Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 155
Like Tree93Likes
  1. timmsy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CCC004
    #51  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    "I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week."
    Nice reading pal.

    I don't know what cave your friends live in, but most of mine cap the 2 gbs on their iPhone within days. Stop trying to hijack this thread.
    same, i work for a mobile provider and i never have to up the data on BB users, but iphones i always am adding more because they have fetch and catch unlike the blackberry and constantly ping the network using uneccessary data. Also because on iphones you cant easily close programs completely they always stay on using background data.
    RIM Platinum Business Partner : O2 Data Centre of Excellence

    UK Business Communications Solution Provider
    Part of Mobile Tech Team and Enterprise Client Support
    PIN: 24CCC004
  2. br14's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #52  

    Default Optimized protocols

    It isn't only data compression that makes the BlackBerry solution a more efficient user of mobile bandwidth.

    RIM's BIS protocols are designed to manage data packet transfer between cells more efficiently.

    With 4G, bandwidth will become even more congested that it is today and within a few years demand will exceed existing supply.

    That means operators will have to cap consumption, or price it out of reach of many consumers, or invest billions in new hardware.

    My guess is they're sucking us in to using our phones for media streaming, and once we're through the honeymoon period and dependent on our devices will increase prices. Most carriers have already dropped unlimited rates.
  3. Jaredius's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    PIN
    G 4.2.2.2
    #53  

    Default

    I never understood the "my smartphone is better than yours" argument.

    http://crackberry.com/crackberry-kev...ne-round-robin

    Pizza is better than pie. Wait...what?
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
  4. #54  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    BB phones don't use as much data as high end smartphones because they can't do as much (Netflix, Skype, a lot of other media, etc).

    You can browse the web and email all day on iPhones and Androids and still not go near the data cap. It's just when you decide to use a smartphone like a smartphone then the data starts going up. Even if Netflix and Skype were available on BB, the compression doesn't touch their services.

    Good try. Didn't know people were still using the data compression card. Thought we all saw through that comical argument. I don't think the public is stupid enough to drop their favorite media apps so they can browse and email more on a BB
    Before I update my ignore list as I should have done long before now, I'd just like to note that this is one of the stupidest things you have ever posted, and considering your post history, that's saying something.

    Bye now.
    Ed

    Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    swiftex likes this.
  5. Jaredius's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    PIN
    G 4.2.2.2
    #55  

    Default

    This is sort-of related to BIS compression, packet handling, etc...

    Earthquake Call Fail: BlackBerry Messenger Beats the Phone Carriers

    BBM worked when cell towers were maxed out during a time when communication was needed most. Put that in your underwear and spank it.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
  6. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #56  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    I am sorry if I am joining this little flame war late,

    But I have got a great knowledge about this section,
    Youtube is NOT compressed by RIM Servers, If you are using the normal streaming through BlackBerry Media Player Kit to run Youtube videos and you will get the POP-UP of Streaming may cost you more which means your device is switching to WAP2 Transport which is used by the iPhone and Android devices.

    RIM can't compress RTSP:// protocol at all, it doesn't even pass through their servers. However RIM can compress Youtube on the PlayBook as it passes in plain .flv files not in Streaming Protocol.

    Panadora or any other streaming services is not compressed by a single KB! You guys won't feel that at the US and Canada, because your carriers usually give you like 1 GB to be used in any device not just BlackBerry and adds like a 10$ access fee to the NOC. But in the Middle East BlackBerries got a special separate plans which includes no Streaming just PURE USAGE OVER BlackBerry.net APN which compresses only Webpages, downloads, Youtube videos on PlayBook only.

    ----------------
    Summary:
    What RIM can compress:
    Everything running through BlackBerry.net APN as:
    1. Web pages
    2. HTML5
    3. Downloads
    4. Pictures
    5. Youtube running on the PlayBook
    6. Emails & Attachments


    What RIM can't compress:
    Everything that requires WAP2 Transport using Generic APN (as here gprs.qtel APN for Qatar Qtel):
    1. Youtube over BlackBerry Smartphones
    2. Panadora, other radios
    3. RTSP:// protocol
    4. VoIP
    5. Data through Mobile Hotspot


    So Yes, the statement posted by the OP is incorrect, having BlackBerry is not what makes Pandora streams for less data unless the app has a feature to stream lower quality music which will be something from Pandora end not RIM's. I wish we see the compression available on BB10 devices as carriers here in the Middle East still respect us as BlackBerry users by Unlimited BlackBerry.net transport Data while other devices as iPhones and Androids never get Unlimited Data.
    Thanks for proving my point.

    The ignorance in this thread was amazing. Typical BB fanboy response: *sees truth they don't like* = *calls others trolls*

    My point: BIS doesn't compress media streaming. RIGHT.
    BB fanboys: BIS compresses everything. WRONG.
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.
  7. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #57  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Thanks for proving my point.

    The ignorance in this thread was amazing. Typical BB fanboy response: *sees truth they don't like* = *calls others trolls*

    My point: BIS doesn't compress media streaming. RIGHT.
    BB fanboys: BIS compresses everything. WRONG.
    BIS compresses everything but youtube, if you read all the posts you'll see we've established that. Streaming radio apps can stream on BIS therefore they get compressed.
  8. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #58  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    BIS compresses everything but youtube, if you read all the posts you'll see we've established that. Streaming radio apps can stream on BIS therefore they get compressed.
    Did you NOT READ what M.Rizk wrote:
    "Panadora or any other streaming services is not compressed by a single KB!"

    THIS is what I'm talking about when I say the ignorance is amazing in this thread.
  9. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #59  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Did you NOT READ what M.Rizk wrote:
    "Panadora or any other streaming services is not compressed by a single KB!"

    THIS is what I'm talking about when I say the ignorance is amazing in this thread.
    Dude, Pandora and other radio apps can stream on direct connection or BIS, you can manually choose BIS at which point it IS COMPRESSED!!!

    Is that so hard to understand?
  10. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #60  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    Skype is available on my 9930 and my 9670. Didn't know people are still using the "no Skype on a BB" card.
    Only because you're on Verizon is Skype available..which I know you're well aware of. As i'm sure you're aware when people are talking about Skype they're referring to video chat..not VoiP.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  11. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,260 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #61  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Dude, Pandora and other radio apps can stream on direct connection or BIS, you can manually choose BIS at which point it IS COMPRESSED!!!

    Is that so hard to understand?
    AntiBBFanboys: We won't listedn to what you say and we won't stop and read what we said previously.

    Also we cannot admit failure.


    Belfast, This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I think it's time to let him live in his ignorance.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
  12. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #62  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Only because you're on Verizon is Skype available..which I know you're well aware of. As i'm sure you're aware when people are talking about Skype they're referring to video chat..not VoiP.
    I have to disagree, people always ask for skype for BB, they already know they can't have video chat since there's no ffc.

    Skype to me is voip(voice over ip) voice calling, not videochat, it's in the name.
  13. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #63  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Dude, Pandora and other radio apps can stream on direct connection or BIS, you can manually choose BIS at which point it IS COMPRESSED!!!

    Is that so hard to understand?
    Says WHO? You're making stuff up when M.Rizk already flat-out said that RIM CANNOT COMPRESS PANDORA.

    You made stuff up about YouTube compression and you're making stuff up again.

    This thread is a classic example of BB fanboy ignorance in the face of facts. *sees truth* = *makes up something* or *shout troll!*
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
  14. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,446 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #64  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    I have to disagree, people always ask for skype for BB, they already know they can't have video chat since there's no ffc.

    Skype to me is voip(voice over ip) voice calling, not videochat, it's in the name.
    Sure Skype to YOU is voip..because you don't have the option for video chat. But I would bet money that for 99% of consumers out there..when they're talking about Skype..they're talking about VIDEO chat.

    People don't say "Hey..wanna Skype?" and mean VoiP
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
  15. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #65  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Says WHO? You're making stuff up when M.Rizk already flat-out said that RIM CANNOT COMPRESS PANDORA.

    You made stuff up about YouTube compression and you're making stuff up again.

    This thread is a classic example of BB fanboy ignorance in the face of facts. *sees truth* = *makes up something* or *shout troll!*
    The clue is in what he said:

    "Summary:What RIM can compress:Everything running through BlackBerry.net APN as:1. Web pages 2. HTML5 3. Downloads 4. Pictures 5. Youtube running on the PlayBook 6. Emails & Attachments"

    What maybe he didn't realise was that Pandora and other radio apps can be forced to use BIS not WAP transport therefore subjected to compression.


    Clear?
  16. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,095 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #66  

    Default

    Wow read the first few posts and I didn't want this turning into a flame war.

    I guarantee you that if you stream pandora as much as I have on any other device other than a berry you will be way over your data cap.



    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  17. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #67  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    Sure Skype to YOU is voip..because you don't have the option for video chat. But I would bet money that for 99% of consumers out there..when they're talking about Skype..they're talking about VIDEO chat.

    People don't say "Hey..wanna Skype?" and mean VoiP
    Nah, maybe because I was usink skype long before ffc on phones. Skype to me is just free phonecalls.
  18. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #68  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    The clue is in what he said:

    "Summary:What RIM can compress:Everything running through BlackBerry.net APN as:1. Web pages 2. HTML5 3. Downloads 4. Pictures 5. Youtube running on the PlayBook 6. Emails & Attachments"

    What maybe he didn't realise was that Pandora and other radio apps can be forced to use BIS not WAP transport therefore subjected to compression.


    Clear?
    A CLUE??? That's what you're basing this on??? A CLUE??

    Let me know when you find REAL TECHNICAL PROOF that BIS compresses Pandora. You have no idea how BIS works obviously. In fact, all the BB fanboys here have no idea how BIS works but love to incorrectly shout how compression helps them with streaming.

    Done with this thread.
  19. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #69  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    Wow read the first few posts and I didn't want this turning into a flame war.

    I guarantee you that if you stream pandora as much as I have on any other device other than a berry you will be way over your data cap.



    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Then you didn't read hard enough because M.Rizk (someone who knows how BB data compression works) said Pandora isn't compressed by BB.

    Guarantee. Right.
  20. Jaredius's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    PIN
    G 4.2.2.2
    #70  

    Default

    I say the Earth is flat and it's 100% true because I said it.

    The Earth is round.

    No, the Earth is slightly oblong.

    No, the Earth is a sphere duh. Why do you think they label Northern hemisphere and Southern hemisphere.

    No, that's just a naming convention for navigation. The Earth is compressed at the poles creating a bulge at the equator.

    Didn't you read what I wrote?!

    You're a troll.

    No, you're a troll fanboi doo doo face head.

    You f@rt rainbows.

    Your turn.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    swiftex likes this.
  21. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,819 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #71  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Then you didn't read hard enough because M.Rizk (someone who knows how BB data compression works) said Pandora isn't compressed by BB.

    Guarantee. Right.
    Pandora streaming wap transport- not compressed

    Pandora streaming BIS- compressed.

    Pandora or other radio apps are set to wap by default, change to bis and and they get compressed.
  22. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,095 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #72  

    Default Data compression and the new bb10 devices

    So let me ask you something? Can you get a data plan without bis?

    Nope because all data travels through the noc. The noc compresses.

    Funny how when bis was down I couldn't use pandora.. Go figure.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  23. pcguy514's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #73  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    So let me ask you something? Can you get a data plan without bis?

    Nope because all data travels through the noc. The noc compresses.

    Funny how when bis was down I couldn't use pandora.. Go figure.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Not here to argue with you all just want you to do some reading but you guys probably won't, even tho the proof is in the pudding plain as day.

    RIM quietly buys Slipstream Data for compression technology


    As you were kids, oh and you can bypass the noc and just use your carrier web but it's limited to app usage or something of the sorts.
    Thanked by:
    Jaredius (03-09-2012) 
    Jaredius likes this.
  24. Jaredius's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    PIN
    G 4.2.2.2
    #74  

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by pcguy514 View Post
    Not here to argue with you all just want you to do some reading but you guys probably won't, even tho the proof is in the pudding plain as day.

    RIM quietly buys Slipstream Data for compression technology


    As you were kids, oh and you can bypass the noc and just use your carrier web but it's limited to app usage or something of the sorts.
    I smell a pwnd.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
  25. ronag's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #75  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    LOL. Nice reading comprehension skills yourself there. And nice lack of understanding of how BIS data compression works. If he's streaming Pandora, then he's using the exact same amount of data as iPhone and Android users. So he tried to paint BB as being the reason why he can stream and still not hit the cap, but only BB fans living in a cave believe there are these mystical data compression powers.

    And yes, people on real high-end smartphones are reaching those data caps faster because the phones do a lot more than BB's. Welcome to 2012.

    Try re-reading what I wrote
    Sorry to burst your bubble...and jump in mid-thread, but ALL carrier data in & out from a Blackberry goes through the NOC and is compressed....INCLUDING Pandora.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions