So I am just throwing this out there......

What would people think about a BlackBerry 10 flip phone?
    I have always loved the Style, but since I am with Rogers Wireless, I could never get it.

From what I have read on the forums, people that have the Style love it. Sure BB flopped with some of the software on it, but that happens with every device. I think though, if they would come out with a new flip design, full size keyboard, touch screen, trackpad and buttons, I think people would go for it again. Kind of like a mix of the bold and style.

Just a idea.......
    04-09-12 04:14 PM
    Women might like it. If it's the same size as the current style then the touch screen would be as pointless as it is on the new Bold.
    04-09-12 04:19 PM
    RIM need to move forward not backwards. A flip phone is so '90.
    04-09-12 04:26 PM
    How is the touch screen pointless on the new Bold? I think it's a awesome feature. If you don't need the precision of the trackpad then you have the option of using the touchscreen.
    04-09-12 04:27 PM
    I'd like to see all form factors for the new BB10's. My fav still would be a BB10 Bold type phone *with a touch screen*
    genericscissors2 likes this.
    04-09-12 04:36 PM
    be it there is a market for flips i don't think RIM is going to focus on another one anytime soon. The Pearl Flip and Style where VERY niche heavy phones and right now RIM needs to focus the bigger picture.

i don't see how a touch screen on the Style would work in terms of usefulness. If you hold a style in your hand, opened, its very awkward. just to take a picture you have to slant the phone. if it was a vertical hinge instead of an angled one maybe a touch screen would work
    04-09-12 04:50 PM
    No. Just no. RIM wants BB10 phones to be taken seriously, it still baffles me that people suggest a BB10 curve as that would devalue the brand, a flip phone version would be even worse. Sorry if this is a little harsh but I think if people want BB10 to succeed they've got to leave behind some parts of old BB that appeal to people's sensibilities rather than their business sense...
    04-09-12 05:05 PM
    I doubt it would happen.
    Even though it could be unique for one to be a long narrow flip, and it can flip all the way around to being presented as a touch screen.
    But again, highly doubtful a flip would come.
    04-09-12 05:22 PM
    No. Just no. RIM wants BB10 phones to be taken seriously, it still baffles me that people suggest a BB10 curve as that would devalue the brand, a flip phone version would be even worse. Sorry if this is a little harsh but I think if people want BB10 to succeed they've got to leave behind some parts of old BB that appeal to people's sensibilities rather than their business sense...
    just as a counter argument...

the BBCurve is great for upcoming markets. The student population loves the Curve as it is, basically, the same as a Bold but at a cheaper price. Google is doing the same for their Android OS and are making a killing. RIM needs to get into this market as well they cant survive solely on the customers that can afford a 600$ phone over a 400$ phone.
    04-09-12 05:32 PM
    Women might like it. If it's the same size as the current style then the touch screen would be as pointless as it is on the new Bold.
    1: I know many men, myself included who'd like it, I think a full featured flip phone is perfect for the construction industry and military if marketed and priced right
    2: The touchscreen on the New Bold is very useful, I use it all the time for navigating across large documents, or pinch zooming, or for onscreen app enhancements like in the camera app,

The Flipphone fell out of favor because no one kept up with feature sets, and technology, there is still users of flip phones, I actually still have an active style only because it is a flipphone so it is the perfect boating/camping phone,

Lots of markets could use a quality flip phone with full features, but it isn't a sexy device, and would need an OS built with keyboards in mind, currently only RIM does that.

I'd like to see all form factors for the new BB10's. My fav still would be a BB10 Bold type phone *with a touch screen*
    Agreed
    I have written much about how many form factors should be on BB10, and why I think each has a place,
    I would buy a qwerty flip and a Bold form factor BB10 device on opening day
    04-09-12 06:38 PM
    I agree with deRusset.

I know many people that stick with one style of BB throughout because they like that type.

Now with RIM knowing what they did wrong with the Style, they could come back and make a pretty killer flip phone. I see how some could say the touch screen would be awkward, flip phones do have a weird angle to them, but why not just have it there? Another tool in the tool box.

I know more then likely RIM has no ambition to come out with another flip anytime soon because they are too focused on hoping on the consumer bandwagon as opposed to what they originated in, but that is a argument for another day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using the CB App!
    04-09-12 07:11 PM
    Just come out with a phone that knocks the socks off the competition.
    04-09-12 11:32 PM
    Flip BB may not be such a bad idea.
    People tend to dismiss flip phones because of now rampant and ubiquitous full touch screen phones. Besides, the flip phone image is doubled with the past ghost in a feature phone era such as Moto Razr etc.
    As I understand it (and often see it on TV), most of Japanese smart phones are flip phones. It has something close to 4" screen. Japanese phones display myriad of things yet they need full featured keyboard to type out complicated Japanese characters and alphabets (double bytes). In order to get the necessary real estate, I can see why flip phones are popular there.

If the full size screen and a physical keyboard is needed, I believe the flip phone is so much better than the slide out keyboard style like Torch.

if executed well, I would be interested in BB flip phone.
    04-09-12 11:52 PM
    Yes you're right... crazy idea.

Lool. If they were to make one it better not look like the style. It would have to blow my socks off. Just like how the blade did when I first saw it.
    04-09-12 11:56 PM
    Full-sized keyboard (at least the same size as the 99**) and a decent size touch screen that I can flip closed and throw in my pocket without worrying about the screen getting trashed, I'd love it. It would not matter if it's a little larger than a straight candybar when opened, because it'll be smaller when it's closed. I would definitely jump on that.
    04-10-12 12:01 AM
    Full-sized keyboard (at least the same size as the 99**) and a decent size touch screen that I can flip closed and throw in my pocket without worrying about the screen getting trashed, I'd love it. It would not matter if it's a little larger than a straight candybar when opened, because it'll be smaller when it's closed. I would definitely jump on that.
    the proportion it would probably be is about 10% shorter when closed, 70-80% longer when open

thickness should be about 18mm at the thickest point, and the device needs to be one of 2 things,
    Built like a Rock, to be marketed as a Construction/ Military / Blue Collar work phone
    OR
    Built for style with shiny accents, refined materials, and as light weight sleek lined as possible,

IF I was in charge I'd go for the former because I can see that market has nothing of quality in it,
    04-10-12 12:18 AM
    the proportion it would probably be is about 10% shorter when closed, 70-80% longer when open

thickness should be about 18mm at the thickest point, and the device needs to be one of 2 things,
    Built like a Rock, to be marketed as a Construction/ Military / Blue Collar work phone
    OR
    Built for style with shiny accents, refined materials, and as light weight sleek lined as possible,

IF I was in charge I'd go for the former because I can see that market has nothing of quality in it,
    Yeah, definitely should be built like a brick, but not so heavy-duty utilitarian as to look like a tool box.

I'd also like to add that it would need to be better balanced when opened than the Torch (i.e., not as top-heavy).
    04-10-12 12:27 AM
    Yeah, definitely should be built like a brick, but not so heavy-duty utilitarian as to look like a tool box.

I'd also like to add that it would need to be better balanced when opened than the Torch (i.e., not as top-heavy).
    the current style, made slightly longer, by about 3mm when closed, could accommodate a much larger screen with improved technology,
    I'd like to see the device back made of the same "rubber" material the PlayBook has, with a rubber gasket around the keyboard half of the device so when closed it is near water tight

look at the Kyocera DuraMax as an example of the durability I'd like to see from the flip phone, but larger size, and maybe a bit more flare
    04-10-12 12:42 AM
    I think this is the issue. While a flip phone might be a good idea (and may be the next big thing), RIM faces a huge PR problem. They almost definitely cannot afford to make a step that looks like they are going backwards, even if it is indeed moving forwards.

RIM next step needs to be showing the world that they can compete in the new world of touchscreen smartphones with strong ecosystems, and only after they have gained that credibility, will they be able to experiment to that extent.
    04-10-12 06:17 AM
    Any artist here? Show me a concept.
    04-10-12 06:29 AM
    A concept would be a cool idea.

Glad to see I am not the only one with crazy ideas out there. I am just so gung for a flip phone because they are a no worry, simple working phone. Yeah yeah I know, why get a BB then. BB has always been the company with so many different options.

Only time will tell what they will come out with.
    04-10-12 03:04 PM
    Ask Nokia how well flip phones are working for them

Flip is dead and gone for right now.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    04-10-12 06:42 PM
    just as a counter argument...

the BBCurve is great for upcoming markets. The student population loves the Curve as it is, basically, the same as a Bold but at a cheaper price. Google is doing the same for their Android OS and are making a killing. RIM needs to get into this market as well they cant survive solely on the customers that can afford a 600$ phone over a 400$ phone.
    I understand that but that doesn't mean a curve BB10 phone needs to be created. By the time BB10 launches, the 9900 can be sold as cheaply as the curve is now. After a year or two after BB10 has been launched, the original BB10 phone can be used as a cheap phone for developing markets/students.

A curve phone consumes resources unnecessarily when older, already developed models can be used. A flip phone is even worse as it consumes resources and it doesn't even appeal to the numbers that curves do at least.
    04-10-12 07:04 PM
    I understand that but that doesn't mean a curve BB10 phone needs to be created. By the time BB10 launches, the 9900 can be sold as cheaply as the curve is now. After a year or two after BB10 has been launched, the original BB10 phone can be used as a cheap phone for developing markets/students.

A curve phone consumes resources unnecessarily when older, already developed models can be used. A flip phone is even worse as it consumes resources and it doesn't even appeal to the numbers that curves do at least.
    But that bastardized the App market, and app development, something RIM needs to fix,

RIM can't use BB7 devices in any key developed markets as second tier devices, they NEED second tier BB10 devices
    04-10-12 07:22 PM
    Nah. Keep it simple. People who used the Style thought it was nice, but everyone else thought it was the most hideous thing that has ever come out of RIM. They should stick to a Torch design, a Bold design and a full touch.
    04-10-12 07:33 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD