I haven't seen this addressed yet and I'm not 100% sure if this is the right section of the forums, but I will ask anyway.

With Blackberry 10/Z10 is there still data compression between device and carrier like there is in Pre-BB10 devices? I am still a little confused as to what has happened with BIS with the new platform (pretty sure no longer being used though BES is) and I'm certain that data compression is part of BIS. I don't mind having to bump up my data allowance when Verizon finally has the Z10, I just want to know what I am in for before I get blind-sighted.

That being said, looking through the forums and blog posts, there is plenty of good and plenty of not-so-good things going on with BB10/Z10 that even though I have until March to even have the opportunity to upgrade, I am still somewhat on the fence about doing so. I will stay with my 9930 if I have to, but I have been waiting too long not to and nothing else has the same appeal as the Z10.
    02-08-13 12:59 AM
    BlackBerry 10 Data Consumption: You Cannot Eat Your Cake & Have It | MOBILITY

In short, compression over BIS is pretty much a thing of the past. It isn't feasible to have a rich media experience over a closed metering network.
    It will be supported for a while longer, as I've read in a couple of places, but BIS is going the way of New Coke and dodo birds.
    b320 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-08-13 01:30 AM
    Just to add to what BergerKing said, compression is gone for any BB10 device, but all OS7, and below, will continue as is and will not change.
    02-08-13 07:05 AM
    To be fair, this is a lot less important than it used to be. I have four gigs, I don't care about compression at all
    02-08-13 08:22 AM
    Just to add to what BergerKing said, compression is gone for any BB10 device, but all OS7, and below, will continue as is and will not change.
    I knew the compression would still be there for OS7 and lower devices. I just wanted to make sure for 10.
    02-08-13 06:29 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Data Consumption: You Cannot Eat Your Cake & Have It | MOBILITY

In short, compression over BIS is pretty much a thing of the past. It isn't feasible to have a rich media experience over a closed metering network.
    It will be supported for a while longer, as I've read in a couple of places, but BIS is going the way of New Coke and dodo birds.
    I figured as much, it makes sense. Compresing and decompressing streaming media carries a lot of overhead as far as processor usage goes but I had to ask nonetheless.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 06:31 PM
    Used 150 mb so far in four days

On my BB7 I used an average of 700 mb a month
    02-08-13 06:32 PM
    To be fair, this is a lot less important than it used to be. I have four gigs, I don't care about compression at all
    I believe it is important, always has been one of the better reasons for keeping a Blackberry. As I stated, I don't mind going to a higher allowance plan, I was just hoping I wouldn't need to. I might not anyway as it all depends on what you do with the device. If I don't have to pay for data I'm not using then what's the point? I'm on a 1GB share plan with my wife (she has a 9650) as we barely use 250MB a month. Used to have unlimited but went with the share to save some money, so its just about trying to plan ahead.
    MarvBear likes this.
    02-08-13 06:35 PM
    If you're connected to BES10, only the Work side of Balance will be compressed. The Personal side is no longer compressed. If you're not on a BES10 server, no data is compressed.
    Claidheamhmor likes this.
    02-08-13 06:39 PM

That's not as bad as I figured it would be, even for a heavy user. These are the kind of qualitative responses I was looking for. I figured on having to jump to a higher allowance and this confirms it. Better to pay the extra money up front than to be slammed with overage charges.
    02-08-13 06:39 PM
    If you're connected to BES10, only the Work side of Balance will be compressed. The Personal side is no longer compressed. If you're not on a BES10 server, no data is compressed.
    I expected BES to keep compression. Half tempted to set up my own BES just for the compression and the outlook sync.
    02-08-13 06:40 PM
    I believe it is important, always has been one of the better reasons for keeping a Blackberry. As I stated, I don't mind going to a higher allowance plan, I was just hoping I wouldn't need to. I might not anyway as it all depends on what you do with the device. If I don't have to pay for data I'm not using then what's the point? I'm on a 1GB share plan with my wife (she has a 9650) as we barely use 250MB a month. Used to have unlimited but went with the share to save some money, so its just about trying to plan ahead.
    I agree but how much is another gb?
    I think it would cost less for you to buy data than for BlackBerry to run BIS and charge for it.
    Plus that headlines risk with BIS going down, ick
    02-08-13 08:29 PM
    The tiers are set up so that it is $10/mo to jump to another GB, if you go over it is $15 (even if you go over by 1KB they charge you for a whole GB).
    02-09-13 01:29 PM
    This is insanely important for travelers like me but on a budget.

With BIS email compression, I can be in Asia for two weeks and pull less than 20mb through my gmail account on 24/7.

If BIS is on the way out (or more specifically data compression ), what about those of us who is still using OS 7/6/5(!) ?

Makes me want to think twice about going BB10 as I am sure my carrier would not let me to go back to my current bis plan if I change my mind.
    02-11-13 07:33 PM
    This is insanely important for travelers like me but on a budget.

With BIS email compression, I can be in Asia for two weeks and pull less than 20mb through my gmail account on 24/7.

If BIS is on the way out (or more specifically data compression ), what about those of us who is still using OS 7/6/5(!) ?

Makes me want to think twice about going BB10 as I am sure my carrier would not let me to go back to my current bis plan if I change my mind.
    Legacy devices will still be using BIS
    02-11-13 07:40 PM

How are you monitoring your data usage?
    02-11-13 07:42 PM

Must be on wifi... A lot? I know when I 1st get a phone, my data levels are off the chain!

I just right now burned through 300 mb at work in 2 hours, streaming Netflix, lol!

Yes, my job is that boring. Thank god for Netflix!

I generally go through 10-15g a month lol!

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-11-13 07:44 PM
    That is nothing!!! You have to be in wifi always
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-12-13 01:59 AM
    How are you monitoring your data usage?
    Carriers provide that service, I call a number and get a text back with my usage.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-12-13 02:42 AM
    Must be on wifi... A lot? I know when I 1st get a phone, my data levels are off the chain!

I just right now burned through 300 mb at work in 2 hours, streaming Netflix, lol!

Yes, my job is that boring. Thank god for Netflix!

I generally go through 10-15g a month lol!

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    Why not use wifi when it is available? At best 3G speeds are still rotten by today's standards where even with a half decent internet connection wifi is still faster. Because of high data usages like that (the 10-15GB/mo) I would be even more inclined to use wifi, especially for Netflix streaming. What I am trying to say is that you've gone to the extreme and thus are not a good example of normal usage. Have fun paying the bill for 15GB a month.
    02-12-13 11:09 AM
    I think this is the right thread to post to.

I am presently using a Bold 9700 with a 500 mb data plan. Obviously on BIS...

Is there some form of a factor that I can apply to my current usage and see what I should anticipate using when I make my upgrade to the z10?

Over the last six month my average data use is 100 mb (ranges from 89 mb to 123 mb)... Any assistance would be great!
    02-12-13 02:25 PM
    I think this is the right thread to post to.

I am presently using a Bold 9700 with a 500 mb data plan. Obviously on BIS...

Is there some form of a factor that I can apply to my current usage and see what I should anticipate using when I make my upgrade to the z10?

Over the last six month my average data use is 100 mb (ranges from 89 mb to 123 mb)... Any assistance would be great!
    I've found this one to be the most helpful and customizable to what you really might be doing....

Bell Mobility data usage calculator - see how much data you really need
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-12-13 02:30 PM
    Moved to BB10 forum
    BergerKing and cmdrkeen86 like this.
    02-12-13 02:41 PM
    To be fair, it is very important to people who go on international travel.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-12-13 02:59 PM
    I've found this one to be the most helpful and customizable to what you really might be doing....

Bell Mobility data usage calculator - see how much data you really need
    Oh great! Thank you. I had seem something similar previously, but did not realize that they had updated it to include Blackberry 10.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-12-13 03:31 PM
65 123