I mentioned this in the tweaks thread thinking I had experienced a random convergence of events but after updating my Z30 to the latest OS, all data that was on my SD Card has disappeared.

I am in the process of attempting to recover my precious pictures and hopeful from the success I had last time using Card Rescue but I can barely contain my frustration.

*Edit* After a bit of cooling down and testing, I believe I have some results that could help shed light on this problem. I have toned this post down a bit and wish I could change the title to something more productive....

My first test could be caused by a failure of my SD card. I was able to witness the data loss after recording long, long videos which seem to be cut into 1GB pieces. After a while of recording, my phone failed to save a file. When I rebooted, all data was gone. This has happened before where I took a picture and wondered why it wasn't saved and later saw a corrupt file in the camera directory that was corrupt.

*edit*
    With further testing, it seems like BB10 has trouble re-reading a modified FAT. I have been able to lose files or see garbage data by re-partitioning or re-formating the card (quick) on a computer and erasing it on the device. After a reboot corrupted data appears, existing data is lost.

BB10 does not adhere to the conventional partitioning I am used to. I erased about 4MB from the start of the start of the (USB mass storage) card so that fdisk showed no partition table. BB10 formatted the entire disk ie no partitions. I usually see at least 1 primary DOS partition.

KDE is able to mount it nonetheless. Windows Disk Manager doesn't mount it automatically but I assigned a drive letter and it now offers to scan and fix every time I connect the phone. I decline and am able to view and use the FS.

Perhaps this is the cause of the data loss? It looks like I'm getting residual FAT data if I quick format/erase the card on the computer or the device... Full formatting only on a separate system then rebooting the phone with a clean FS and never changing it seems to be the solution.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 06-16-14 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Test results and toned down after cooling off
    06-15-14 06:45 PM
    I've never had a SD card wipe on update..... take a while to index? Yes. But never wipe. It's not a standard operation for updates, something else is clearly going on with your device. What? I dunno but again, a wipe is not normal.
    06-15-14 06:54 PM
    Bad card perhaps; also possibly faulty, off-brand, or lesser known vendor?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 07:01 PM
    Mine has been wiped twice now and everything replaced with the standard BB10 directory structure.

I took it in stride the first time because I thought it could be user error on my part but it happened again. The card is readable on other computers and I recovered most of my data.

What could it be? Even if BB10 didn't like the "look" if my SD card they should at least prompt the user before formatting it.

The OS should ask/tell you that it is going to create a BB10 directory structure the first time you insert a card at the very least.
    06-15-14 07:02 PM
    I'd agree that there should be nothing in an OS update that touches the data on your memory card.

Having said that, there seems to be a good number of folks reporting issues with their Z30 and SD cards.
    Most of them are using 3175 or a 10.3 leak. I wonder if your problem is related?
    06-15-14 07:05 PM
    It's a Transcend 16GB card works just fine as far as I can tell. I did buy it on sale so maybe they were offloading but it still doesn't excuse the fact that the OS does not prompt the user about creating the BB10 directories.
    06-15-14 07:05 PM
    Are you using encryption on the SD card?

Posted via CB10
    Mozdony likes this.
    06-15-14 07:08 PM
    There have been quite a few threads popping up on SD card issues.

I'm now on my third card all with random issues that have led to lost data. All three are fine being read from a PC.

This seems to be a 3175 issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 07:10 PM
    I'm gonna go with dad and say it was encrypted.
    06-15-14 07:18 PM
    It's a Transcend 16GB card works just fine as far as I can tell. I did buy it on sale so maybe they were offloading but it still doesn't excuse the fact that the OS does not prompt the user about creating the BB10 directories.
    When BB10 makes a directory on a card it simply makes new folders. The act of making the folders shouldn't delete the existing ones. Just like if you put a card in a camera you end up with a DCIM folder.
    I don't see much of a need to prompt the user.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 07:23 PM
    It's not encrypted. Regarding creating directories, I agree nothing should be deleted but it evidently is happening. My old point and shoot camera will create a new 10xPANA e.g. 101PANA If 100PANA Already exists.

Maybe it has to do with dates because photos are named by date? Perhaps the system sees the directory or files are incorrectly dated and proceeds to raze them.

I love BB10 and don't want to spread negative press but I wish such issues could be addressed outside of the OS update schedule.
    06-15-14 07:35 PM
    Im going with dad too. Did you encrypt your sd card OP?

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-15-14 07:36 PM
    It's not encrypted. Regarding creating directories, I agree nothing should be deleted but it evidently is happening. My old point and shoot camera will create a new 10xPANA e.g. 101PANA If 100PANA Already exists.

Maybe it has to do with dates because photos are named by date? Perhaps the system sees the directory or files are incorrectly dated and proceeds to raze them.

I love BB10 and don't want to spread negative press but I wish such issues could be addressed outside of the OS update schedule.
    There is nothing in the update process that would do this. The only thing I can see is if the SD Card was corrupted, the device would have seen it as empty storage device and created the folders, possibly overwritting the MFT table (if the card is formatted to FAT/FAT32).
    06-15-14 07:42 PM
    There is nothing in the update process that would do this. The only thing I can see is if the SD Card was corrupted, the device would have seen it as empty storage device and created the folders, possibly overwritting the MFT table (if the card is formatted to FAT/FAT32).
    This is exactly what I think should be corrected. If the OS, for any reason, believes it should format the card, then the user MUST be informed/prompted. This is the convention everywhere.

Even cameras will say "The SD card is not formatted. Format now? "

If the OS thinks the card is corrupt then I would surely like to know. I will conduct a test to see what happens if I have a card formatted in a different file system or even better, an unpartitioned card...
    06-15-14 07:53 PM
    Never had this happened through updates, wipes, bricked autoloader attempts, restoring backups, changing devices, etc.

There have been times at which the device took a while to re-index the card, but never did it actually affect the card's contents.

Just out of curiosity, how did you perform the Z30 update? OTA, using Link (Windows, Mac), autoloader, Sachesi, etc.?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 08:07 PM
    I updated OTA. I turned the Z30 off, put in a Virgin mobile SIM card and "Checked for updates."

The Process completed without issue. In fact the OS told me I could continue using my phone but I didn't. When it was over, I turned it off again, replaced my Wind SIM, rebooted and continued to use my phone.

Today, I wanted to look at a picture I had taken a while back and only my pictures from Friday (when I performed the update) were on the card.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 06-15-14 at 09:04 PM.
    06-15-14 08:28 PM
    It is always good to do complete backups before updates. You also sync your photos to Box. I have had bad wrong dates for pictures in the past I also had some contacts mysteriously lost...
    06-15-14 09:28 PM
    OP are you talking about actual official software updates or clean installs like a restore or loading a leak? It's usually standard procedure for me to remove my SD card before doing any clean installs, I know from my previous tech job where this was our procedure. If it's through an update then this shouldn't be happening.

I know how tough it is to loose data though. May I suggest trying a recovery software called recuva. Worked well for me!

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=8bP70kSk

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 10:06 PM
    If the OS for some reason believed the card was empty/uninitialized and basically re-initialized the filesystem the way spyeagle indicated, then as far as the OS was concerned it was doing a normal/routine operation and it would have no reason to prompt the user whether to perform an SD card format. This is very unfortunate but I could see the possibility of it. If this were the case, a better design would be for the OS to only ever attempt to initialize a user's SD card filesystem on an attempt by the user to browse to it, and then ask for confirmation if the action could not be completed successfully.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    06-15-14 10:19 PM
    Everyone is making some valid points but my concern is the idea that "Formatting" the disk is a routine operation.

I can excuse creating the required directories on an existing file system but formatting should be confirmed with the user by convention.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 06-15-14 at 11:20 PM.
    06-15-14 10:55 PM
    I will ask: you mentioned that you found most or much of your data? How? Where? Was it just there when placed in a pc? Or did you have to use a "card recovery" program to regain the data?

I think a lesson learned might be to either make sure all of your unique data is backed up before any upgrade and/or remove any sd card before performing any upgrade - just a a precaution. Although, as someone suggested, if the phone thinks the card is blank it may just proceed to throw on the initializing folder structure (music, video, books, etc)
    06-15-14 10:58 PM
    I used a recovery program called Card Rescue and found "most" of my data. Naturally, some had been overwritten as some pictures were half-visible.

I'm testing right now and here are some results:

Using Mac disk utility to partition as "Empty Space" had the expected results. BB10 did not recognise the disk. It did not appear in File Manager and in Settings, It said I should format. Good so far.

I used disk utility to partition as a single Mac OS file system and somehow BB10 recognised 0.1GB and seemed to create the directories but it could not use them. Camera would not write to the card. I expected it to act as in the blank case above.

Back on the computer, there seemed to be two partitions... did BB10 create the small one? Anyway, the files I had saved were still present so NP.

I formatted as one FAT partition and put it back in the device. The OS saw the card, wrote it's directories and left my test files untouched. Camera works fine.

I'll keep testing...
    06-15-14 11:41 PM
    I used a recovery program called Card Rescue and found "most" of my data. Naturally, some had been overwritten as some pictures were half-visible.

I'm testing right now and here are some results:

Using Mac disk utility to partition as "Empty Space" had the expected results. BB10 did not recognise the disk. It did not appear in File Manager and in Settings, It said I should format. Good so far.

I used disk utility to partition as a single Mac OS file system and somehow BB10 recognised 0.1GB and seemed to create the directories but it could not use them. Camera would not write to the card. I expected it to act as in the blank case above.

Back on the computer, there seemed to be two partitions... did BB10 create the small one? Anyway, the files I had saved were still present so NP.

I formatted as one FAT partition and put it back in the device. The OS saw the card, wrote it's directories and left my test files untouched. Camera works fine.

I'll keep testing...
    I've never attempted nor thought about partitioning an sd card. although, if I recall, the Sandisk Cruzer thumbdrives were possibly partitioned.
    06-16-14 12:25 AM
    Sweet mother of mary. this just happened to me, and if the recovery software im running doesn't recover my files im gonna lose my shiiiifttt
    06-16-14 03:51 AM
    Bizarre, never had this fortunately on my Z or Q, have you tried Recuva? I've used this with great success in restoring lost files before. I always remove my SD when doing a security wipe or using an autoloader as I don't trust myself, best of luck OP in getting your photos back.

Posted from my Z or Q!
    06-16-14 05:21 AM
38 12