What I would like to see is some type of survey functionality. I think their was an app called InQuery for BBM but I never really got to play with it on BB7 before switching over to my Z10.
    I think something like this would definitely appeal to some users. For example, a lot of entertainers use BBM to promote their upcoming events. I'd imagine that some smaller / more personal businesses also utilize BBM to keep in touch and update customers. I'm sure they would both appreciate some sort of survey / questionnaire functionality. I wouldn't mind it myself as long as it wasn't too intrusive or disruptive to my own BBM experience. Maybe a simple opt-in or invite system would strike the right balance. An automatically generated status message could show that John Smith is currently conducting a survey - click here to participate. Clicking the link or accepting the invite could trigger the service to send the survey / questionnaire through BBM - to be completed in BBM. I'd be happy with that. The results could then be processed in app and the creator could use this data to populate some simple graphs / charts. These results along with a brief summary could be sent out to the participants (if desired) through a simple BBM message containing either a link or the page itself. It could work quite well if it was developed and fleshed out a bit more.
    03-26-13 10:12 PM
    I need contacts before I can judge BBM
    03-26-13 10:24 PM
    I really like this idea and had hoped it would be possible with BBM10 after we saw that leaked promo video of the Keep Moving project. Turns out it was for Screen Share (which is already pretty cool) but I definitely think something like this would be a step up on that. BlackBerry have Docs to Go which is already pretty robust - but a real time collaboration mode tied into BBM Video / Screen Share could be a real winner. No doubt it would be a tough one to pull off technically - as a secure connection would have to be established and some sort of mechanism put in place so that the real time editing didn't get too messy - but a lot of the necessary systems are in working in other parts of the OS. For example we already have an elegant solution for flowing BBM conversations - with the 'is typing a message' that is shown when the other person is responding (something sadly lacking from some other IM clients). Mirroring that functionality for a collaboration mode could translate as 'John Smith is modifying text on Line 29' or something along those lines.

Alternatively, the editing could be handled as a turn based system, where only one participant of the collaboration group could modify text at any given time - then submit it to the other users, almost like a real time group (similar to your suggestion). Other collaboration participants could then view the changes and choose to go into 'edit mode' themselves. This would reduce the impact of things like network lag / speed on the 'real time' element of it all.

Throw in a PlayBook bluetooth keyboard and an HDMI cable and you've got yourself a full real time editing suite on your big screen TV - all served up by your Z10 / Q10. I can see the students going wild for that one - especially when it comes to group work on the move.

Love the idea. Keep them coming!
    Exactly my thinking. I month ago I was working on an event project with a few people and it was annoying having to keep going to my laptop to access the google docs and edit documents. We all had BBs so if this was possible, it would've been amazing being able to edit documents on the go, while on the bus, etc and having it all consolidated within the group, with the ability to export/share the documents. I was proposing just simply being able to have the documents consolidated within the BBM group and each member able to take turns editing it.

After reading your thoughts, your idea about the real-time editing has actually caught my interest. At first i thought that with screen share it wasn't really necessary but now I realize you're proposing a solution where both users look at one document simultaneously and can edit together on the fly in real-time. I think this can definitely be a useful tool. I know often I'll be on speakerphone with someone as i'm proof-reading or editing a document. And being able to talk to them while they see what I see and what I'm editing, would be of great value to me. I don't even think it would take very much to implement. BBM can already tell when somebody is writing a message or read a message, on the fly. The document would be a universal BBM group document that all parties would automatically have downloaded onto their devices or in the cloud. So essentially they would be accessing the same document almost independently on each device, with the exception that when edits are made on one, it is automatically sent over to the other and the edits are implemented. I see this feature being used more for brainstorming and proof-reading type of work instead of full-on report writing. But this would certainly be amazing.
    Mr_F likes this.
    03-27-13 12:23 AM
    I've always wondered about the merits / advantages of this. When Skype was announced a lot of people were calling for it to be native and routed through BBM / BBM Video. Not shooting down the idea or anything - but what would be the advantage of something like that? Especially with how the Hub operates now - you'd imagine that Skype would (in time) get it's own designated tab in the Hub, allowing you to message invoke Skype and message back straight away (without having the app itself open) just like you can with BBM / Facebook / Twitter.

I'm genuinely interested in hearing about the benefits of it - if anyone else wants to chime in that is...
    When running multiple Messenger . each messenger will need to communicate with own server to the mobile, thus more battery will be depleted over time

However , if its integrated and pushed pulled from BBM server side . It will greatly reduce the need to ping every single messenger , and can be managed Server side and pushed/answered to Mobile side. Always online will not take up so much power because the mobile only uses BBM to connect to server . Just a thought. When I am on the road , in another town especially, I want to be connected, but I wont accept phone calls. Without the risk of flat battery. Like The android phone i used, its carrying a huge powerbank . And charging a powerbank is a pain extra battery is also very troublesome. I love the Z 10 solution, good job.

I personally will be pretty happy with just text from Skype. Can always turn on skype if the party wishes to discuss in skype.

I never had success chatting in BBM video or voice so far .. I beg for so many friends to chat with me , always could no find the right conditions. Unlucky
    Last edited by Anthony Antakusuma; 03-27-13 at 01:54 AM.
    Mr_F likes this.
    03-27-13 01:39 AM
    Unlikely scenario but if BBM could integrate whatsapp, fbchat, line, skype, wechat into it, then, I bet BB would become the ultimate chatting phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 01:57 AM
    Exactly my thinking. I month ago I was working on an event project with a few people and it was annoying having to keep going to my laptop to access the google docs and edit documents. We all had BBs so if this was possible, it would've been amazing being able to edit documents on the go, while on the bus, etc and having it all consolidated within the group, with the ability to export/share the documents. I was proposing just simply being able to have the documents consolidated within the BBM group and each member able to take turns editing it.

After reading your thoughts, your idea about the real-time editing has actually caught my interest. At first i thought that with screen share it wasn't really necessary but now I realize you're proposing a solution where both users look at one document simultaneously and can edit together on the fly in real-time. I think this can definitely be a useful tool. I know often I'll be on speakerphone with someone as i'm proof-reading or editing a document. And being able to talk to them while they see what I see and what I'm editing, would be of great value to me. I don't even think it would take very much to implement. BBM can already tell when somebody is writing a message or read a message, on the fly. The document would be a universal BBM group document that all parties would automatically have downloaded onto their devices or in the cloud. So essentially they would be accessing the same document almost independently on each device, with the exception that when edits are made on one, it is automatically sent over to the other and the edits are implemented. I see this feature being used more for brainstorming and proof-reading type of work instead of full-on report writing. But this would certainly be amazing.
    I am already doing this with Dropbox now..And I would only limit to minimal editing job .

Z 10 have one of the most readable , concise document and email reader . Kudos !
    03-27-13 02:04 AM
    If you have insider information about Unicorn Apocalypse, please tell us!

In all seriousness though, you certainly have some valid points. BBM isn't as unique or competitive a messaging platform as it once was, nor is it a reason for the majority in some parts of the world to purchase a BlackBerry.Then again, BB10 isn't very much alike the previous BBOS either. It really does offer a compelling argument to choose BlackBerry for a lot of people in the next year or two as more fad social apps/games become available. Comparing the devices owned by most current BB users to the competing handsets of even two years ago is clearly not going to come out with BB on top for most., but I think you might change your mind if you tried out the Z10.

In regards to the OP, I personally don't have more than a handful of BBM contacts left, but even just having my wife as one is a tremendous asset and adds a lot of functionality simply unavailable on other platforms currently. However, despite welcoming any improvements made to communication and productivity, I'm not a typical smartphone user and a social universe attached to BBM wouldn't really make a difference to me. I can certainly see where this could potentially create some 'stickiness' in the platform among the social apps/games crowd though, just like a proper physical keyboard and BBM create that for me.
    Exactly, bolstering BBM would only increase its �stickiness� � that�s got to be the ultimate aim of any new additions. Many former BlackBerry users will quite happily disclose that the one thing they really miss about using a BlackBerry is BBM. Granted things like WhatsApp and FB messenger have nullified any edge BBM may have had � but building on top of what BBM is currently could be a good way to lock in newcomers to the platform.

BBM kept many using BlackBerry devices long after they ceased being competitive (against other phones) � so I see no reason why it cannot be the hook for the current generation of BlackBerry newcomers � providing they elevate it to more than just a simple messaging client. As you�ve stated, BB10 fares well against other platforms (apps selection permitting) - so people will be attracted to the devices more so than in previous years. The next step surely has to be to lock them into the BlackBerry ecosystem � just as Apple have been doing (excellently may I add) since the introduction of the iPhone. Retention rates need to be higher and I think expanding the BBM experience (whilst improving other areas such as the app selection) could make significant strides towards achieving it.
    03-27-13 02:08 PM
    I fully agree � I�d definitely be in favor of something like this coming to BBM. I�ve been in a similar situation to you re BBM screen sharing � so having some kind of real-time edit mode would be invaluable to me also. I think it would add real value to BBM and something that would be of benefit to both the casual user (ie students) and the more professional user (ie the use case you described). The best thing is it doesn�t sound too far-fetched or unfeasible. Let�s hope BlackBerry are looking to implement something like this in the future.
    03-27-13 02:12 PM
    When running multiple Messenger . each messenger will need to communicate with own server to the mobile, thus more battery will be depleted over time

However , if its integrated and pushed pulled from BBM server side . It will greatly reduce the need to ping every single messenger , and can be managed Server side and pushed/answered to Mobile side. Always online will not take up so much power because the mobile only uses BBM to connect to server . Just a thought. When I am on the road , in another town especially, I want to be connected, but I wont accept phone calls. Without the risk of flat battery. Like The android phone i used, its carrying a huge powerbank . And charging a powerbank is a pain extra battery is also very troublesome. I love the Z 10 solution, good job.

I personally will be pretty happy with just text from Skype. Can always turn on skype if the party wishes to discuss in skype.

I never had success chatting in BBM video or voice so far .. I beg for so many friends to chat with me , always could no find the right conditions. Unlucky
    Thanks for the explanation.

I think this is how the Hub works currently. The IM clients do not need to be open to receive messages – as long as they utilize the push APIs (which many, if not all do). All the data gets pushed to the Hub and shows up as a notification. Clicking on this notification can either open the app to respond or invoke the app reply screen directly in the Hub itself. So the functionality (and benefits) you described is already present by my reckoning (unless I’ve misunderstood what you said).
    03-27-13 04:25 PM
    Unlikely scenario but if BBM could integrate whatsapp, fbchat, line, skype, wechat into it, then, I bet BB would become the ultimate chatting phone.

Posted via CB10
    They might have a few problems getting permission from the developers to do that. I’m sure many devs (having taken the time to design a UI) would want you using their respective apps as opposed to having it all go through BBM and the end user not knowing which service they were essentially using. Also, how would things like in app advertising work (if the respective app used it that is) if it was all re-skinned under the BBM UI? Could get a bit tricky – so I agree, it’s unlikely to happen.

But – is what you suggested not similar to how the Hub works? In that it is one place where all of your IM clients are routed through the same interface, using the invocation framework?
    03-27-13 04:28 PM
60 123