02-06-13 09:42 AM
    Actually I don't think that's true, I still see the BlackBerry symbol beside the signal indicator and if for whatever reason it's not there I cannot browse or use BBM.

From what I can see it all still connects trough the NOC.
    The BlackBerry Logo just means you are connected to the NOC for the BlackBerry related services as the BBM. But in reality you cannot use a BIS* plan on a BlackBerry 10.

* In case the BIS plan allows streaming Youtube or WAP Usage there is a huge chance it will work based on the WAP Usage but won't connect to the NOC for everything as BB OS but BBM.
    02-06-13 10:06 AM
    Telus, has a cool feture that lets you check your usage.

My avg MB on my old 9810 was 5mb a day.
    First day with the Z10 and not doing as much as I usually would in a day due to not having the phone fully set up ETC.
    56mb....OMG to the max. Is this a sign of things to come.

Monthly avg has been 100-150mb, now I'm looking at 3000mb.????
    02-06-13 10:11 AM
    The BlackBerry Logo just means you are connected to the NOC for the BlackBerry related services as the BBM. But in reality you cannot use a BIS* plan on a BlackBerry 10.

* In case the BIS plan allows streaming Youtube or WAP Usage there is a huge chance it will work based on the WAP Usage but won't connect to the NOC for everything as BB OS but BBM.

That's what I through but why is my browser not working unless the BlackBerry symbol is beside the signal indicator, just like BBOS?
    02-06-13 10:32 AM
    That's what I through but why is my browser not working unless the BlackBerry symbol is beside the signal indicator, just like BBOS?
    Ok, that's awkward. Blame #BlackBerry at the South Africa launch event. Personally I wish BIS can work on BB10. In Egypt carriers only provide Unlimited access to the BIS Plans nothing else. That means with a BB10 so far I will be losing the Unlimited access and paying much more :/
    02-06-13 10:49 AM
    it's actually useful that web pages don't load through RIM servers any longer - that used to stop us enjoying certain BBC websites that only show news videos etc to UK ip connections!
    02-06-13 11:47 AM
    I could very well be mistaken but don't most web servers offer compression of the http data to clients that support it (libgzip)?
    02-06-13 11:53 AM
    Youtube running on the PlayBook
    This is not true, no way can RIM compress a Youtube video anymore than Google has, it may choose a mobile version, but it will do the same thing on your phone.

I could very well be mistaken but don't most web servers offer compression of the http data to clients that support it (libgzip)?
    Yes, you are correct, most web servers compress even just text html, it's built in, no need for the NOC now days unless you get 1000 emails a day then it might make a small difference.

What you do lose with BB10 as noted many times before is the provisioning of plans that ONLY include free Facebook, BBM, Twitter etc., but still charged for data outside of certain apps, since it's not going through the NOC they can't do that anymore. The networks of the world are changing fast, they will catch up and provide low cost plans, until then 3rd world countries will have to survive on BB Bold 9900's and Torch/Curves on OS 7, not a bad thing as most BB users have been happy with these devices (and I still am, I'm in no rush to move from my BB9900 right now, it works great for my needs).
    02-06-13 10:29 PM
    Will we be able to view proper HTML emails on the BB10 devices?
    Holy necromancy, Batman!!!! How in the world did you find a year old thread?!?1?
    02-07-13 07:51 PM
    I have used 120mb so far in three days.

Normally on legacy OS I used about 700mb in a month.
    02-07-13 10:02 PM
    I have used 120mb so far in three days.

Normally on legacy OS I used about 700mb in a month.
    Not surprising. BIS compression in BB7 was approx 10X for email, 2.4X for webpages and 12X for BBM vs. BB10. If you're a heavy email & BBM user, the data consumption difference will be substantial.
    02-07-13 10:33 PM
    They have GOT to do something. Give those of us who are willing to pay extra the ability to still have compression. I would definitely pay an extra amount, quite willingly.
    jelp2 likes this.
    02-08-13 03:06 AM
    They have GOT to do something. Give those of us who are willing to pay extra the ability to still have compression. I would definitely pay an extra amount, quite willingly.
    Data compression for email was fantastic. It was a rare day that I received and sent an email over 2KB (compressed) when in reality the content (text) was closer to 2MB. I had a devil of a time trying to come close to my data cap unless I streamed music via the Slacker Radio application on my previous BlackBerry. Today, I switched my voice, text, and Internet (data) plan from 250 anytime minutes, call display, visual voicemail, unlimited text messages (SMS and MMS), and 1GB BES to (cough) unlimited minutes nation-wide, call display, visual voicemail, unlimited text messages (SMS and MMS), and 5GB data for my BlackBerry Z10. Plus I was able to eliminate the monthly fee for a MiFi device since the Z10 can act as a hotspot. In the end I saved approximately fifty dollars from the cost of my prior plans and boosted my data cap by 3.5GB.
    02-08-13 03:23 AM
    Data compression for email was fantastic. It was a rare day that I received and sent an email over 2KB (compressed) when in reality the content (text) was closer to 2MB. I had a devil of a time trying to come close to my data cap unless I streamed music via the Slacker Radio application on my previous BlackBerry. Today, I switched my voice, text, and Internet (data) plan from 250 anytime minutes, call display, visual voicemail, unlimited text messages (SMS and MMS), and 1GB BES to (cough) unlimited minutes nation-wide, call display, visual voicemail, unlimited text messages (SMS and MMS), and 5GB data for my BlackBerry Z10. Plus I was able to eliminate the monthly fee for a MiFi device since the Z10 can act as a hotspot. In the end I saved approximately fifty dollars from the cost of my prior plans and boosted my data cap by 3.5GB.
    I moved my four lines over to a data sharing plan for 10G.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-08-13 08:11 AM
    What kind of text email were you dealing with? 1000:1 compression ratio is pretty hard to believe with almost anything except perhaps automatically generated log files (even then it's not easy to believe). English language text doesn't compress nearly that well that I have seen.
    02-09-13 06:28 AM
    I thought it was just bbm now that was compressed and that everything else wasn't - I was under the impression that email was also no longer compressed too.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 07:05 AM
    Please understand. Compression is gone. Data will be the same as Android & iOS. There is no longer compression for email, browsing or BBM. BBM will continue to go through Blackberry's NOC, but compression is gone. As stated earlier, historical compression (on average) was 10 X for email, 2.4 X for web browsing and 12 X for BBM.
    02-09-13 10:29 AM
155 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD