I was just wondering when clicking on a phone number from the browser why cant bb10 recognize it as phone number and automatically launch Phone like in the OS7 instead having to copy and paste every time. So annoying. Just a thought.

Posted via CB and Loving 10.2.1.1055
    Homesmontreal likes this.
    11-26-13 12:30 PM
    Seriously? It cannot even in 10.2.1???? .....heavy sigh.....
    11-26-13 12:37 PM
    Yes it's an oversight that's been discussed on here often.

It's a formatting issue, or rather an issue of BB10 not recognizing certain styles of numbers as phone numbers in the Browser and elsewhere. It will get some.

Hopefully they fix this soon, as it is a silly annoyance.
    (That being said, I haven't actually checked if it is fixed on my current OS, 10.2.1.1055.)
    11-26-13 12:38 PM
    Seriously? It cannot even in 10.2.1???? .....heavy sigh.....
    I haven't checked yet! Now to find some phone numbers...
    11-26-13 12:40 PM
    I was just wondering when clicking on a phone number from the browser why cant bb10 recognize it as phone number and automatically launch Phone like in the OS7 instead having to copy and paste every time. So annoying. Just a thought.

It's because the website owner did not use the "tel:" uri so the phone can't recognize that its a phone #, They simple just put the phone number in text with out the tel: before it.
    if they added the tel: before the phone # it would have been launched into the dial pad ready to call.

hope that helps.
    11-26-13 12:42 PM
    I personally find copying and pasting very fiddly so a feature like this (I remember the Skype browser addon) would be very handy.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 12:42 PM
    Maybe this?

"The lawsuit involves four Apple patents for technology that allows users to touch a phone number on a Web page to dial the number..."

Apple files another U.S. patent suit against Samsung - Computerworld

... though I recall someone pointed about prior art, but that had to do with recognizing phone numbers within webpages. Whether adding touch to dial makes Apple's claim unique is unknown.
    11-26-13 12:45 PM

It can't because the website hasn't coded the website properly. II can show you many websites that on a BB10 you can click and have the phone dial it. BB10 is designed around standards. iOS doesn't comply with standards, they are scraping page looking for something that they think is a phone number. Contact the website administrator and tell them to fix their code.

Search Bing for a local stores phone number on your BB10. You will find the links will call the store.

BB10 has it right. The website is wrong. BB10 shouldn't move away from the standards.
    11-26-13 12:47 PM
    Yes it's an oversight that's been discussed on here often.

It's a formatting issue, or rather an issue of BB10 not recognizing certain styles of numbers as phone numbers in the Browser and elsewhere. It will get some.

Hopefully they fix this soon, as it is a silly annoyance.
    (That being said, I haven't actually checked if it is fixed on my current OS, 10.2.1.1055.)
    It will get the ones that have been formatted properly with tel:

The website isn't formatting their HTML code properly.
    swaggardo likes this.
    11-26-13 12:48 PM
    hmm, that's odd numbers work ok for me, I can just click on that and my phone prompts me to dial them.
    swaggardo likes this.
    11-26-13 12:49 PM
    hmm, that's odd numbers work ok for me, I can just click on that and my phone prompts me to dial them.
    That is because you are going to websites that have properly formatted phone numbers. BB10 worked with phone numbers if coded right since the beginning.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    11-26-13 12:55 PM
    It's because the website owner did not use the "tel:" uri so the phone can't recognize that its a phone #, They simple just put the phone number in text with out the tel: before it.
    if they added the tel: before the phone # it would have been launched into the dial pad ready to call.

hope that helps.
    I like i said in this previous post its exactly a formatting problem on the part of the website admin not a BB10 problem.

EXAMPLES
    Proper formatting: <a href="tel:555-5555">555-5555</a>
    In-proper formatting: 555-5555

Scan this and click the number on the page see what happens.

or visit http://pagebin.com/MeXDZSlz

hope that helps.
    LP_Rigg and Bluenoser63 like this.
    11-26-13 01:03 PM
    I like i said in this previous post its exactly a formatting problem on the part of the website admin not a BB10 problem.

EXAMPLES
    Proper formatting: <a href="tel:555-5555">555-5555</a>
    In-proper formatting: 555-5555

Scan this and click the number on the page see what happens.
    http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?c...n.com/MeXDZSlz

or visit http://pagebin.com/MeXDZSlz

hope that helps.
    Thanks for the heads up on this - Made me realize that our company's website contact page phone listings did not have the proper link attributes. In all honesty I had never thought about it that much, but since we also have a mobile optimized site I am a little embarrassed to have omitted that. All is now good - complete with pauses for extensions and working just fine on the Z10.
    11-26-13 02:24 PM
    YES YOU CAN !! if you see a phone number on the web browser, all you have to do is long press and it will get highlighted, then you get the menu tab appear on the right side, from there you have lots of options, which one of them is to CALL.
    Copy and Paste Phone Number from Browser-img_00000531.pngCopy and Paste Phone Number from Browser-img_00000530.png
    swaggardo likes this.
    11-26-13 02:26 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on this - Made me realize that our company's website contact page phone listings did not have the proper link attributes. In all honesty I had never thought about it that much, but since we also have a mobile optimized site it I am a little embarrassed to have omitted that. All is now good - complete with pauses for extensions and working just fine on the Z10.
    Excellent!! Kudos. I wish more companies will do this. Then we wouldn't have problems. Improperly formed web pages are just that.
    LP_Rigg and swaggardo like this.
    11-26-13 02:32 PM
    It can't because the website hasn't coded the website properly. II can show you many websites that on a BB10 you can click and have the phone dial it. BB10 is designed around standards. iOS doesn't comply with standards, they are scraping page looking for something that they think is a phone number. Contact the website administrator and tell them to fix their code.

Search Bing for a local stores phone number on your BB10. You will find the links will call the store.

BB10 has it right. The website is wrong. BB10 shouldn't move away from the standards.
    But how come on OS7 if u click on a number on Google for example, it will prompt if you want to call. It worked then

11-26-13 04:41 PM
    But how come on OS7 if u click on a number on Google for example, it will prompt if you want to call. It worked then

I tried to explain that. The iOS browser looks for numbers that are not part of the HTML standard. It's trying to guess if the number on the screen as text is a phone number or not. They are doing things that are not part of a HTML browser that is compliant. It it like back in the old days when IE didn't work with standards, they worked outside the specs which lead to a lot of work for web site developers to try and make all kinds of changes to their sites to try and make them render properly on all browsers. BB10 works with HTML 5 standard which is the future. They shouldn't be modifying the HTML parser to deal with stuff that is not within the standards.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    11-26-13 05:26 PM
    I use Yelp to search for addresses and ph numbers and I copy and paste on there. I'm on 1055

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 08:22 PM
    @bluenoser63 All I can say is amen to your comments. We work very hard to make our pages cross browser compatible using wc3 standards. IE has been a nightmare for web developers with all the conditional statements. It has gotten better, but it has been a moving target.

Posted via CB10
    swaggardo likes this.
    11-26-13 08:33 PM