I'm having trouble finding another company that they purchased that specialize in hd content optimization for streaming etc. It another company from the Ontario region, anyone know what I'm talking about?

It is a good topic minus the trolling on both sides.

Hit up wikipedia and there's an acquisition section. There's a few video editing companies and other smaller ones it may be there.

Here's the link
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_in_motion

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-11-12 04:32 PM
    After looking around for a little bit I still didn't see anything for that.
    03-12-12 12:46 PM
    What this post needs is a link to a RIM white paper on what the BIS services provide and what they compress. All I have seen are opinions which are nice, but aren't necessarily true. I want to see how the engineers designed it.

Kudos to the OP for broaching the topic and spawning discussion. I am banking on RIM maintaining their quality service while updating the user experience.

Edit: I just saw what VerryBester posted and that was a relief. I like to see the full story from the company's literature in most cases. The flaming was really naive and childish on the public forum.
    Last edited by wiggy11; 03-12-12 at 10:56 PM.
    03-12-12 10:48 PM
    What this post needs is a link to a RIM white paper on what the BIS services provide and what they compress. All I have seen are opinions which are nice, but aren't necessarily true. I want to see how the engineers designed it.

Kudos to the OP for broaching the topic and spawning discussion. I am banking on RIM maintaining their quality service while updating the user experience.

Edit: I just saw what VerryBester posted and that was a relief. I like to see the full story from the company's literature in most cases. The flaming was really naive and childish on the public forum.

I agree the flaming is and was childish and thank you for your kudos on me starting this topic. I try not to flame but when people post no facts about what they're so strongly arguing about except posts from another member and then repeatedly call you ignorant and blind to reality its hard to keep your cool.

I for one apologize if I have angered anyone with my test runs of my experiences with pandora radio and from what I believe is data compression.

Yes bester posted a very helpful link and I hope this thread can continue to be helpful rather than a drag to read personal attacks on others. I think its really smart of rim to purchase the (from what I can see) largest provider in compression and. Speed increases to allow them the upper hand in the throttling war carriers have.

I think we have come upon a space now where we no longer are offered data and now instead of complaining about it we need to find a way to manage it better to work for us. Hopefully this will be a turning point for carriers and customers.

If rim has their ducks in a row and launch this bb10 with the slipstream support and they market it as 3X the usage with only using 1/2 the data of a normal smartphone I think that will bring in a lot of skeptic people that are afraid to touch their phones away from wifi because they are afraid of going over their normal limit of 2GB or 3GB.

03-12-12 11:14 PM
    Apologize for the incorrect statement I may have said regarding Pandora, because I live in a country where Pandora is not supported, I thought it just uses normal streaming. While I am not sure How they can pass Streaming data through BIS because as far as I know that is not possible.

Let's make it clearer, anything passing through BlackBerry.net APN and the NOC is compressed. everything using WAP2 as Youtube, Mobile Hotspot are not compressed.

Your guys, made it a flame thread. Whether the OP is wrong or right, he asked a question, we had to answer it. We all hope BB10 will get compression too.

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. regarding anyone who is asking who I am. I am a CrackBerry Member same as all of you, nothing special about me.
    03-23-12 05:54 PM
    BlackBerry 10 will have compression in place.

Now, stop the bickering and arguing like your brains were compressed.

After reading all the nonsense in this thread, I need to go DEcompress.
    03-23-12 08:50 PM
    BlackBerry 10 will have compression in place. OK to that but let's hope it has compression across the board or we'll end up like this:

Video Speed Trap Lurks in New iPad
    Users Find the Superfast 4G Link Carries a Big Cost: Churning Through Data Limits in Mere Hours

Take regular video: Verizon estimates that streaming it over an LTE connection runs through 650 megabytes an hour. That's double the amount of data used streaming the same video over a 3G link, because the fatter pipe lets more data through.

On top of that, the new iPad's sharper screen will encourage some users to view videos in high-definition, which uses 2 gigabytes an hour on a 4G connection, according to Verizon.

Video on New Apple iPad Eats Up Monthly Data Plans - WSJ.com
    03-24-12 06:45 AM
    BlackBerry 10 will have compression in place. OK to that but let's hope it has compression across the board or we'll end up like this:

Video Speed Trap Lurks in New iPad
    Users Find the Superfast 4G Link Carries a Big Cost: Churning Through Data Limits in Mere Hours

Take regular video: Verizon estimates that streaming it over an LTE connection runs through 650 megabytes an hour. That's double the amount of data used streaming the same video over a 3G link, because the fatter pipe lets more data through.

On top of that, the new iPad's sharper screen will encourage some users to view videos in high-definition, which uses 2 gigabytes an hour on a 4G connection, according to Verizon.

Video on New Apple iPad Eats Up Monthly Data Plans - WSJ.com
    Again we can't compare depending on Videos, BB10 will be able to compress videos only if they've got Adobe Flash Player.

We hope they get Flash Player. Can't wait till I touch a BB10 device but I feel sorry for all of you guys, your carrier caps data so fast.

Thanks god here in Middle East they respect BB users by FULL Unlimited with no FUP/CAP at all. Some of them ever offer full Unlimited while Roaming as Qatar Qtel, Etisalat UAE, Etisalat Misr!
    03-24-12 06:58 AM
    Apologize for the incorrect statement I may have said regarding Pandora, because I live in a country where Pandora is not supported, I thought it just uses normal streaming. While I am not sure How they can pass Streaming data through BIS because as far as I know that is not possible.

Let's make it clearer, anything passing through BlackBerry.net APN and the NOC is compressed. everything using WAP2 as Youtube, Mobile Hotspot are not compressed.

Your guys, made it a flame thread. Whether the OP is wrong or right, he asked a question, we had to answer it. We all hope BB10 will get compression too.

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. regarding anyone who is asking who I am. I am a CrackBerry Member same as all of you, nothing special about me.

Not saying this in a negative way, its hard to translate emotions into text. Lol

Other than texts and calls I would imagine all data goes through the noc hence the reason we need bis.

Like I had stated earlier when bis was down just like everybody else I could text and make calls along with surf the web with a non native browser (opera) but any data style app other than that did not work and that's including streaming radio apps. I tried all 3 pandora,nobex and slacker.

So if they don't go through the noc and get compressed why would they be down?

Kind of goes back to one of my earlier posts saying you need most if not all apps to go through the noc because that's why we pay for the bis. Here in the states you can not get a blackberry and not have a bis plan and just add on standard data.

03-25-12 02:28 AM

Bla1ze,

Can you please reconfirm this. I have heard conflicting accounts both here and on other sites.
    spike12 likes this.
    09-18-12 10:18 AM
    Didn't he just say it would? Why not ask rim that question? Blackberry 10 WILL have data compression.
    09-18-12 01:00 PM
    Yes, he did, but his response was in March. I have since heard conflicting information about this and I'm just seeking confirmation. If RIM would respond directly, that's great. Rootbrian, do you work for RIM?
    jdhooghe likes this.
    09-18-12 07:42 PM
    Look up the acquisition from about a year ago that rim did of a company called slipstream. They are a compression company. I don't think they would have spent that $ if they weren't planning on using them?

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-19-12 11:08 PM
    The slipstream acquisition was made in 2006, not last year. Bla1ze's comment was made in March and I would just like confirmation from anyone who knows for sure. It's clearly a very important issue for many, but the lack of a definitive response is disconcerning. Kevin, Bla1ze or anyone from RIM; all I'm asking for is confirmation.
    09-20-12 01:26 PM
    The slipstream acquisition was made in 2006, not last year. Bla1ze's comment was made in March and I would just like confirmation from anyone who knows for sure. It's clearly a very important issue for many, but the lack of a definitive response is disconcerning. Kevin, Bla1ze or anyone from RIM; all I'm asking for is confirmation.

They use the NOC for BBM. If the device has BBM then it will have to go through the NOC. The NOC is what does all the compression for them so I would have to go with a firm yes on this.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    09-20-12 04:43 PM
    BlackBerry 10 has absolutely nothing to do with data compression. The NOC will compress data before it is sent to your phone, no matter which application you're using. If you're using data, it's being passed through the NOC and therefore it is compressed. Doesn't matter if you're on OS4 or BB10. It WILL be compressed.
    09-20-12 04:45 PM
    Thanks guys. I also found this piece from Kevin to help.

Further Explanation of the Role of the NOC and how Native Email Works on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2 | CrackBerry.com

But, I still have a question: The notion of "push" email is discussed, but I currently have both a BB on BB6 and a Playbook on OS 2. If I receive an email on the BB, I receive it relatively immediately and a red flashing light displays on the BB telling me I have a new message. I don't get this on my Playbook. New emails only seem to download when I open my "Messages" icon, and sometimes it takes 20 or 30 seconds for it to sync with my email. My setting in the Playbook are set to "Push", but if my "Messages" folder is not open, they don't come in.
    09-21-12 10:32 AM
    ok i would like to revisit this thread with the recent news that Chris posted up on the blogs
    here: BlackBerry 10 devices will need to have a BlackBerry data plan | CrackBerry.com

now with having to have a blackberry data plan in order to run bb10 devices do we still feel the compression will be in place due to the fees to run the noc or do you feel that the noc may only be used as a backup for emergency's?

with this recent news i'm curious to see if the general outcome would be the same as initially when i posted this thread months ago or different.
    10-30-12 12:00 AM
    RIM has already said that official BB10 phones will require a BIS/BES plan. From the sound of it, that will mean when you are connecting over 3G/4G, it will go through the NOC, and have data compression. It should also mean Push services.

The PlayBook doesn't currently use the data plan, so it probably doesn't go through the NOC (except for via Bridge). The Dev Alpha doesn't go through the NOC either.
    10-30-12 09:05 PM
    Will we be able to view proper HTML emails on the BB10 devices?
    01-26-13 08:23 AM
    Will we be able to view proper HTML emails on the BB10 devices?
    We won't know for sure until we get the devices in our hands. I'm sure it'll be like the playbook.
    01-26-13 02:46 PM

So Bla1se stated compression will be on BB10. Could someone at Crackberry please address the reality now that it is released? It's a huge issue and differentiator and Crackberry has been silent on the forums.
    02-01-13 09:07 PM
    WOW. Can't believe the drama on this thread. In all the build up to Blackberry10, I just wanted to know that when Blackberry10 arrives in Malaysia, how would our carriers tier our data plans. Cause currently it is 250MB (BIS Entry, lowest BIS package) where else for iOS, Android and WP users it's 1GB (Mobile Internet Data Lowest Package).

Because I do understand that Blackberry10 can be used without "a data plan" meaning that it can be just used on wi-fi only. So wondering whether would that mean Blackberry10 would become just like the other platforms, or would the data compression technology still be in play for Blackberry10.

That was for my genuine questions for the thread. On the side note, Alby4ever this place isn't really for you. This is a Crackberry forum for crying out loud, you throw a stone and you are bound to hit a Blackberry fanboy, that is a fact. If you want others who may not favour Blackberry as much i recommend you read one of the other mobile nations site, those might suit your taste better. If you're done with this thread, it's perfectly alright. But don't say you're done...come back again, and say the same thing....that's not cool.
    02-02-13 02:39 AM

So the Crackberry gang doesn't want to address this very important issue. If you don't know the answer, than that's one thing, but you should at least communicate something, even if it's to tell us you don't know. Bla1ze was definitive in his response a number of months ago. Was he just making it up?

No compression is a big deal for many BB users.

BlackBerry cuts the BIS | TechCentral
    02-02-13 10:16 PM
    Crackberry has been silent on the lack of compression on BB10. Months ago, Bla1ze said compression would exist on BB10. A few days ago, Kevin said Crackberry would clarify the relationship between BB10 & BIS. Nothing yet. Maybe they hope that it will all go away if they just ignore all the forum posters who have vocalized their concerns. Anyway, it's a huge concern and the answer appears to be that Compression is gone. Yes BBM still goes through the Blackberry infrastructure, but browsing, mail & yes even BBM no longer has compression.
    02-05-13 10:20 PM
155 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD