Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-06-14 at 08:37 AM.
    ALToronto and 00stryder like this.
    06-26-13 08:21 AM
    Does this affect the applications that originally installed the audio clips and images, or are they still able to access and use them as normal during their execution?
    06-26-13 09:07 AM
    Seems like it doesn't affect the apps that need the files. Now... if I could only figure out how to clear the photo viewer's thumbnail cache. As of now, the thumbnails still show up but when I tap on them they do not open the corresponding picture.
    06-26-13 11:06 AM
    You can see the .nomedia file with Ghost commander. It seems Blackberry uses the .nomedia file to hide some media files.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    06-26-13 11:32 AM
    Impressive finding. Looking forward for any dev to come up with an app to simplify this process.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    06-26-13 11:53 AM
    What's interesting is that it appears you only have to put it in parent folders, and all files in sub folders under them will be 'hidden'. At least as far as I can tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:59 PM
    piping contents of ls into .nomedia is redundant, contents don't matter. Why not just use "cat /dev/null > <dir_here>/.nomedia" ?
    06-26-13 07:48 PM
    Very interesting, even though I don't keep music on my phone. But I do have a request for a similar solution to the Games app problem.

Some people in this thread may have read the 200+ posts in the "I want to be able to remove the Games app" thread. Currently, if you open a game, the Games app asks you if you want to activate it and participate in the BlackBerry gaming community. Then it writes itself in your BBM profile, and even if you unclick the broadcast option, your BBM contacts can still see the app in your profile.

If you don't want to activate the app, there is no option to keep it from coming up every time you open a game. Would it be possible to hide the games from the Games app until BlackBerry wakes up and allows us to disable it permanently?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 08:01 AM
    I may be mistaken, but I think you can use a simple text editor such as notepad to create a file named ".nomedia" and save it as "All Files" and place it in the folder where you want to hide the media from being indexed into your media apps. There doesn't have to be any content in the file itself.
    06-27-13 09:37 AM
    Couldn't you just take a picture, use file manager to copy it to the directory, and then just rename the file? The file won't be blank... but isn't the programming just checking to see if the filename is there? (not necessarily looking for instructions...)
    06-27-13 10:29 AM
    It works by using playcloud.

I was not able to name or rename anything to .nomedia in the File Manager or any other default phone app. Remember picture files have an extension of .jpg or .png. You are trying to create a file with no name and the extension of .nomedia. I could not do that except with a shell tool or from a PC.
    06-27-13 10:44 AM
    I may be mistaken, but I think you can use a simple text editor such as notepad to create a file named ".nomedia" and save it as "All Files" and place it in the folder where you want to hide the media from being indexed into your media apps. There doesn't have to be any content in the file itself.
    That is what I did and it appears to work. I don't have any music on my Z10 but I have 10 mp3 files of ring tones in a folder on my media card. If I launch the music app it says I have no music. Before, the ring tones would show up.
    06-27-13 02:24 PM
    Or you can just copy and paste the .nomedia file using an ghost commander or any file manager that allows you to view hidden files
    06-27-13 02:28 PM
    Here are a couple of screen shots
    Create .nomedia on your BB10 phone-img_00000012.png

Create .nomedia on your BB10 phone-img_00000013.png

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 02:29 PM
    I just put all of my ringtones into a \BlackBerry\ringtones\ and they never appeared in my music app. I suppose BB10 automatically added the .nomedia file to that folder when I created it, knowing that ringtones wouldn't be wanted in the music app.

What I would like is if the would add "browse ringtones" and "browse music" to the contacts ringtone selection drop down. They have it set up like that in the Notifications settings, but for contacts I have to scroll through ALL of my music to find my ringtones.
    06-27-13 02:44 PM
    I just put all of my ringtones into a \BlackBerry\ringtones\ and they never appeared in my music app. I suppose BB10 automatically added the .nomedia file to that folder when I created it, knowing that ringtones wouldn't be wanted in the music app.

What I would like is if the would add "browse ringtones" and "browse music" to the contacts ringtone selection drop down. They have it set up like that in the Notifications settings, but for contacts I have to scroll through ALL of my music to find my ringtones.
    I had done the same thing and thought that would do it and then I actually checked the music app and they did appear.
    06-27-13 02:58 PM
    No need for ls or cat hacks. Just use touch .nomedia - this command will create an empty file without the need to use other files.

And to see hidden files, use ls -a.

What I would like is if the would add "browse ringtones" and "browse music" to the contacts ringtone selection drop down.
    You've been heard (this is leaked 10.1.0.4537) ;-)
    Attachment 180015

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 02:41 PM