Walt Mossberg has an interesting post about coming to the realization that apps are hitting a wall.
    Mossberg: I just deleted half my iPhone apps ? you should too | The Verge
    I feel like BB10 users have been in this boat from the beginning and only seems a shame that Blackberry is investing in Android while BB10 can easily do most tasks. Could this mark a shift in the next few cycles that could reopen the door for BB10 devices?
    deadcowboy likes this.
    07-25-16 06:50 AM
    Sure everyone could delete some of there apps....

Doesn't mean that suddenly the other half they are using will show up for BB10. Is FaceBook going to start working, will Instagram?
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-25-16 07:18 AM
    Good points. I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic this morning. I really do think BB10 is still a solid contender if you just consider the base OS. Hindsight has me wishing they'd just hired devs like Nemory to build apps for the big name brands instead of waiting for the brands to say no. Leverage the developers that really use, and enjoy the OS, to further your reach.
    07-25-16 08:11 AM
    Good points. I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic this morning. I really do think BB10 is still a solid contender if you just consider the base OS. Hindsight has me wishing they'd just hired devs like Nemory to build apps for the big name brands instead of waiting for the brands to say no. Leverage the developers that really use, and enjoy the OS, to further your reach.
    Except Nemory apps are in violation of the original's ToS. Like Cobalt's tools, they can never be made official, or supported by BlackBerry.

Unless APIs are made public (which, as an example, Facebook has withdrawn theirs), you are not permitted to build an app that requires reverse engineering.
    07-25-16 08:45 AM
    Unfortunately the way the tide is running the days when third party applications were an option are coming to an end. Facebook has closed their API. A small developer may escape court action for infringement as long as they stay under the radar, but a corporation never would.

And there are good reasons for this. If you look at the feature set that Facebook is bringing to Messenger with an understanding that failure of an application, even a third party application, would reflect badly on Facebook, their move to stop third party implementation is natural. The SnapChat effect.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    07-25-16 08:49 AM
    Except Nemory apps are in violation of the original's ToS. Like Cobalt's tools, they can never be made official, or supported by BlackBerry.

Unless APIs are made public (which, as an example, Facebook has withdrawn theirs), you are not permitted to build an app that requires reverse engineering.
    Sorry, wasn't meaning in their current states. I meant it would have been nice if BlackBerry could have outsourced building official apps to developers that had already been successful. Sit down with the FBs and Netflix of the world and learn the APIs, but have the seasoned BB10 vet take on the app with BB funding. A complete "back to the future" theoretical at this point...unless Chen does a complete turn around about BB10. (which I don't think will happen)
    07-25-16 09:08 AM
    Sorry, wasn't meaning in their current states. I meant it would have been nice if BlackBerry could have outsourced building official apps to developers that had already been successful. Sit down with the FBs and Netflix of the world and learn the APIs, but have the seasoned BB10 vet take on the app with BB funding. A complete "back to the future" theoretical at this point...unless Chen does a complete turn around about BB10. (which I don't think will happen)
    At launch, BlackBerry offered cash, developers, and app support to the big apps. There were very few takers.
    07-25-16 09:12 AM
    At launch, BlackBerry offered cash, developers, and app support to the big apps. There were very few takers.
    Because BlackBerry had android runtime. If they wouldn't, there would have been many good native apps I think. But it's too late.
    allen832008 likes this.
    07-25-16 09:17 AM
    Because BlackBerry had android runtime. If they wouldn't, there would have been many good native apps I think. But it's too late.
    If Netflix and Instagram did not bother to take 5 minutes to port their already working Android apps to BBW, do you think they would have built new native apps from the ground up?
    07-25-16 09:22 AM
    But that's the problem... people don't buy just a base OS. They look at the hardware, and they just expect the apps to be there.

The time to work with developers was back when the PlayBook launched... Too be honest I don't think anyone could have done a worse job at releasing a tablet than BlackBerry did. And that was suppose to be their introduction to the world of their new platform. An 8" table for the same price as a 10" tablet.... but with no email, and really no apps. It was cool if you had a BlackBerry phone - kinda limited the customer base.
    allen832008 and elfabio80 like this.
    07-25-16 11:18 AM
    But that's the problem... people don't buy just a base OS. They look at the hardware, and they just expect the apps to be there.

The time to work with developers was back when the PlayBook launched... Too be honest I don't think anyone could have done a worse job at releasing a tablet than BlackBerry did. And that was suppose to be their introduction to the world of their new platform. An 8" table for the same price as a 10" tablet.... but with no email, and really no apps. It was cool if you had a BlackBerry phone - kinda limited the customer base.
    Totally agree there. That was the worst product launch I can remember from a company with the pedigree BlackBerry had. And really snowballed the things to come. Which sucks with the PlayBook evolving into a reasonably nice tablet and then cut down again with no BB10 update.
    07-25-16 11:28 AM
    Totally agree there. That was the worst product launch I can remember from a company with the pedigree BlackBerry had. And really snowballed the things to come. Which sucks with the PlayBook evolving into a reasonably nice tablet and then cut down again with no BB10 update.
    Have to wonder if the PlayBook cause some developers to take a wait and see attitude with BlackBerry.
    allen832008 and PantherBlitz like this.
    07-25-16 01:15 PM
    Sure everyone could delete some of there apps....

Doesn't mean that suddenly the other half they are using will show up for BB10. Is FaceBook going to start working, will Instagram?
    Old Facebook app is still working, and there is Igrann and Inst10 for instagram.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 05:50 AM
    Universal apps will save BB10.

HTML5 will save BB10.

The app wall will save BB10.

*Nothing* will save BB10.

I know which of the above I'd put my money on.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    allen832008 likes this.
    07-27-16 05:56 AM
    Universal apps will save BB10.

HTML5 will save BB10.

The app wall will save BB10.

*Nothing* will save BB10.

I know which of the above I'd put my money on.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    LOL - how true.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 09:56 AM