Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Data compression on BB10

On my Torch 9800 with a BIS data plan I rarely get close to my 100mb per month limit due to BB data compression. I do try to use wifi wherever I can. When plan to get a Z10 in 2 weeks time, will I need to look at a higher data package if the phone has standard smartphone tariff?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,202 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B681AED

Everything I have read and seen and known previously of how the BIS works indicated that the BIS was the source of the compression, since there will be no more BIS per say, so the compression is gone. Z10 will have the same data consumption as Android and iPhone.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    -= Back in Black =-
    Sorry I left you for 3 months.........
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

I keep wondering about this too, am I going to have to restructure my plan? So there is zero Data compression in the Z10 Vs. my 9900. Someone needs to explain this with a lot more technical knowhow!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the reply. I think that I will need at least 500mb, I was using alot more data on the Nokia I had before the Torch.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,420 Global Posts

I was wondering about this too,especially being under an old Unlimited Data Plan with Verizon. If BB10's data use is going to match Androids' or Apple's then paying full price for a Z or Q10 is the only option. Really wish Verizon would offer better values on their smartphone data tiers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    PIN
    322D4970

Well from what I've seen, and think how this works is that BB10 still uses BIS, but doesn't need a specific plan to access it anymore. Like it can just use a standard plan to access the BIS servers.
    In RIM we trust!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hmmm... very curious to get some clarity on this. Can anyone from the CB team or similarly 'in the know' shine some light on this??
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

I thought they were going to eliminate BIS in a year?
  9. MTL
    CrackBerry Abuser

So the International plans will be gone?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

I to like data compression as well and I was wondering if data compression is gone or reduce in BB10 phones, then will BB10 phones at least have a feature to set a limit on the amount of data you use like SGII and other android phones do.
    CrackBerry Addict

There's a bit of clarity here: BlackBerry 10 BIS changes in SA confirmed The link explains how South African carriers will handle BIS. While agreeing that one strength of BIS is its compression, I wonder exactly what the percentage compression is and whether there's any quantifiable delay due to the overhead inferred by compressing and uncompressing data. Also, does removing the RIM (now BlackBerry) Network Operations Centre (NOC) from the equation maybe enhance performance and reliability. We all remember the terrible and well-deserved flak RIM took with the well-publicized NOC outage in October 2011.
    My understanding is that BIS will continue into the forseeable future for BB OS7 and ealier devices for all services. BIS will be used for BBM in BB OS10 and later devices.
    chronic BlackBerry addict and abuser