Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 155
Like Tree93Likes
  1. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Data compression and the new bb10 devices

    Just wondering if you guys think we will still see a lot of the data compression we see now on devices on the newer bb10 devices.

    With carriers buckling down on data consumption and a phone that can do what a bb10 phone can there's almost no way to go over 3GB.

    I am at 663mb with 2 days left in my billing cycle. I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week. I bet if you did that on any other phone it would be way over the limit already.
    .

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  2. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #2  

    Default

    I'm hoping we see the option.
    For example, there will be
    data compression on mobile network? (on/off)
    Data compression on wifi network? (on/off) (in case you do have some data caps)
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
  3. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    BB phones don't use as much data as high end smartphones because they can't do as much (Netflix, Skype, a lot of other media, etc).

    You can browse the web and email all day on iPhones and Androids and still not go near the data cap. It's just when you decide to use a smartphone like a smartphone then the data starts going up. Even if Netflix and Skype were available on BB, the compression doesn't touch their services.

    Good try. Didn't know people were still using the data compression card. Thought we all saw through that comical argument. I don't think the public is stupid enough to drop their favorite media apps so they can browse and email more on a BB
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-08-2012 at 12:01 AM.
  4. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    BB phones don't use as much data as high end smartphones because they can't do as much (Netflix, Skype, a lot of other media, etc).

    You can browse the web and email all day on iPhones and Androids and still not go near the data cap. It's just when you decide to use a smartphone like a smartphone then the data starts going up. Even if Netflix and Skype were available on BB, the compression doesn't touch their services.

    Good try. Didn't know people were still using the data compression card. Thought we all saw through that comical argument. I don't think the public is stupid enough to drop their favorite media apps so they can browse and email more on a BB
    "I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week."
    Nice reading pal.

    I don't know what cave your friends live in, but most of mine cap the 2 gbs on their iPhone within days. Stop trying to hijack this thread.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
  5. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    "I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week."
    Nice reading pal.

    I don't know what cave your friends live in, but most of mine cap the 2 gbs on their iPhone within days. Stop trying to hijack this thread.
    LOL. Nice reading comprehension skills yourself there. And nice lack of understanding of how BIS data compression works. If he's streaming Pandora, then he's using the exact same amount of data as iPhone and Android users. So he tried to paint BB as being the reason why he can stream and still not hit the cap, but only BB fans living in a cave believe there are these mystical data compression powers.

    And yes, people on real high-end smartphones are reaching those data caps faster because the phones do a lot more than BB's. Welcome to 2012.

    Try re-reading what I wrote
  6. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    LOL. Nice reading comprehension skills yourself there. And nice lack of understanding of how BIS data compression works. If he's streaming Pandora, then he's using the exact same amount of data as iPhone and Android users. So he tried to paint BB as being the reason why he can stream and still not hit the cap, but only BB fans living in a cave believe there are these mystical data compression powers.

    And yes, people on real high-end smartphones are reaching those data caps faster because the phones do a lot more than BB's. Welcome to 2012.

    Try re-reading what I wrote
    Sorry. I didn't realize that reading was a big part of internet use. You obviously know more than me about Pandora. Tell me more about the option to stream low quality for speed on the iPhone.

    Unbeknownst to most, I had an iPhone and have a Nexus S. So I am not "In a cave".

    And I'm willing to bet that I know more about Smart phones than you do in total so if you want to argue then lets do it via PM. Not here. Hopefully a Mod come in here and will Delete these replies. (After you read this.)

    Of course if you want to show off to others how dumb we BlackBerry users are, Do call me out in a different thread. Not here though.
    Of course you won't though.

    Oh yeah and by the way, iPhone uses 3x more data to load a page than a BlackBerry Does. And if you want to talk content wise, the BlackBerry does in fact support more HTML than the iPhone. So no. You're wrong. There are mystical compression powers in play here. Come at me bro.

    (Again not here. a different thread.)
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 03-08-2012 at 01:39 AM.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    Thanked by 4:
    AugustArborists (03-09-2012),  blackguy07 (03-09-2012),  byee19 (03-09-2012),  qbnkelt (03-09-2012) 
    jelp2, frisco49ers, byee19 and 9 others like this.
  7. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,438 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    BB phones don't use as much data as high end smartphones because they can't do as much (Netflix, Skype, a lot of other media, etc).

    You can browse the web and email all day on iPhones and Androids and still not go near the data cap. It's just when you decide to use a smartphone like a smartphone then the data starts going up. Even if Netflix and Skype were available on BB, the compression doesn't touch their services.

    Good try. Didn't know people were still using the data compression card. Thought we all saw through that comical argument. I don't think the public is stupid enough to drop their favorite media apps so they can browse and email more on a BB
    All android and iphone owners I know turn their data off as soon as they get close to a border, data compression on a BB allows you to use your phone as normal no matter what country you might find yourself in.

    Oh, and since when is watching Netflix the definition of a smartphone use? Lol
    Thanked by 2:
    qbnkelt (03-09-2012),  Stewartj1 (02-07-2013) 
    Stewartj1, jelp2, qbnkelt and 5 others like this.
  8. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    All android and iphone owners I know turn their data off as soon as they get close to a border, data compression on a BB allows you to use your phone as normal no matter what country you might find yourself in.

    Oh, and since when is watching Netflix the definition of a smartphone use? Lol
    You're lucky. Most iPhone users I know don't even know where the network settings are. -_-.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
  9. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,438 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    LOL. Nice reading comprehension skills yourself there. And nice lack of understanding of how BIS data compression works. If he's streaming Pandora, then he's using the exact same amount of data as iPhone and Android users. So he tried to paint BB as being the reason why he can stream and still not hit the cap, but only BB fans living in a cave believe there are these mystical data compression powers.

    And yes, people on real high-end smartphones are reaching those data caps faster because the phones do a lot more than BB's. Welcome to 2012.

    Try re-reading what I wrote
    There was a time when streaming bypassed the NOC so essentially it would turn your BIS off, that no longer happens, if it goes trough BIS it will be compressed, even watching youtube goes trough it now.
    Thanked by 3:
    bobauckland (03-08-2012),  Gouk (03-09-2012),  world traveler and former ceo (03-10-2012) 
    adjdudley21 likes this.
  10. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,438 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    You're lucky. Most iPhone users I know don't even know where the network settings are. -_-.
    Lol, I showed them.
  11. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    There was a time when streaming bypassed the NOC so essentially it would turn your BIS off, that no longer happens, if it goes trough BIS it will be compressed, even watching youtube goes trough it now.
    Maybe YouTube, but music streaming services aren't compressed and use the same amount of data as other smartphones. So again, the OP tried to make the argument that BIS allowed him to stream music without coming close to the data cap, which I revealed to be a crock of ####.
  12. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    Sorry. I didn't realize that reading was a big part of internet use. You obviously know more than me about Pandora. Tell me more about the option to stream low quality for speed on the iPhone.

    Unbeknownst to most, I had an iPhone and have a Nexus S. So I am not "In a cave".

    And I'm willing to bet that I know more about Smart phones than you do in total so if you want to argue then lets do it via PM. Not here. Hopefully a Mod come in here and will Delete these replies. (After you read this.)

    Of course if you want to show off to others how dumb we BlackBerry users are, Do call me out in a different thread. Not here though.
    Of course you won't though.

    Oh yeah and by the way, iPhone uses 3x more data to load a page than a BlackBerry Does. And if you want to talk content wise, the BlackBerry does in fact support more HTML than the iPhone. So no. You're wrong. There are mystical compression powers in play here. Come at me bro.

    (Again not here. a different thread.)
    Another fail. Seriously, read what I wrote. You're probably trolling me. The OP was talking about media streaming services that he thought was being compressed by BIS but really wasn't.

    Browsing the web all day for weeks won't get you close to the data cap.

    Keep trying
  13. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    #13  

    Default

    Wow you are such children. I defend op. Alby,your such an .
    lovin2act and mrmartis like this.
  14. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Wow you are such children. I defend op. Alby,your such an .
    How are you defending the OP when I clearly showed his argument to be flat-out false?
  15. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #15  

    Default

    Once again, just telling me to read what I wrote. How about you reply to something? An iPhone uses 3x more data than a BB on the same web page. If you learn to see the subject of the actual post, you can see that the thesis statement is, Just wondering if you guys think we will still see a lot of the data compression we see now on devices on the newer bb10 devices."

    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that i did read your first post wrong. Sorry bout that. But your arguments are actually wrong. You are assuming that the reason people think their phones use less data, is because they only surf and email, however in tests it has been shown that a BlackBerry uses less data than an iPhone (and probably Android) when loading the same content on their phones.

    And iChat, when have I said that I didn't defend OP? I'm trying to correct someone but he/she is being too thick skulled to read what I say.
  16. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    How are you defending the OP when I clearly showed his argument to be flat-out false?
    And exactly explain to me how it is false, so far, the entire block of posts you have written hasn't convinced anyone.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (03-09-2012) 
    qbnkelt and swiftex like this.
  17. VerryBestr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    376 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Some elements transmitted on the internet can be compressed by a factor of 2 or 3 or even more.

    Other elements simply cannot be further compressed by any useful factor. These are elements that have already been highly compressed, such as most video and music. The only way to reduce size here is to recompress with less information (lower quality). That is something that cannot reasonably be done on the fly.

    You can check this out on any desktop computer, with applications that package and compress files into files like rar and zip. Documents will often compress well, as will HTML pages. But not music and video. This simply basic "information theory" -- check out the meaning and implications of a file's "entropy."

    RIM's compression is effective for web pages, email, most email attachments. It will not be very effective for music and especially video. As music and especially video begins to dominate that data that consumers use, RIM's compression loses its advantage for consumers. It still offers advantages for enterprises, but less so as data costs drop on higher speed networks.
    Thanked by:
    richbayliss (02-06-2013) 
    bbui4, W Hoa, Gouk and 2 others like this.
  18. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    For those who with reading comprehension issues, the OP said this:
    "With carriers buckling down on data consumption and a phone that can do what a bb10 phone can there's almost no way to go over 3GB.

    I am at 663mb with 2 days left in my billing cycle. I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week. I bet if you did that on any other phone it would be way over the limit already."

    He's claiming that his music streaming was compressed by BIS. BIS DOESN'T TOUCH MEDIA STREAMING SERVICES (except maybe YouTube).

    LOL. You guys.
    bbui4 likes this.
  19. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,438 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Maybe YouTube, but music streaming services aren't compressed and use the same amount of data as other smartphones. So again, the OP tried to make the argument that BIS allowed him to stream music without coming close to the data cap, which I revealed to be a crock of ####.
    Wrong, anything that goes trough BIS gets compressed, I downloaded a podcast trough the browser and the data used was a quarter less then the podcast file, as you know a BB can download or stream.
  20. alby4ever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Wrong, anything that goes trough BIS gets compressed, I downloaded a podcast trough the browser and the data used was a quarter less then the podcast file, as you know a BB can download or stream.
    Does Pandora/Slacker or any other STREAMING music service get compressed by BIS?

    That's a rhetorical question. The answer is no. So no BB's compression didn't do jack to help the OP with his music STREAMING.

    Way to miss the point.

    It's hilarious how the OP's point has been proven to be FACTUALLY INCORRECT and yet you guys are pulling at every last little straw to make an attempt at an argument. Hilarious. Done with this thread.
  21. JAGWIRE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,322 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    ....idk what else to say LOL
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
  22. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,438 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    Does Pandora/Slacker or any other STREAMING music service get compressed by BIS?

    That's a rhetorical question. The answer is no. So no BB's compression didn't do jack to help the OP with his music STREAMING.

    Way to miss the point.

    It's hilarious how the OP's point has been proven to be FACTUALLY INCORRECT and yet you guys are pulling at every last little straw to make an attempt at an argument. Hilarious. Done with this thread.
    Dude, what part of if it goes trough bIs it gets compressed you don't understand? All streaming services give you the choice to choose bis, bes or tcp for the connection. Choose BIS and any data gets compressed, some more then others.

    I use tunein radio and believe me it uses far less data then what the stream should use.
    Gouk likes this.
  23. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alby4ever View Post
    For those who with reading comprehension issues, the OP said this:
    "With carriers buckling down on data consumption and a phone that can do what a bb10 phone can there's almost no way to go over 3GB.

    I am at 663mb with 2 days left in my billing cycle. I've streamed music for the past 3 weeks about 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week. I bet if you did that on any other phone it would be way over the limit already."

    He's claiming that his music streaming was compressed by BIS. BIS DOESN'T TOUCH MEDIA STREAMING SERVICES (except maybe YouTube).

    LOL. You guys.
    Why... are you here?
    I feel like there is no point in trying to reason with you anymore. You just can't read.
    I'm sorry.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    Thanked by 2:
    qbnkelt (03-09-2012) 
    qbnkelt, SCrid2000 and Gouk like this.
  24. mssca's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin is a small and pointy object...so it's really not for little ones.
    #24  

    Default

    RIM also better come up with two different options for data; high speed non stone age non-BIS regular Internet for us and BIS stone age slow Internet for the company users. Like BES, we should be able to choose or RIM's new CEO should fire himself out of the company.
    Pearl™ 8130 > Bold™ 9700 (Unlocked) > Bold™ 9900 (Unlocked)
    One step forward, two steps backwards; the Research in (slow) Motion.
    WWW: My Site | Geek Community
    Find my posts useful? Please let me know by clicking Thanks
  25. narci's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts
    #25  
    Thanked by:
    wiggy1 (03-12-2012) 
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions