Will bb10 still sport data compression not looking forward to go over any data limits or having to switch blackberry plans?
    01-28-13 06:50 PM
    Considering that it's now been all-but-confirmed that BB10 BIS plans will not exist, it's probably safe to assume that compression (at least as far as BIS is concerned) won't be happening. You'll be placed on a regular Smartphone Data Plan (i.e., the ones iPhones have today). That's not to say some compression mechanisms can't be built-in to the phone, but you get the point.
    01-28-13 06:56 PM
    Someone please advise the equivalent of 1gb of compressed data
    01-28-13 06:59 PM
    I believe you will still get some compression for some things but not near as much as before
    01-28-13 07:03 PM
    I don't think BIS is finished, just that it's not required. I look forward to finding out what the plans available are. Should BIS be an option, I will be taking it.
    01-28-13 07:05 PM
    Theres been rumors/info going around about tiered plans. So maybe BIS will be a $5/10 addition on top of your regular plan?
    01-28-13 07:11 PM
    That is why I am going to buy BB10 off contract and keep my unlimited plan on Verizon. It will be interesting to see what the data usage difference will be. Right now I use .5GB or less per month
    01-28-13 07:26 PM
    Oh how I wish I could get an unlimited data plan. I have 1GB at the moment, and despite the data compression I could honestly use a lot more - I have to limit myself in my usage a lot. I've been looking into other plans, but they all seem like a bloody rip-off. I'm hoping Telus brings back the 6GB for $60 promo for BB10, although I have a feeling it probably won't happen.
    01-28-13 07:32 PM
    Theres been rumors/info going around about tiered plans. So maybe BIS will be a $5/10 addition on top of your regular plan?
    Can't honestly think of any reason why anyone would pay even an extra penny for BIS. What are the advantages over a regular data plan? (assuming you can still access BBM and the net with a regular plan)
    01-28-13 07:46 PM
    Can't honestly think of any reason why anyone would pay even an extra penny for BIS. What are the advantages over a regular data plan? (assuming you can still access BBM and the net with a regular plan)
    With the exception of video and music, it compresses the data used. That is why. For those that don't have, nor wish to pay for, huge data plans, an extra $5/mth is an easy bet.
    01-28-13 08:01 PM
    Considering that it's now been all-but-confirmed that BB10 BIS plans will not exist,.
    I did not know this. So correct me if I'm wrong: you need a BIS or BES plan to use BBM. If your employer decides they're waiting it out before upgrading to BES10 you can use ActiveSync to get your work email. But now you don't have BES or BIS.

So does that mean I can't use BBM anymore?
    01-28-13 08:02 PM
    According to the Vodaphone info leaked today you don't need a BB specific plan for BBM - just a standard data plan.
    dynot likes this.
    01-28-13 08:05 PM
    I don't think data compression makes as much difference as people on here commonly believe. I haven't seen anything to quantify how much or what types of data are compressed.
    01-28-13 08:11 PM
    I don't think data compression makes as much difference as people on here commonly believe. I haven't seen anything to quantify how much or what types of data are compressed.
    Unless streaming video/audio...all data was compressed. Browser usage, social media, email, etc.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-28-13 08:21 PM
    So will I be able to keep my blackberry plan or will they make me switch to regular
    01-28-13 08:22 PM
    With the exception of video and music, it compresses the data used. That is why. For those that don't have, nor wish to pay for, huge data plans, an extra $5/mth is an easy bet.
    Err... but what takes up the most data IS music/video. It's not like e-mails are killing us here. So why pay $5 for some (small) amount of compression, when I could just buy the next tier data package (which is probably another $10 but would provide a ton more than the compression does).

I did not know this. So correct me if I'm wrong: you need a BIS or BES plan to use BBM. If your employer decides they're waiting it out before upgrading to BES10 you can use ActiveSync to get your work email. But now you don't have BES or BIS.

If you are using this as a consumer - you do NOT need BIS to use BBM on BB10 (unless RIM is planning to make BBM optional and charge it as a "feature":... but that's highly unlikely). Corporate deployments still requires BES, so if your company deploys BES 10, you will be going through BB servers at least for the Work mode on BB Balance (not sure whether it would also apply for personal in that case, but I would think not).

So will I be able to keep my blackberry plan or will they make me switch to regular
    Probably make you switch, in the same way that if you upgraded from BB6/BB7 to an iPhone you'd need to switch your plan. But it doesn't necessarily mean you would be paying more - depends on your carrier and country.
    01-28-13 08:22 PM
    That's a really good question actually. The plan I have right now was a promo at the time, and is still pretty good compared to the rubbish they have right now. Unless they intend to have some good promo's going on for BB10, I would be pretty annoyed if Telus forced me to switch to a new plan. I guess we'll find out on the 30th.
    01-28-13 08:23 PM
    Err... but what takes up the most data IS music/video. It's not like e-mails are killing us here. So why pay $5 for some (small) amount of compression, when I could just buy the next tier data package (which is probably another $10 but would provide a ton more than the compression does).
    Considering I get anywhere from 50-150 emails a day on my phone, it makes a difference. Also, web browsing and web accessing apps are compressed. I don't stream a lot of video, nor do I stream a lot of music. Here and there, maybe but not often. What data I use, gets compressed so for me, it makes sense. I'm not saying it does for all, just me.
    01-28-13 08:30 PM

For any and all current and older BB phones, there is no difference. It's the same thing moving forward. Any of these changes applies only to the new platform.
    01-28-13 08:32 PM
    Ok think of it this way iphone uses 5gb plan up where BB will use same 5gb plan but make last like it was on a 10GB plan basically double your money.

So i have a iphone 4 (not 4s) and when i use it on my 5gb plan i maybe used around 1-2gb per month cause i usually was on wifi, now thats about the same for my galaxy s3 i have now.
    01-28-13 08:39 PM