I saw some traffic a while ago concerning this issue but considering I have a more powerful contact manager on my Ipod Gen2 device I am really regretting buying the Z30. $350 and I still have to carry my old phone or a notebook to determine what each number is specifically attached. As a consequence, I cannot make a family or group contact because I will not be able to determine whether I am calling someones work cell, personal cell, which home phone if they have 2, the list goes on and on. This is also an issue with e-mails and postal addresses. It seems that Blackberry did absolutely no research concerning the technology available on Android and IOS for at least the previous 6 years contact management.

Example Ipod Gen2 contact phone numbers that the Z30 completely face plants itself.

Custom Contact Fields-img_20140831_145808.jpg
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-31-14 06:27 PM
    What are you talking about?

Custom Contact Fields-img_20140831_212954.pngCustom Contact Fields-img_20140831_212959.pngCustom Contact Fields-img_20140831_213002.pngCustom Contact Fields-img_20140831_213046.pngCustom Contact Fields-img_20140831_213051.png

Screenies are for 10.3 but it ALL works exactly the same for 10.2.1.
    08-31-14 07:32 PM
    You cannot modify the fields. They must be either 'Mobile', 'Work', 'Home', or 'Other'. No other option. Therefore, if a person has 2 or more mobile numbers, 2 or more work numbers, 2 or more home numbers, etc you will not be able to distinguish between the numbers. This issue is the same for e-mail addresses and postal addresses. You will just have to remember which number is which. You cannot create a single contact in which the fields are labeled as shown from my Ipod Gen2 screen shot. This is also available on Android devices as shown below which cannot be done on BBM devices.

Custom Contact Fields-s-4g-phone.jpg
    08-31-14 07:46 PM
    Workaround until that time which BB10 supports that which you are asking is to create multiple contacts for the same individual.
    08-31-14 11:10 PM
    Given that I use the same Google contact list to update multiple IOS and Android devices I will not be subjecting the rest of the household to the limitations of a single device. I will just have to carry around my 5 year old Ipod Gen2 so that I know which phone number is which on the Z30.
    08-31-14 11:33 PM
    You do see I have PAGER and FAX for Fake Dad, rigth? It's not like you only have the options you listed there.

Let's see if I can get custom fields now.

EDIT: Nope, that's as far as it goes. You can have 3 different kinds of Fax and Pager though. This seems like something they could add to the OS. Gonna forward this up.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-02-14 at 09:49 AM.
    Rich Shadden and CMcRob like this.
    09-02-14 09:38 AM
    Custom Contact Fields-img_20140902_154857.png

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 09:49 AM
    Bump. This needs attention and I'm sure could be coded and tested in a single day. Its just a field label...
    09-02-14 02:47 PM
    Bump. This needs attention and I'm sure could be coded and tested in a single day. Its just a field label...
    Like I said, I'll get BlackBerry to look into it, but DO NOT expect the OS to be patched anytime now. It's likely it won't make it into a release before November, no matter how easy to fix.
    09-02-14 05:20 PM
    Like I said, I'll get BlackBerry to look into it, but DO NOT expect the OS to be patched anytime now. It's likely it won't make it into a release before November, no matter how easy to fix.
    Thanks for the consideration. I have to carry my Ipod with me now in order to know which number I am calling or texting even for the same individual and especially for merged contacts. I am loving most of the rest except for not having the 'select more' option in a particular text thread to delete multiple text all at once. Have a work around to first search for text then I get the select more option in the results to delete.
    09-02-14 05:44 PM
    Email the developers directly at: [email protected] and
    [email protected]

P.S. You won't get a personal reply so don't expect one.

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1130/1154 bars
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    09-02-14 07:20 PM
    I just use Tipp Ex to white out the field and then write what I want over the top.

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way guys! :SMDH

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    der_mit likes this.
    09-02-14 08:38 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140902_154857.png 
Views:	939 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	295265

Posted via CB10
    No "custom" field, but pager and fax are there.
    09-02-14 09:08 PM
    While we're on the subject - and I agree with the original poster that we could use some more customization options, and that it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to implement - I dislike that, for example, when I enter someone's "Home" number, usually a landline, the option to "Text Home" automatically is presented. Would be nice to be able to delete an option here or there, for example if someone doesn't have a texting plan.
    diegonei, newcollector and Boight like this.
    09-04-14 02:13 AM
    While we're on the subject - and I agree with the original poster that we could use some more customization options, and that it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to implement - I dislike that, for example, when I enter someone's "Home" number, usually a landline, the option to "Text Home" automatically is presented. Would be nice to be able to delete an option here or there, for example if someone doesn't have a texting plan.
    You are SO right on this one.
    09-04-14 09:58 AM
    Not sure if this true. I know that syncing with Outlook and other services could be impacted by changing the names of the fields.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 11:35 AM
    Not sure if this true. I know that syncing with Outlook and other services could be impacted by changing the names of the fields.

Posted via CB10
    I use Google to manage my contacts and the custom fields work perfectly across both my IOS and Android devices. When I sync with BlackBerry they just go into the first available field regardless of the name. This weekend I will do a test to see if my Z30 distinguishes between cell and home numbers and determine if the numbers go in a particular order from both Google and outlook.
    09-04-14 12:26 PM
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. But are Custom contacts fields known to be a part of 10.3.1?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 12:57 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S 4G phone.jpg 
Views:	968 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	294944
    In relation to bluetooth.. When your phone is connected via BT in your car, can you tell it to call john smith at the boathouse?
    11-13-14 08:16 AM
    The complaints about the lack of custom fields for phone numbers in the BB Contacts app are nothing new. I have seen many bringing it up since the early days of BB10. In my opinion, it is one of the major shortcomings of the Contacts app. I am really surprised it has not yet been addressed by BB after so many OS upgrades! This is a must have for a device that is supposed to target enterprises, businessmen and professionals!
    11-13-14 10:23 AM
    I use Google to manage my contacts and the custom fields work perfectly across both my IOS and Android devices. When I sync with BlackBerry they just go into the first available field regardless of the name. This weekend I will do a test to see if my Z30 distinguishes between cell and home numbers and determine if the numbers go in a particular order from both Google and outlook.
    Ahhh, I see now what the OP is saying. GMail allows the creation of Custom fields without issue. IE, I created 4 new phone numbers. Custom1, Custom2, Custom3 and Custom4. They synced to the BB but only showing OTHER. Now if you edit this contact on the BB and save it, the information synced back to the email account over writes the custom fields with only "Other" as the field name stripping out the users customizations. I agree with the OP on this one entirely. BB needs to change this as quickly as possible.

The only thing I could possibly offer as a short term workaround and not permanent, would be to add the additional phone numbers to the account NOTES with the correct names. IE, Cottage = 999 999 9999 and so on. I also sent the developers an email describing the issue as well.

I should also note that I am using 10.3.1.1026
    11-13-14 11:52 AM
    BlackBerry definitely needs to update the Contacts app so that you can add custom fields (i.e. rename 'Other' to whatever you want)
    12-24-14 03:28 PM
    Me too! Drives me up the wall...Though in all fairness it is possible to text landlines now. (depending on whether it's supported by the recipient's carrier)

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 08:34 AM
    BTW, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync doesn't support custom labels. Maybe other third party sync services don't either.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 08:47 PM
    BTW, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync doesn't support custom labels. Maybe other third party sync services don't either.

Posted via CB10
    How do Android and iOS do it then? I thought both used the same protocol.
    12-26-14 08:58 PM
29 12