A while back Blackberry posted on their blog and their developer website that the future screen resolutions will be: 1280x720 and 720x720. The Z10 is the only one that will have 1280x768. See this posting here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...een_sizes.html

and an explanation here:

Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog.

Engadget, has just recently posted that Thorsten said BB devices will keep the same resolutions which contridicts blackberry's website:

BlackBerry sticking with 4.2- and 3.1-inch screen sizes, resolutions for next wave of BB10 devices

Further, Crackberry said that the 4.2 inch size screen was carefully chosen by BB designers. That's not true if future screens are going to have a different dimension.

Anyone care to comment on the implications this all has. As far as I can tell, it implies future BB X models have taller or slimmer screens and software designed for it will not work will with the x10.
    01-31-13 05:17 PM
    You're complaining about a better display? You want 720>768? I fail to see the logic here?
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    01-31-13 05:21 PM
    No complaints. I plan to buy the BB when it comes to the states. Their's misinformation floating around and I'd like to know if blackberry intends to keep it's 'intentionally chosen' 4.2 inch display or scrap that for a different resolution/size in the future potentially fragmenting software developed for the platform. What Thorsten said at the q&a at the end of the presentation conflicts with what is posted on the blackberry website.
    01-31-13 05:33 PM
    You're complaining about a better display? You want 720>768? I fail to see the logic here?
    Lost on me also, maybe he was looking for a "gotcha" moment.
    01-31-13 05:35 PM
    Uum... You do realize that screen resolution and screen size are two different things, right?
    01-31-13 05:44 PM
    Umm.. CrackBerry can't be wrong about a quote that came from the designer of the phone. We talked about BlackBerry choosing the 4.2" display as a sweet spot for one-handed and two handed use.

Of course, that's all opinion. Apple thinks there 4" display is ideal. Samsung thinks 4.5" is best.

A big part of it is based on the size of your hands. A lot of iPhone owners even think the 4" display is now too big for them to use comfortably with one hand.

BlackBerry said before the resolution would change for future models on apps... doesn't change what they said about the Z10 and picking a 4.2" display.
    goku_vegeta and rishio like this.
    01-31-13 05:45 PM
    No complaints. I plan to buy the BB when it comes to the states. Their's misinformation floating around and I'd like to know if blackberry intends to keep it's 'intentionally chosen' 4.2 inch display or scrap that for a different resolution/size in the future potentially fragmenting software developed for the platform. What Thorsten said at the q&a at the end of the presentation conflicts with what is posted on the blackberry website.
    BlackBerry cannot commit to anything. Good thing BlackBerry is not a person seeking marriage.
    rishio likes this.
    01-31-13 05:51 PM
    But wouldn't a 1280x720 resolution imply that the successor to the x10 will have a different display dimension? For example, if they want to retain the same width as the x10 screen, the screen would have to be taller. I'm not complaining - just wondering which way they are headed. Are they keeping the 1280x768 resolution as the ceo said at the q&a according to engadget or are they moving to 1280x720 as it says on the blackberry website. I'm a little worried about the system being fragmented in the future. I already had enough of that on android.

Umm.. CrackBerry can't be wrong about a quote that came from the designer of the phone. We talked about BlackBerry choosing the 4.2" display as a sweet spot for one-handed and two handed use.

Of course, that's all opinion. Apple thinks there 4" display is ideal. Samsung thinks 4.5" is best.

A big part of it is based on the size of your hands. A lot of iPhone owners even think the 4" display is now too big for them to use comfortably with one hand.

BlackBerry said before the resolution would change for future models on apps... doesn't change what they said about the Z10 and picking a 4.2" display.
    01-31-13 06:02 PM
    Well I think blackbery made a call to stick with 1,280 x 768 rather than go with 1,280 x 720, (which was the orginal plan for other touchscreen BB10 after the z10). You have to remember the z10 was already in the works before Heins took over and 1,280 x 768 was already set for the device that would become the z10. I think if Heins was in charge when the z10 was being develop it would have ended up with 1,280 x 720, but he realize that the z10 was too far in development to make too many changes in already delayed device.
    amjass12 likes this.
    01-31-13 06:05 PM
    BlackBerry cannot commit to anything. Good thing BlackBerry is not a person seeking marriage.
    Why are you here?
    schmeat, mark37724 and cjcampbell like this.
    01-31-13 06:14 PM
    Hope you are right. If that is the case, they should update the developer website which says otherwise. Using 1280x720 was posted in the blog middle of last year.

I'd personally prefer they stick with 16x10 ration that 1280x768 is. I also don't like the idea of them switching screen resolutions when they just launched it at 16x10.

Well I think blackbery made a call to stick with 1,280 x 768 rather than go with 1,280 x 720, (which was the orginal plan for other touchscreen BB10 after the z10). You have to remember the z10 was already in the works before Heins took over and 1,280 x 768 was already set for the device that would become the z10. I think if Heins was in charge when the z10 was being develop it would have ended up with 1,280 x 720, but he realize that the z10 was too far in development to make too many changes in already delayed device.
    01-31-13 06:37 PM
    I used it today at phones for you, and it fits perfectly in the hand.... I'm not saying that as a bb fan... it really is a nice screen size... a lot of real estate for that lovely os, display, active frames , hub etc.. easy navigation with the bezel around, but not so big that its slightly akward like the note.. and again this is not cos I'm a bb fan... the note is just huge.. fact.. lool

very little reaching to do at any given point.. ie, I only had to move my hand once to swipe down from top.. but i have small hands anyway lool... and the grip at the back offers a permanant lock that allows ur fingers to navigate flawlessy without the phone slipping...

I would most definetely agree that the screen size of 4.2 and the overall size of the phone is defo the sweet spot...

edit... I misread your initial post cos was more answering the title of your thread lool....
    rishio likes this.
    01-31-13 06:51 PM
    Turns out I was wrong - BB did get it right with the 15:9 ratio 1280x768 4.2" screen. According to Nokia research, “The 15:9 aspect ratio was an intentional choice because we felt that it provided the best balance between touch usability and how much content you can see on the screen,” explains Jussi Ropo, Nokia’s Senior Technology Manager. “You don’t need a long thumb to reach the upper corner, so you can use it with one hand.”

Now I hope BB voids their post on the Blackberry website and sticks with 1280x768 rather than moving to 1280x720. Perhaps a better decision would be moving the 720x720 on the Q10 to 768x768.
    02-01-13 11:24 AM
    i think your confusing screen size with screen resolution and aspect ratios. 1280x768 (or 720) could be on a 4.2" screen like the Z10, or on a 10" screen. size and res dont go hand in hand.

as an example the lumia 900 was 480x800 pixels and its a 4.3" screen. the BB 9860 is also 480x800 pixels but its a 3.7" screen.
    02-01-13 11:38 AM
    No I'm not confusing screen size with resolution. I think the confusion is that i'm using the wrong terminology. I actually mean screen dimensions rather than diagonal screen size. No matter how you slice it, if BB 10 was 1280x720, the screen would have to be either thinner or taller. That would change the usability of the device. If it's thinner, two-thumb typing would be comprised. If it's taller, it would be harder to stretch your thumb to reach the top of the screen. The resolution affects the screen size.

The issue here is that crackberry posted RIM saying that their current screen design was chosen because it was optimal for both one hand and two hand use. That directly contridicts BB's website where they are saying the optimal resolution is 1280x720 which all future devices would have. If 1280x720 is the optimal resolution, than the screen would be different dimensions and usability would be different than it is today.

Hopefully what Thornsten said at the Q&A - about the future devices using 1280x768 - hopefully that holds because Nokia supports the claim that a 15:9 1280x768 resolution allows for a more optimal screen size than a 16:9 1280x720 could provide.

They really should update their developer website so developers don't build applications with a black strip on the border to be compatible with what BB claims will be future blackberry devices.

i think your confusing screen size with screen resolution and aspect ratios. 1280x768 (or 720) could be on a 4.2" screen like the Z10, or on a 10" screen. size and res dont go hand in hand.

as an example the lumia 900 was 480x800 pixels and its a 4.3" screen. the BB 9860 is also 480x800 pixels but its a 3.7" screen.
    02-01-13 11:46 AM
    No I'm not confusing screen size with resolution. I think the confusion is that i'm using the wrong terminology. I actually mean screen dimensions rather than diagonal screen size. No matter how you slice it, if BB 10 was 1280x720, the screen would have to be either thinner or taller. That would change the usability of the device. If it's thinner, two-thumb typing would be comprised. If it's taller, it would be harder to stretch your thumb to reach the top of the screen. The resolution affects the screen size.

The issue here is that crackberry posted RIM saying that their current screen design was chosen because it was optimal for both one hand and two hand use. That directly contridicts BB's website where they are saying the optimal resolution is 1280x720 which all future devices would have. If 1280x720 is the optimal resolution, than the screen would be different dimensions and usability would be different than it is today.

Hopefully what Thornsten said at the Q&A - about the future devices using 1280x768 - hopefully that holds because Nokia supports the claim that a 15:9 1280x768 resolution allows for a more optimal screen size than a 16:9 1280x720 could provide.

They really should update their developer website so developers don't build applications with a black strip on the border to be compatible with what BB claims will be future blackberry devices.
    Too bad you are wrong anyway. You don't ned to change the screen size to put a 1280x720 Resolution, the only thing that you would need to change is pixel density, or PPI "pixels per inch"

Please read a bit before talking about things you clearly don't know.
    02-01-13 12:02 PM
    The Aristo (codename) is rumored to have a 1280 x 720 (vs 768 on Z10) resolution but on a 4.6 inch screen (vs 4.2 inch on Z10) - so it will have a lower PPI resolution due to a larger screen.

Again, it's rumored.

The Q10 has a 720x720 resolution by the way.
    02-01-13 12:14 PM
    So your are saying a 720x720 screen on the Q10 can be the same dimension as the screen on the Z10. very smart. Please understand that a 15:9 screen will have different usability than a 16:9 screen.

>>Too bad you are wrong anyway. You don't ned to change the screen size to put a 1280x720 Resolution, the only thing that you would need to change is pixel density, or PPI "pixels per inch"

<<
    02-01-13 12:15 PM
    Yah, size does not have anything to do with resolution. They can be done independently, and are connected by ppi. Honestly though, the 15:9/16:10 is what I prefer. It's what the PB has, and I love it the way it is. I don't want a lightsaber like the iPhone.
    02-01-13 12:21 PM
    A while back Blackberry posted on their blog and their developer website that the future screen resolutions will be: 1280x720 and 720x720. The Z10 is the only one that will have 1280x768. See this posting here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...een_sizes.html

and an explanation here:

Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog.

Engadget, has just recently posted that Thorsten said BB devices will keep the same resolutions which contridicts blackberry's website:

BlackBerry sticking with 4.2- and 3.1-inch screen sizes, resolutions for next wave of BB10 devices

Further, Crackberry said that the 4.2 inch size screen was carefully chosen by BB designers. That's not true if future screens are going to have a different dimension.

Anyone care to comment on the implications this all has. As far as I can tell, it implies future BB X models have taller or slimmer screens and software designed for it will not work will with the x10.
    The Engadget article must be misquoting Thorsten. It's been said time and time again that the future screen resolutions will be 1280x720 and 720x720. However, screen sizes (dimensions) will vary. For example, all touch may be 4" to 4.5" screens. As said above, this will result in changes to each phone's PPI. The only confusion here is in Engadget's article and your seeming interpretation that screen dimensions and resolutions are bound together.
    02-01-13 12:24 PM
    So your are saying a 720x720 screen on the Q10 can be the same dimension as the screen on the Z10. very smart. Please understand that a 15:9 screen will have different usability than a 16:9 screen.

>>Too bad you are wrong anyway. You don't ned to change the screen size to put a 1280x720 Resolution, the only thing that you would need to change is pixel density, or PPI "pixels per inch"

<<
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that a 4,2" screen can have a 1280x768 or a 1280x720 resolution by ONLY changing the pixel density. A letter box screen like the one on the Q10 can have a 768x768 or a 720x720 for the same reason.

The difference between the screen on the Q10 and the Z10 it's not only their sizes but their ratios. The one on the Q10 is a letter box type 1:1, and the Z100 one is a wide screen type 16:9

Any other question?
    02-01-13 12:28 PM
    Found the (rumored) specs for the next BlackBerry full touch. Seems to be 1280 x 720 with a 4.6 in. screen. Hopefully they stick to the 4.2 inch as well.

02-01-13 12:29 PM
    The difference in 48 pixels and 15:9 to 16:9 is almost nothing. No need for an argument over it. And frankly, these are completely outside our - individual - control.

Simply discuss the number of pixels and the implications that may have when developing applications. If there's a possibility of 720 devices and 768 devices, then code accordingly.
    02-01-13 12:42 PM
    I would expect that since any new model will be released with the intention of expanding the market for bb10 devices then we will see different sizes in the future e.g. something around the 5" mark would not be suitable for one-handed use but it would be enough of a change that it would attract another segment of the market to a bb10 device that did not like the 4.2" model.

Realistically, there is not one single ideal size as people have different size hands, but if they are going to promote how quickly you can use the device even when using it one-handed it does oblige them to try and fit somewhere in that range of sizes that would suit as many people as possible.
    02-01-13 01:12 PM
    Not going to go read all the linked stuff, but just reiterate that only the first all-touch device (Z10) will be 1280x768 and the future ones will be 1280x720. If you're seeing something different, I believe it's either temporary content that will change in future once those devices are available, or a misinterpretation by you or a journalist of something Heins may have said, or even just a mis-statement by him (highly unlikely).

If this changes, developers will probably hear about it before you in this case... and we've had no updates to change the previous communication that says what I just said...
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    02-01-13 03:21 PM
30 12